Self employed hairdresser contract

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCsalon

Reaction score
Does anyone have a service contract for a self employed hairdresser or a rent a chair agreement???
I am struggling to find something I can use or adapt :(

Thanks in advance!

Can anyone please please help with a service contract for a self employed hairdresser or a rent a chair agreement???
I am struggling to find something I can use or adapt :(

You may find that people have paid for contracts like this so may be unwilling to share.

I think there was the hairdressers federation that helped if you were a member.

Vic x

You may find that people have paid for contracts like this so may be unwilling to share.

I think there was the hairdressers federation that helped if you were a member.

Vic x
Thanks Vic!
I thought as much. I am looking into but but there are so many places advertising that they write them its a bit hard knowing who to go to? Especially as there's nothing really out there that can be compared with?
Thanks though! x

http://www.nhf.info/home/

The National Hairdressing Federation is a good place to start especially if you're new to Salon ownership. They provide up to date information and advice for salon owners and freelance hairdressers and that includes draft contracts and sound legal advice.

You can download basic contracts free from the net but whether they have any legal standing is another matter. What's your legal position if a client decides to sue you and your chair renter because they burnt her with the scalp bleach?

Extract from a blog written by Andrew Egan (Employment law solicitor).

From 1 October 2012, any charge for ‘chair rental’ or similar at a hairdresser’s or beauty salon becomes standard rated for VAT.

For a number of years now, salon owners have allowed self-employed stylists to rent a chair, with a wash basin, and the surrounding area, arguing that this is a licence to occupy property or land, and therefore VAT-exempt. In many cases, this allowed the salon owner not to register for VAT.

In November 2007, the High Court held that the salon owner in fact supplied to the stylists ‘all the facilities requisite for the carrying on by him or her of the business of a hairdresser.’ The supply was therefore standard rated. In that case, the taxpayer salon owner owed over £80,000 of VAT because they registered for VAT 9 years late.

AcidPerm. Can you explain the extract to me?
Does this mean you can't supply products etc? X

The reason I posted the extract was to stress the point that whilst you and your renter may agree on the terms of your arrangement and even have a written contract in place, you can't necessarily assume it has legal standing if the courts determine otherwise. They can override the agreement.

In this case, it led to a massive VAT bill for the salon concerned and many salon owners nearing the VAT threshold having to hastily re-draft their rental agreements and include a charge for VAT.

In other cases, salons have been declared to have sham agreements where they are running the salon as if the staff are employed (setting prices, managing client data etc.) but arguing the stylists are self employed to avoid paying minimum wage, National Insurance, holiday pay etc.

That's why I always stress on these types of threads that it pays to get proper legal advice when starting your business and either employing staff or renting out a station.

We all moan about clients using box colours and expecting fabulous professional looking results. Is this really any different?

Ah ok! Thanks AcidPerm

Latest posts

Back