Shellac problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelstemialil

Reaction score
Hi,

Iv been using Shellac for years without any problems but the last few months it doesn't seem to have been lasting as long on clients. Just lost my second client today that's decided to paint them herself as it keeps chipping off within a week. I have changed nothing. I had a thought today though, could it be that my heating is left off in my converted garage on the 3 days I don't work?
Sometimes the shellac has crinkled on application and I'm now thinking it could be the temperature?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Iv been using Shellac for years without any problems but the last few months it doesn't seem to have been lasting as long on clients. Just lost my second client today that's decided to paint them herself as it keeps chipping off within a week. I have changed nothing. I had a thought today though, could it be that my heating is left off in my converted garage on the 3 days I don't work?
Sometimes the shellac has crinkled on application and I'm now thinking it could be the temperature?

Thanks in advance

Which lamp are you using, UV or LED. If UV, it could be your bulbs need changing?

A very obvious question, but I'll assume you are shaking your Shellac colours vigorously before use also?

Which lamp are you using, UV or LED. If UV, it could be your bulbs need changing?

A very obvious question, but I'll assume you are shaking your Shellac colours vigorously before use also?
Hi, my lamp is the LED one and yes shake my bottles just the same. X

Is it all clients or just these two? Wrinkling normally suggests under curing or applied too thick. If you haven't changed anything in your application check that there isn't cured product on any of the bulbs, clients are rubbish at putting their hands in the lamp without knocking them.

I work from a building attached to my house so like you when I'm not working it can get very cold. If it's going to be below freezing I keep an Oil filled radiator on 24/7 on its lowest setting just to ensure my products stay unaffected.

Is it all clients or just these two? Wrinkling normally suggests under curing or applied too thick. If you haven't changed anything in your application check that there isn't cured product on any of the bulbs, clients are rubbish at putting their hands in the lamp without knocking them.

I work from a building attached to my house so like you when I'm not working it can get very cold. If it's going to be below freezing I keep an Oil filled radiator on 24/7 on its lowest setting just to ensure my products stay unaffected.
Hi,

Thank you, never thought of this I will check my lamp. It's happened to 3 clients in particular and all of them have early appts, when the room has been cold over night. X

I put the the bottles inbetween my legs while I'm prepping the nails. It goes on much easier then.

Just an idea but could you put a light shining on your shellac display stand? It would just look like retail display lighting but it would actually be the warming your bottles up.
Just an idea [emoji362]

I'm mobile & although bringing my kit in & out all the time can be a pain, I ALWAYS bring my kit in & the end of my working day to maintain the integrity of my products. Can't you just have a little basket pop your shellac in it & just keep them in your house if your not working? I know it seems a bit of a hassle, but if it is the temperature that's the issue it's a small price to pay compared to losing clients xx

I'm mobile & although bringing my kit in & out all the time can be a pain, I ALWAYS bring my kit in & the end of my working day to maintain the integrity of my products. Can't you just have a little basket pop your shellac in it & just keep them in your house if your not working? I know it seems a bit of a hassle, but if it is the temperature that's the issue it's a small price to pay compared to losing clients xx
Hi,

I'm working from my house doing shellac for the next couple of weeks to see if there is a difference. X

Maybe your bulbs need replacing, or change the fuse, maybe it's not getting hot enough to set the Shellac?

Maybe your bulbs need replacing, or change the fuse, maybe it's not getting hot enough to set the Shellac?

Shellac doesn't need heat to set it. It's uv cure.

Just an idea but could you put a light shining on your shellac display stand? It would just look like retail display lighting but it would actually be the warming your bottles up.
Just an idea [emoji362]
Doing this could actually cure your shellac in the bottle.x

If your shellac is wrinkling,it is sounds like it is to do with being applied too thick.
Go back to basics, are you throughly prepping your clients nail? Wiping under the free edge,? Scrub fresh the nail until it squeaks? Applying the base coat by pushing it on to the nail? Capping first instead of at the end of each layer? Using the correct top coat for that individual client? X

Also, is the nail completely dry before you apply base coat?

Try the new top coat...clients coming in 3 weeks later and not a chip since I've got that in x

Latest posts

Back