Nail foil & nail damage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a client who's nails I have been doing for some time. In around Feb this year we stopped doing acrylics and moved onto manicures and nail foil application (nail foils most of the time). Upon removing acrylics her nails were fine but in time I have noticed the white free edge appears to be moving down her nails. My first thought is Onycholysis with the thought that perhaps filing away the nail foil at the free edge was too much trauma to the nail. I have however been concious of this and work very carefully.
I am unsure however that it is Onycholysis as I have seen pics of this nail disorder online and it doesn't seem the same. It doesn't seem anything is caught between the nail bed and nail plate and upon looking down the barrel from the free edge it doesn't seem that the nail has separated from the nail bed. It is also doesn't look as deep as the online pics.
My other thought was perhaps the adhesive in the nail foils could be causing this problem, sometimes the client removes them on her own by peeling them off. The removal for foils simply involves peeling the foil away slowly so I am unsure whether this could be the problem anyway.
Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Last edited:
Another thought, could it be use of scrub fresh to dehydrate the nail. This clients also has her hands in water quite a lot.

This does not sound like onycholysis ...it Sounds like a classic case of surface dehydration caused by wearing the nail veneers for too long a time. These veneers are supposed to be a temporary thing .. Not meant to be worn week after week endlessly .. Neither on toenails nor on fingernails. To add ... neither water nor ScrubFresh will dehydrate nails to such an extent. as you describe.

The veneers need to be removed carefully from side to side, after being well warmed up, not pulled off while the adhesive is cold. I can guarantee she will be removing them incorrectly which will compromise the surface of her nails and cause them to become excessively dehydrated.

She needs a break and daily use of Solar oil and her nails will be replenished with moisture in no time and the whitish patches will disappear.

Did they look something like these by any chance??
picture.php

Last edited:
I would definitely suggest this has been caused by having the foils on for a long period of time - they do not allow air to the natural nail and this whitening can appear if wearing them for prolonged periods of time. I have only ever come across this on toenails not fingernails as our customers have been known to keep them on toes for up to 7 weeks at a time. I agree with the comment about removal - the foils need to be heated first to make the adhesive more pliable, otherwise the client is pulling unnecessarily against her natural nail.

Latest posts

Back