Nail burn from file?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolleok89

Reaction score
Hi all!

I was removing shellac this morning from a regular client. By regular I mean she comes quite frequent however only 2 out of 10 times she gets them removed as she usually picks them off!

This morning she came to have them removed and re-applied.

I soaked them in acetone and began to scrape off with orange stick. There was a small bit of residue so I used the CND buffer to buff off leftover shellac.

On her baby finger she jumped and said u really hurt me, with that I stopped completely. There was a red shadow dot on the nail all of the rest were fine! I reapplied shellac and she jus said it was still hurting her but never mentioned it again.

Iv never experienced this before and I'm sick with worry! How could this of been avoided? I never file same area back and forth I literally just buffed over the centre of the nail. Your only as good as your last set of shellac and I was so surprised but tried to keep my cool with client. I have been doing shellac manicures for 3 years now...

Has anyone any helpful advice? I recommended the usual use her cuticle oil daily to strengthen the nails.

The trouble with forums is that we could all have a very different idea of what light buffing is so it's hard to tell but if it was enough to cause the sort of friction that would make someone wince then maybe you went a little harder/further than you thought with the buffing, maybe it was a brand new buffer so was just more effective.

This particular client's nails were already thinned from her repeatedly peeling off her shellac so it would have been better to rewrap and wait an extra minute or two rather than to buff the remaining base coat however tempting i may be to save time by doing this.

Don't beat yourself up about it, none of us are perfect, we all make mistakes or have off days, but lesson learned, when it comes to Shellac removal, don't try to cut corners, just rewrap, chat about the colour choices for a couple of minutes then try again and don't buff an already thin nail.

Sounds like the combination of picking the shellac off, maybe scraping the leftover off with a stick and also buffing the last off. All will thin the nail plate over time.

Tell her to stop picking it off, use the nourishing remover to remove and any residue use remover on a plastic back pad to rub it off.
Repair the nail using lots of solar oil, IBX if you have it will help and brisa lite smoothing to give extra protection and strength

Vicki x

Thanks very much for ur responses I just feel so guilty and stupid!!!!!! When she returns (if she doesn't pick it off again) what would be safest method to remove the shellac with that nail being damaged?

I just wish I would have sat and explained more to her and probably should of advised against another set of shellac?

Don't the picking is a killer and I have done it to myself. Just a minute longer wrapped, rub the residue off and lots of solar oil love. It will grow out :)
Vicki x

I have had this with clients who pick acrylic nails off and they ruin their own nails. If you been doing nails for 3 years I am sure you know if the natural nail is strong enough to withstand another treatment or not. I sometimes send my clients home after soak off if their natural nails are too thin and apply protein base coat. They return a week later and that break sometimes makes a difference, esp with clients who don't ever go without extensions.

I too was going to say i bet the picking off has really thinned her nails.

Latest posts

Back