Koleston Perfect development time?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamlea87

Reaction score
Hi guys when darkening with kp pure naturals how long would you process for? The instuctions say 30-40 mins is there any specific guidelines when to do 30mins or 40mins?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi guys when darkening with kp pure naturals how long would you process for? The instuctions say 30-40 mins is there any specific guidelines when to do 30mins or 40mins?

Thanks in advance

I do 35 normally, but 40 if there is lots of white hair x

Hi Adam, I tend to leave the pure naturals up to 45 minutes if covering white hair. I check at 35 minutes and then leave up to 45 minutes.

Awesome thanks guys. I will go for 35 mins in this case.

Its not actually going on anyones head, just for a little experiment im doing :p

Awesome thanks guys. I will go for 35 mins in this case.

Its not actually going on anyones head, just for a little experiment im doing :p

Ooh do tell ;) hehe x and I also do up to 45 mins with resistant white hair x

Haha. :) Swatch testing out three permanent black shades... Majirel 1, Koleston 22/0 & Live XXL 99 "Deep Black".

Will apply the colour up to 4 timea to create a build up of colour and then try to remove the colour with effasor.

What brand do you think will be the most difficult to remove??

Haha. :) Swatch testing out three permanent black shades... Majirel 1, Koleston 22/0 & Live XXL 99 "Deep Black".

Will apply the colour up to 4 timea to create a build up of colour and then try to remove the colour with effasor.

What brand do you think will be the most difficult to remove??

Oooh I think live XXL will be hardest to get out, then Majirel will be pretty much the same, and Koleston might be a little easier - I always think the formula is a little gentler x

I think xxl aswell... Cant wait to find out results! Xx

I would imagine XXL would be the most difficult but all three will be hard as it's a build up of black!

Commenting so I can keep updated on the results ;)

Ok guys, the results are in!!!

And MrColourGenius, you are soo wrong! :p

Just so you know what I did - using each brand, I coloured 2 swatches once, 2 swatches twice, 2 swatches three times & 2 swatches four times. The swatches along the top are after colouring, and down the bottom are after ONE application of effasor + 20vol, for 50 mins.

A few things about the colours themselves, as I used white swatches to begin with it was interesting to see the colours develop. The KP had a violet undertone (that could still be seen in the light after developing) whilst the MAJIREL & LIVE had a blue undertone that created a more neutral black.

I did not use any shampoo or conditioners at any time - only rinsing with water. The KP & MAJIREL swatches were shiny and smooth in comparison to the LIVE which was noticably more dull/matt and felt dry.

NOW FOR THE RESULTS!!! [drum roll]
L23U5Dh.jpg

The colours look little off in the photo due to the lighting here however...
The KP was by FAR the most stubbon to remove. The swatch with 1 colour application lifted to a 7/OY, after 4 applications it only lifted to a 5.

The MAJIREL with 1 application lifted to a 8/Y, after 4 applications to a 7/OY.

The LIVE was by FAR the easiest to lightenen!!! The first application lifted to a 9/Y and after 4 applications lifted to an 8/YO.

Last edited:
Wow!! That's amazing haha it's the complete opposite of what I would expect! Points go to wella for durability of colour then! Lol ;) xx

Opposite of what I guessed too! Very interesting though

Amazing :)

Did you apply one apllication after the other?

The advice given with removing colour is that older colour is more challenging to remove.

So I'm wandering, as we all know XXL is a nightmare to remove, doesn't something happen to it over time that makes it harder to remove?

The advice given with removing colour is that older colour is more challenging to remove.

So I'm wandering, as we all know XXL is a nightmare to remove, doesn't something happen to it over time that makes it harder to remove?

My understanding is that the silicon in it reacts with heat, so xxl plus straighteners is where the horrendous problems occur.

I'm guessing that people who use XXL at home may very well be using cheap silicone products at home!

XXL + nasty OTC products = impossible colour correction lol!

Ok guys, the results are in!!!

And MrColourGenius, you are soo wrong! :p

Just so you know what I did - using each brand, I coloured 2 swatches once, 2 swatches twice, 2 swatches three times & 2 swatches four times. The swatches along the top are after colouring, and down the bottom are after ONE application of effasor + 20vol, for 50 mins.

A few things about the colours themselves, as I used white swatches to begin with it was interesting to see the colours develop. The KP had a violet undertone (that could still be seen in the light after developing) whilst the MAJIREL & LIVE had a blue undertone that created a more neutral black.

I did not use any shampoo or conditioners at any time - only rinsing with water. The KP & MAJIREL swatches were shiny and smooth in comparison to the LIVE which was noticably more dull/matt and felt dry.

NOW FOR THE RESULTS!!! [drum roll]
L23U5Dh.jpg

The colours look little off in the photo due to the lighting here however...
The KP was by FAR the most stubbon to remove. The swatch with 1 colour application lifted to a 7/OY, after 4 applications it only lifted to a 5.

The MAJIREL with 1 application lifted to a 8/Y, after 4 applications to a 7/OY.

The LIVE was by FAR the easiest to lightenen!!! The first application lifted to a 9/Y and after 4 applications lifted to an 8/YO.

Hi Adam, really interesting experiment, thanks for sharing. Maybe cos XXL is an OTC product so not as durable as salon ones but I was surprised at your results! I guess the people that put those products on their hair often have a build up of other colours too which might explain why they can be a nightmare to get out in the salon?

Talking of colour removers could you help me please as having a debate with a colleague about the reduction colour removers such as the goldwell & affinage ones and oxidation methods such as bleach baths. Reading the label on effasor, it states it is a bleaching product, and checking the ingredients (persulphates etc) I thought that effasor would come into the oxidation category of colour removers and is the same process as a bleach bath but my colleague said she always thought it was a reducer.
As you are an expert on all things loreal what category would you class it in? Thanks x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi Adam, really interesting experiment, thanks for sharing. Maybe cos XXL is an OTC product so not as durable as salon ones but I was surprised at your results! I guess the people that put those products on their hair often have a build up of other colours too which might explain why they can be a nightmare to get out in the salon?

Talking of colour removers could you help me please as having a debate with a colleague about the reduction colour removers such as the goldwell & affinage ones and oxidation methods such as bleach baths. Reading the label on effasor, it states it is a bleaching product, and checking the ingredients (persulphates etc) I thought that effasor would come into the oxidation category of colour removers and is the same process as a bleach bath but my colleague said she always thought it was a reducer.
As you are an expert on all things loreal what category would you class it in? Thanks x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi glad you liked it! Yea I agree that one of the reasons that it can be difficult to remove is because people colouring their hair at home often overlap and take the colour though too much.

And you are right effasor is an oxidative remover. :thumbup:

Yep one after the other :)

I think when someone has been colouring their hair themselves (esp. Black) it is impossible for us to know the hair history, how often they take the colour though etc...

I dont think they even realise it sometimes, like when they say "oh it was only semi permanent and its all washed out now", even though you can see their hair is two different colours.

My understanding is that the silicon in it reacts with heat, so xxl plus straighteners is where the horrendous problems occur.

Hmm sounds interesting! :)

Latest posts

Back