Book worms.... what are you reading???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparklepink

modges r us..we r coolio!
Reaction score
Hey Geekios,
i know we are addicted to this site but are any of you out there book worms and if so what do you read and what are you reading at the mo....???
im as cb said boring i like good old fashion romance and chick lit... i know it can be a bit predictable but its an escape and better than telly when ya really into ya book and cant put it down!!
im reading Shopaholic and Sister by Sophie Kinsella its a follow on from Shopaholic Ties the knott which is also in she shopaholic series

Jess
xox

Im reading 'Bag of Bones' by Stephen King. So far - one of his best IMO.
Maybe a little book icon next to the film and movie icon is in order ;)

on my flight back from new york this morning i managed to finish dan brown's the divinci code.
it gripped me all the way home!
as the novels work out cheaper to buy in the us, i bought the other 2 he has written, or was it 3?
i've just started angels & demons.
i hope it's as good as the divinci code.
liza x

O, Liza. let me know. I loved the code. He wrote it long before Angels and teh code has become very popular since then. I am curious what his other stuff is like.

I'm about 3/4 through The Da Vinci code - gripping stuff, get ya burnt at the stake over here in Ireland though!

Sean's read all three of Dan Brown's, but I think the Da Vinci code was his favourite.

I have 'The Fiery Cross' by Diana Gabaldon, ready to read, I've had it for AGES now, but because it's the last one so far, I don't want to read it until there's another one to follow it....... (please let there be another one!)

Like Jess, I'm really fond of a bit of escapism via various chic lit novels (yes, loved the Shopaholic series too ;)!). However, as someone who has spent some 18 odd years working in the City of London and yet very little time actually exploring or knowing anything much of substance about its history, I decided to start on Peter Ackroyd's tomb of London, The Biography. So far its making for a really intriguing read and so facscinating to learn about the history of the exact areas in which I have worked and how the past links with the present. After years of doing my utmost to bunk off history lessons at school, I'm feeling quite pleased with myself! Today London, tomorrow World History - eughhhh...but then again, maybe not...:zzz:

I'm reading 'Desperation' by Stephen King just now also picked up 'Tragically I was an only twin' by Peter Cook. Looks fascinating he really was a very funny bloke

Debz xx

I'm reading Feel by Robbie Williams

Jue xxx

I am reading Sickened at the moment, cant remember the author but it about a young girl who's mum has munchausen syndrome!!! Heartbreaking stuff, i am also halfway through a soppy historiacal romance and reading Nail Structure & Product Chemistry for the hundreth time, gripping LOL

Amanda

Just finished reading Priestess of Avalon which is last in the Avalon series a King arthur and roman myths series, superb books and now i am going back to read the other Dan Brown books i got for christmas.

Read Angels and Demons and Da Vinvi code last year when in the states and have been hooked on him ever since now Im about to read the code breaker which is one of his first books, sounds good from th blurb on the back.

have to say though do love a trashy girl power novel, easy reading and you can pick up with it anytime.
x

Ooooh Lily I read that book last year its is so sad! I dont know how these people forgive their parents for doing things like that to them - imagine telling your child there was something wrong with their heart and giving them matchsticks to suck on!!!

I'm reading Emma at the moment I never finished it at school and wanted something 'period drama'. I have recently read some excellent books though, The above mentioned Da Vinci Code I didnt think it would be my kind of book but it is brilliant so if you havent read it get it now - Even my mum has!!

The best 2 books that i read last year were by Alice Sebold. I make a habit of never reading 2 books consecutively from the same author but these were truly amazing. The Lovely Bones is just beautiful I cant really explain it, Its about a young girl who is murdered and watches the events after her death from Heaven. It won Richard & Judys award and its fab.
Her second book is Sebolds biography. It takes you back to 1981 when she raped at 18 - Serious stuff.

I read everything and dont have a favourite book but up there for me is Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho - Not for the faint hearted!, Paulo Coleho's The Alchemist, Wasted by Mikki Goffin, Lord of the Flies, Pride n Prejudice um, um actually the list goes on and on as I like anything welll written.

Oh actually out of curiosity, did anyone read Tales of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norris? I got it for my birthday and its like adults Harry Potter, it looks like a book of spells and can barely be lifted - about 2" thick! - Took me a month to read!!!!

I'm reading Martina Cole's Goodnight Lady, I'm addicted to her books, they are gritty, hard, powerful and totally amazing reads. Some of them require a strong stomach as some of the topics covered can be quite hard to read but once you've read the first page there's no going back.
x

Desperation was sweet. If fact - one of his better ones :)

RedAdmiral said:
Ooooh Lily I read that book last year its is so sad! I dont know how these people forgive their parents for doing things like that to them - imagine telling your child there was something wrong with their heart and giving them matchsticks to suck on!!!

The best 2 books that i read last year were by Alice Sebold. I make a habit of never reading 2 books consecutively from the same author but these were truly amazing. The Lovely Bones is just beautiful I cant really explain it, Its about a young girl who is murdered and watches the events after her death from Heaven. It won Richard & Judys award and its fab.
Her second book is Sebolds biography. It takes you back to 1981 when she raped at 18 - Serious stuff.

Hiya Yeah its abit distressing, i have also read all the Books by Dave Pelzer, child called it!!!!! OMG i cried buckets, i want to read The Lovely Bones but i dont know if i can!!!!!!

I likes Riders, Rivals and Polo by Jilly Cooper but get into the Man Who Made HUsbands jelous or Appasionata, too many characters and got a little confusing........

Best books i have ever read are The Rats and The Fog by James Herbert :Scared:
fantastic Author.

Amanda

AAh Jess I didn't say you were boring :lick:
I have just finished the da vinci code.......fabulous book.
I have also got Shopaholic and Sister next i LOVE those books
Have also read Sickened which made me cry it was so heartbreaking
Reading Bill Bryson Short History of Nearly Everything.....looking good so far!!

BUT my fave fave book of ALL time is Margaret Atwood The Handmaids Tale....you must all read it.

Happy reading geekios

CB
xxx

Lily said:
i have also read all the Books by Dave Pelzer, child called it!!!!! OMG i cried buckets
trying to read while you're crying is hard, those books affected me the same way..... how anyone could go through what he did and still be around to tell the story is amazing.

not long ago I read Sara Payne, A Mother's Story, quite hard to read because you remember it all being on tv and can visualise it all as you're reading the book, tears again with this one, quite detailed with how they coped through it all, another addictive book.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden – an amazing book and what’s even more incredible its written by a man, and I only say this because of the way its written, if you’ve read this fabulous book you’ll know what I mean…***** 5 Stars for me..

I read pretty much everything I can get my hands on - Patricia Cornwell, Stephen King, John Grisham type stuff as well as the usual chick-lit. I'm currently reading a book about Nostradamus which is attempting to unscramble his predictions for the years 2003 - 2025. Scary stuff, if you take it seriously.

I tend to read cos I find tv is mostly a waste of time - I'm one of those people who shouts at the screen a lot (especially during soaps - I mean, a whole family has disappeared without a trace (EE - Ferreiras) and nobody's mentioned it? Come on!) so reading is a good alternative.

The only problem with reading so much is finding enough books to keep me going! I tend to buy most of mine from charity shops, then give them back when I've finished them. Wish there was some sort of book exchange system locally - might work out a bit cheaper!

Vod
X

Always wanted to read Nostradamus' predictions, How is the book? Is it hard to read or take in?

Oh and I'm raging now - how could I have said that I liked anything over A HandMaids Tale? I thank the day Mrs Patchett recommended that to me for A-Level!! What a read for Women, Saw the film too!! must blow the dust off that one tonight!!

Fab Freak said:
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden – an amazing book and what’s even more incredible its written by a man, and I only say this because of the way its written, if you’ve read this fabulous book you’ll know what I mean…***** 5 Stars for me..

Totally agree with you Fab Freak - this book was so different from anything else I'd read and it's fantastic.

I love reading and read mostly novels and autobiographies/biographies.

At the moment I'm reading 'Trading Up' by Candace Bushnell - she wrote Sex and The City. It's good, not the best I've read, but it is a good beach book.

I've got loads of books waiting to be read:

'Tis' by Frank McCourt - follow up to 'Angela's Ashes' (brilliant book)
'Paradise City' by Lorenzo Carcaterra - he wrote 'Gangsta' which is one of the best books I've ever read. It's a real epic and all you Goodfellas fans out there should definitely read it.
'True Crime' by Jake Arnott
'Scar Tissue' by Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers

I can't go into Waterstones without coming out with 3 books on the 3 for 2 offer!

Ben Elton 'High Society' is on my recommended list.

I also like Jilly Cooper books.

Has no-one mentioned the Phillip Pullman books yet? His Dark Materials trilogy is amazing:

Northern Lights
The Subtle Knife
The Amber Spyglass

Oops, sorry for going on but as you can see I really do loooooooove reading!

Latest posts

Back