Why Does This Happen-Skin Under Nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily S

Cheap ain't nice and nice ain't cheap <3
Reaction score
I probably should already know this but, I don't :o ..my college memory isn't brilliant, if we were ever even taught such things? :rolleyes:

I have had my current set of nails on for just over 2 months and have yet again noticed some skin growing underneath them.

DSC_0913.jpg

Here is the pic, please ignore the fact that my nail is discoloured now, urgh!!

Once I take the extensions and acrylic off and cut my own nails down, where these bits are, they get quite sore - is it because I'm a biter and my nail bed is just extending to where it naturally should be?

This is called your hyponychium it's the seal between the nail plate and the skin of the fingertip should never touch this which is why it will be sore as it's living tissue some people's are bigger then others.

I mainly come across this with people with big nail beds.

As MissLB said, hyponychium. I'd never really noticed mine until I started training as a nail tech and I have quite big ones too :lol:

You can't cut your nails down too short, as also said above, if you cut into it, not only will it hurt (have you ever got a splinter under your nail by accident!! ouch), but your nailbed will become open for pathogens/infections. It is a protective seal xx

What I'm actually wondering is if it's normal for them to have grown? They were never like this before I had enhancements...

I have this problem when I have had my natural nails quite long...although Solar Oil works wonders at shrinking it :)

This is an extension of the nail bed and packed with nerve endings which is why it hurts. It seems to grow to give the free edge some extra support. It can also be found on certain shapes of nail, usually the long nail bed oval nail.

Don't, push it or file the natural nail down to its level. It just fine where it is.

Thank you, I will be leaving it alone when I next soak them all off :)

I also only notice mine when i have enhancements on but I quicly figured out it was because when my nails are bare i am constantly picking dirt out from under the free edge, thus pushing the hyponychium back...

Latest posts

Back