Hi-lift tint didn't take to hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00becky00

Reaction score
Hey all,
I did a bleach bath on my friends' hair, which lifted it from a base 6/7 to about an 8/9 with a few yellow tones and then some orange tones. I then applied the hi-lift Schwarzkopf Igora Royal in 12-19 with 40vol (never used this brand before, but was the perfect shade). I thought this would work brilliantly as the colour is very cool violet/blue blonde so would counteract the warmth, but it hardly made a difference. It did tone a bit, but needed lift too, and the colour that grabbed in the more porous areas turned out the perfect colour we wanted to achieve (light/silver). The overall result is bits of silver, then more blonde with some darker much warmer bits. SO...my question is, what step should I take next to even out the colour and remove the stubborn warmness AND lighten? I thought of possibly the L'Oreal Efassor recommended by a friend to use on just the much warmer bits, but i have not used it before. Any advice?
X

...so that's a no then.
Seriously, there's no one out there can help me??? :rolleyes:

...so that's a no then.
Seriously, there's no one out there can help me??? :rolleyes:

Sorry but you do need to be patient. People who have busy salon lives cannot sit on here all day.

I know you want answers immediately but it is not always possible.

Hello Becky,

Are you qualified or still studying?

Kimi

I've been fully qualified since 2008, but haven't done much hair since then due to personal reasons and currently refreshing my skills..

Ok. Someone else may correct me but high lift will only lift natural hair, not previously coloured. I'd go with a gentle bleach bath, maybe a 3% bleach bath and then tone. Hope this helps you out x

Ah right, I thought that because I had bleach bathed the hair already to a light shade that it would cover as there wasn't a natural pigment left. Maybe I was wrong then. I'll have to give the hair a rest for a bit and then try another bath. Thanks for the reply :) x

Ok. Someone else may correct me but high lift will only lift natural hair, not previously coloured. I'd go with a gentle bleach bath, maybe a 3% bleach bath and then tone. Hope this helps you out x

I agree with your post. However you can get hi lift to lift tint slightly it's not worth it when bleach and a low peroxide can do the job. Xx

Hey all,
I did a bleach bath on my friends' hair, which lifted it from a base 6/7 to about an 8/9 with a few yellow tones and then some orange tones. I then applied the hi-lift Schwarzkopf Igora Royal in 12-19 with 40vol (never used this brand before, but was the perfect shade). I thought this would work brilliantly as the colour is very cool violet/blue blonde so would counteract the warmth, but it hardly made a difference. It did tone a bit, but needed lift too, and the colour that grabbed in the more porous areas turned out the perfect colour we wanted to achieve (light/silver). The overall result is bits of silver, then more blonde with some darker much warmer bits. SO...my question is, what step should I take next to even out the colour and remove the stubborn warmness AND lighten? I thought of possibly the L'Oreal Efassor recommended by a friend to use on just the much warmer bits, but i have not used it before. Any advice?
X
Effassor is not designed to be used for this. It's not a bleach.

Ok then. As efassor isn't the right option, is it best to just do another gentle bleach bath again and just put it on to the darker parts rather than all over the "canary yellow" too? Or shall I put one on all over and just leave it on the darkest parts longer then take through the rest?

Surely you could just use a toner to tone down any warmer parts of the hair? (Depending on the desired shade choice & whether the overall depth is light enough?)

Well I am wanting the final colour to be very light (as in silvery light), which is why I chose this hi-lift tint at first because it would lift and tone at the same time. But as that hasn't worked I'm thinking a toner perhaps isn't enough :/

Then I guess you're just going to have to bleach bath it on a lower vol just to kick out any more warmth, then tone afterwards. Annoying process. :p

(Just make sure the condition of the hair is okay first!)

Very annoying process haha :p Still confused as to why hi-lift didn't affect bleached hair though! Any good toners you would recommend? I've only every really used the L'Oreal Luo toner P01 to banish brassiness - any better ones I should know about? :)

Very annoying process haha :p Still confused as to why hi-lift didn't affect bleached hair though! Any good toners you would recommend? I've only every really used the L'Oreal Luo toner P01 to banish brassiness - any better ones I should know about? :)

Hi lift tint isn't designed to colour correct previously coloured hair. The orange molecules present were not lifted by bleach, so would certainly not be lifted by high lift tint. Also high lift tint is not a toner, and shouldn't be used as one. The ammonia content is too high to successfully deposit pigment on Pre lightened hair.

If you lifted the tinted hair and was left with definite orange & yellow tones, why would you think a highlift tint would provide an overall even result?

Imagine you have half a pot of yellow paint & half a pot of orange paint. You add equal quantities of white paint to both pots.

Would you expect to see the same shade of colour in both pots of paint?

Sorry, but I'm baffled by your original method.

Last edited:
I guess I didn't think of it in that way :/ I just thought at the time that it would help a little bit at least.

I guess I didn't think of it in that way :/ I just thought at the time that it would help a little bit at least.

If i were you i would bleach bath the rest of the warmth very gently and then tone it ( ure looking for level 9? ) with a 9/8 or a 9/16 depending what end results you are after.. ( i work with wella ) 9/16 is my favorite though the 9/8 really makes it more ash ( more grey ) and the 9/16 leaves it more to a light beige tone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SalonGeek

Yeah a level 9 is definitely light enough. I think apart from the slightly warmer bits the vast majority is at about a 9 already. The target is to be a very cool blonde so I'll definitely look in to the shades you've suggested to me. Thankyou :)

Here's a pic of the current shade, if it helps.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1367479868.434427.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1367479868.434427.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,187

Latest posts

Back