I know we shouldn't diagnose but what is this on her nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire@OBNMK

Reaction score
This girl asked me to look at her nails for her, i told her i couldn't diagnose the problem so told her to go to a gp, but heres the pic, what do you think.
She gets psoriasis on her scalp and chest sometimes, very raley does she get it on her hands. she said she hasn't been to a gp but she thought it might be a fungal infection cos shes been putting curanail on it and she thinks it's getting better.

On the right nail on the right hand side of it, the nail has separated from the bed a little and the free edge is wavy where the desperation is.

On the left nail on the left side of it, the nail curved down to the side wall at a sharp angle, was thick and looked a little crumbly underneath, but the top of the nail wasn't crumbly at all, just some ridges and pitting.

Also both of her big toenails had a large white section on the corner of the free edge, the free edge was thick and i think some separation was there too.
There was no smell however.

TBH I've been spolit with ladies with reasonably good nails, this is the first time I've encountered nails in like this.
The other nails were ridgy and a bit pitty but not quite as bad.

I'm sure the seperation is onycholysis but as for the thickening and the state of the left nail, I'm not sure, Any thoughts??

Attachments

• stephs-nail.jpg
    stephs-nail.jpg
    33.9 KB
Psoriasis can affect the nails - ridging and pitting are very common. Send to GP x

Psoriasis can affect the nails - ridging and pitting are very common. Send to GP x

She did say she hadn't had psoriasis on her hands for ages,

but even if you get it on your hands can the damage last for a long time?

It can actually affect the nails as a separate issue to skin on the hands - she needs to have her treatment reassessed xx ( I work as a pharmacy technician also ) x

Without correct treatment the condition can be uncontrolled leading to flares and spread of patches x

It can actually affect the nails as a separate issue to skin on the hands - she needs to have her treatment reassessed xx ( I work as a pharmacy technician also ) x

Thats handy to know (u working in a pharmacy), thanks for the reply.

In your opinion, do you think she could have a fungal infection as well or not? (shes a manager in tescos, so shes not constantly in rubber gloves or anything like that), as i said there was no smell.

I told her to go back to the docs again.

(thanks for your help BTW it's much appreciated xx)

I'm guessing not a fungal infection - more the psoriasis xx happy to help with any pharmacy queries it's been by job for 20 years ! At 38 I'm making a change to Beauty x

I'm guessing not a fungal infection - more the psoriasis xx happy to help with any pharmacy queries it's been by job for 20 years ! At 38 I'm making a change to Beauty x

Good for you, at least you have a vast knowledge of medical conditions then! x

Latest posts

Back