How do I know if MMA has been used??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugarsavage

Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently had acrylic extensions done in a salon near me. Lots of things suggest that they use MMA (from what I have read). ie. Airbrushing, chinese techs, electric files, big brushes, face masks, product was in glass jars.

The thing is i'm confused as to whether they did use MMA - as I've only read about it. My nails look great and don't feel particularly hard. The product used didn't smell different to normal acrylic. The liquid was also a kind of purple colour and the salon was pretty hygenic.

Could anyone tell me what they think, whether I may have MMA on my nails?

Thankyoouuuu
xxxxxxxxx

Did the sanitize your nails?
Did they do a client consultation with you?
Did they drill on the natural nail plate?
Did you notice the products they were using, were they labled?

Davinia said:
Did the sanitize your nails?
Did they do a client consultation with you?
Did they drill on the natural nail plate?
Did you notice the products they were using, were they labled?

This won't tell you if they use MMA. The only way you will know is if they tell you - very unlikely - or to have it chemically analysed. This is the ONLY way you can REALLY tell - masks, efiles, Chinese staff, sanitation etc etc is NOT an indication that they use MMA.

I was asking questions, if the products were labled then she would be able to look them up and YES IT IS LISTED ON SOME BOTTLES.

From personal experience these nails are rock hard and are not good for the natural nail.
If you had a consultaion your technician would have told you what products she will be using.

Thank you for all your replies. I washed my hands before the tech started and she did aswell. I guess there should be more hygiene than that??

These extensions are pretty easy to file and soak off in acetone. I heard that with MMA this is practically impossible to do. Are there varying degrees of levels of MMA in a product?

How long does it take to soak EMA extensions off in acetone?

I didn't really have a consultation, I just went in and said I wanted Acrylic extensions.

Any replies gratefully recieved!!!

Thankyou

i suspect mma when it takes forever to soak off and gives off a awful odour,although as sass said you cant be totally sure. i have had clients who have questioned what they are using before the service and and a proper answer has been avoided due to "language" problems.lol

Sugarsavage said:
Thank you for all your replies. I washed my hands before the tech started and she did aswell. I guess there should be more hygiene than that??

These extensions are pretty easy to file and soak off in acetone. I heard that with MMA this is practically impossible to do. Are there varying degrees of levels of MMA in a product?

How long does it take to soak EMA extensions off in acetone?

I didn't really have a consultation, I just went in and said I wanted Acrylic extensions.

Any replies gratefully recieved!!!

Thankyou

MMA- takes longer to soak off their not imposible it just takes longer and with filing, its just alot harder due to the hardness of the product
EMA- it depends on the level of thick ness that was aplied but can be anything from 30mins upwards but you'll notice the difference.

I would like to point out to the person who gave me this comment in my reputation thingy 'stupid comment none of these things are bad alot of monomers are purple duh!'

I am not a trained nail tech - I logged onto this site to get information from people who knew what they were talking about. I don't know anything about the skills of nail technicians that's why I was asking advice. Next time, give me a constructive comment!!!

Hunny it's horrible when you receive silly comments like this, and pathetic on the part of the person who sent it, BUT if you fill out your profile then it will be easier to spot that you have come onto the site as a client and not as a tech.

And to those that give out neg rep, like Sugar says, make it constructive. What may seem like a daft question or comment to you could be something that this person really needs help with, it puts people off asking in the future, and we are here to learn ... aren't we?

Cheers Sassy

Thankfully most people on here are lovely and happy to help!!!

Most people are really supportive - like yourself. I really appreciate it!!

That was so not fair, this site is designed and here to help others we shouldn't judge we should guide, it clearly say "GEEKLIN" under her name meaning she's new to the site and may be new to nails.

Sugarsavage said:
I would like to point out to the person who gave me this comment in my reputation thingy 'stupid comment none of these things are bad alot of monomers are purple duh!'

I am not a trained nail tech - I logged onto this site to get information from people who knew what they were talking about. I don't know anything about the skills of nail technicians that's why I was asking advice. Next time, give me a constructive comment!!!

Looks like somebody likes to give newbies those red reputations as a welcome. I had one too, with a silly comment, but the geek was honest enough to sign her nick at least.

Latest posts

Back