Free edge starts too low down my nail!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helbel030

Reaction score
Has anyone dealt with a client who’s free edge starts quite low down before the tip of their finger? On one of my fingers, the free edge starts quite low as I used to bite my nails right down and they have never really recovered!

How do you deal with it? I know there is the rule where 2/3 of the nail is pink and the other 1/3 is white but if I do that on this nail, it will be really short and daft looking. What can I do? I don’t really want to file it all the way down and then put a tip on but then if I grow it, half of the nail will be white free edge and the other half pink nail bed – has anyone got any advice?

I hope this makes sense!!

What tips are you using clear or white?

Helbel030 said:
Has anyone dealt with a client who’s free edge starts quite low down before the tip of their finger? On one of my fingers, the free edge starts quite low as I used to bite my nails right down and they have never really recovered!

How do you deal with it? I know there is the rule where 2/3 of the nail is pink and the other 1/3 is white but if I do that on this nail, it will be really short and daft looking. What can I do? I don’t really want to file it all the way down and then put a tip on but then if I grow it, half of the nail will be white free edge and the other half pink nail bed – has anyone got any advice?

I'm a nail biter (when I'm not wearing enhancements) so know what you mean about not having enough pink to look in proportion.

You could use a coverage gel to hide the free edge so you can then place your smile line where you want it (or use custom blend if you use L & P). I'm currently wearing Akzentz warm coverage pinkfor this very reason.

hth

Lou

I wasn't sure whether to use clear or white tips. Clear probably cos this problem nail broke the other day and now is shorter than all the rest. I've got nsi balance blush but I'm not sure if that's pink enough to hide it. I wish I'd never bitten them!!

Balance Blush (NSI) won't be dark enough to hide. You'll need more coverage than that. NSI are supposed to be coming out with a new shade called Majestic Pink. I'm not certain when this will be available. Try Akzentz coverage gels, or Light Elegance one step Pink.

if i were you, i'd use clear tips or natural tips and use a coverage gel. as someone said akzentz warm coverage pink is fantastic for this. all you do is put your smile lines up higher than they actually are and then push the pink up to meet it. make sure that you don't have the nails too long though because you don't have a great platform to work on and therefore will prib not last as long, have them a little bit shorter (just for a while) x

Helbel030 said:

As a nail biter myself i find with white tips my nails just look "all white" as i dont have a very long nail bed so what i do is i sculpt and use a custom blend to hide my natural nail line looks so much better HTH xx

If you have some free edge, I would extend the nail by sculpting and custom blending - that way you have a a natural extended looking nail bed and free edge.

HTH Debbie xx

Helbel030 said:
I wasn't sure whether to use clear or white tips. Clear probably cos this problem nail broke the other day and now is shorter than all the rest. I've got nsi balance blush but I'm not sure if that's pink enough to hide it. I wish I'd never bitten them!!

NSI now have a powder called pink mask, this is in their new attraction range and is in response to creatives opac pink, the name of which has completely escaped me:irked:
Any way this is an opac as in solid none see through colour, to be used to cover up less then perfect nails.
Or put a clear tip on, put your smile line where it looks the best, pink in zone 2 and 3 and then nail art to cover that line where the real nail ends. I whatched angel fingers do this last week and it looked fab.

Hi geeks!

Thanks for all your replies, I'm gonna use natural tips and pink gel over them. If it doesn't work, I'll just not show people that finger!! Lol!

Haven't tried sculpting yet cos it looks a bit daunting and I'm a bit scared!!

Latest posts

Back