Blepharitis & Eyelash Tinting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalez69

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for some help as i had a client come in to me for an eyelash tint. During the consultation i always ask if she has any eye problems or conditions and she replied i have slightly watery eyes but apart from that no. I said thats fine and she had been tinted before and had patch test done. Once i applied the tint she said she had been having problems with her eyes at the end of last year and it was diagnosed as blephariritis so she has to bathe her eyes alot and not wear mascara which is why she wanted them tinted. Her eyes looked completely normal with no swelling, redness or sign of infection their. As she told me so far into the eyelash tint the tint had taken by the time i took it off and i said to her that if she had an infection we wouldnt be able to treat her. She replied she didnt have an infection at this time so is it ok to tint her?

I did a serch and found this:

Blepharitis is a very common infection/inflammation of the eyelids caused by bacteria that live normally on our skin producing irritating chemicals. As a result special tear glands, called meibomian glands, located in the eyelids, get blocked up. Since these glands help to make our tears, blepharitis results in the production of abnormal tears. This is not a lack of tears, but tears that are of poor quality. It is known that blepharitis is often associated with skin problems such as dandruff and dermatitis.
You will know that you have blepharitis if the rims of the eyelids are red and little crusts stick the eyelashes together. The whites of the eyes are often red and sore. In the mornings the eyelids stick together, sometimes with a yellow discharge. These changes cause the eyes to be sore and irritable, with a gritty foreign body feeling. Watering of the affected eye is common.

From what you said it sounds like she didn't have an infection at the time she came into see you, so should be ok.

But if in doubt, since she was being treated by her doctor, get her to bring you a GP letter.

Presumably you did the patch test?
I've done a search on this condition and this is what I've found :

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Blepharitis is a chronic inflammation of the eyelids which causes irritation, itching, and occasionally a red eye. Blepharitis can begin in early childhood producing "granulated eyelids," continue through life as a chronic condition or it may develop in later life. There may be a loss of eyelashes and distortion to the margins of the eyelids, which can cause chronic tearing. It may appear in one of two ways.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SEBORRHEIC BLEPHARITIS is characterized by redness of the lids, scales and flaking around the eyelashes. It is often associated with dandruff of the scalp.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ULCERATIVE BLEPHARITIS is a more severe condition cased by bacteria and is characterized by matted hard crusts around the eyelashes which upon removal leave small ulcers that may bleed or ooze. The white part of the eye may turn red. In severe cases, the cornea (the clear front window of the eye) may become inflamed.[/FONT]

I'd be inclined to seek Doctors approval for future treatments as it already suggests that there is an inflammation problem which can surely only be further aggrevated by this procedure. Furthermore, if it's caused by bacteria you are also putting other clients at risk. It's always better to air on the side of caution I think.

Claire x​

Sorry Michidda, you obviously posted whilst I was still searching.

Sorry Michidda, you obviously posted whilst I was still searching.

No problem BodyAngels :p

As they say "Great minds think alike" :hug:

I do someone who has this condition on and off.Obviously i dont do it when they have it and always check for any sign of it and she knows if she is getting it.
I use an orange stick to apply to lashes and i do not get too close to the skin i leave a little gap.Then i remove tint with cotton buds rolling away from the eye and finish with damp pads always away from the eye.She has less problems since having them tinted because she doesnt have to use mascara and remove it.
As said before check with her dr if you are at all worried.

you should get her to sign a disclaimer also stating that she did not inform you of the condition even though you had asked about any eye conditions until the treatment was almost complete. In this "sue you" climate you can never be too careful.

Would you say that eyelash tinting could be the cause of Blepharitis or, could aggravate a pre existing condition ?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back