Colouring white hair- advice needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samstrach

Reaction score
I have a new client who has previous quite gold highlights and completely white roots with regrowth of at least an inch.

She wants less yellow and obviously roots covered.

I suggested going in with two shades of foils to break up the yellow, maybe a light ash brown colour and a violet. I know I need to add in a base such as 99/0. I don’t know if I should do global 99/0 first, then foil, or if foils using a mix of 50% 99/0 + 50% of each different colour alternating will do the job, maybe 9/16 and 9/17. She wants a non yellow, natural end result. I didn’t want to bleach as her hair is quite coarse. Am I thinking correctly here? I want to make sure the root line is gone, reduce the yellow lengths and end up with a natural looking multitonal blonde that I can repeat easily in the future. There will be some of her current roots/lengths remaining between the foils, which may blend in nicely ? Or I could tone afterwards?

Any advice greatly appreciated, I do not have a lot of experience colouring white hair.
Many thanks in advance.

I have a new client who has previous quite gold highlights and completely white roots with regrowth of at least an inch.

She wants less yellow and obviously roots covered.

I suggested going in with two shades of foils to break up the yellow, maybe a light ash brown colour and a violet. I know I need to add in a base such as 99/0. I don’t know if I should do global 99/0 first, then foil, or if foils using a mix of 50% 99/0 + 50% of each different colour alternating will do the job, maybe 9/16 and 9/17. She wants a non yellow, natural end result. I didn’t want to bleach as her hair is quite coarse. Am I thinking correctly here? I want to make sure the root line is gone, reduce the yellow lengths and end up with a natural looking multitonal blonde that I can repeat easily in the future. There will be some of her current roots/lengths remaining between the foils, which may blend in nicely ? Or I could tone afterwards?

Any advice greatly appreciated, I do not have a lot of experience colouring white hair.
Many thanks in advance.
99/0 will your be you coverage for the base. My concern would be that using 99/0 with 9/16 or 9/17 I'm foils won't go ve a massive variation. It will give different tones , but the end result would be a very subtle multi toned level 9.
I think I'd be inclined to do the root coverage , then go back in and lowlight with 8/96 + 8/1 then use 10/0 + 10/16 + 9% for the highlight.
This will give a nice cooler multi toned blonde.

Latest posts

Back