Wrong mix-ratio and yellowing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoLimitNails

Reaction score
Hi all

As I cannot find an answer doing a search I hope all you clever geeks can help me.

As I have started using the ultra sculptor from CND (which I LOVE) I have had a few problems with my mix-ratio, or working to fast (might try moxie) But my biggest concern(sp?) is that the product yellows, not much and not all over.
At first it was because I hadn't completely removed the gum form the ultra sculptor, but with help from lovely Gigi and my local distributer I now have an Ultra sculptor who is completely clean, no yellowing from ferrule or anything.
Then I noticed that the product was still yellow in places (often the middle of my smile where the product is not being worked as much IYKWM (but still not as much as when I used the conterminated one) I tried new monomer, new powder and still results are the same:irked:

As I can tell I now have bubbles in my product, I know that due to the bigger brush I probably need to work on the mix-ratio, but can wrong mixratio cause yellowing???

Hi,
I am not sure but I also have a cnd brush and showed my educator the yellow mark it made when wiping on a tissue and she said that this was contamination of the brush.
I am lucky at the moment as it isn't effecting my product but this may worsen.
I know you mentioned you had cleaned the gum but this might be another reason :hug:

Yes wrong mix ratio can affect but you would see it over a period of time ... if you see yellowing instantly then this is brush contamination.

Can't understand why you are having this problem. Are you storing the brush too wet or are you allowing it to dry out? Brushes need to be used and often and stored correctly . I wish I was there to watch you!!

So would I Gigi.:hug:

It's so weird, the brush doesn't dry out but isn't stored to wet, I clean it every day in clean monomer and after use, it's stored in the CND metal brush case, actually it's pointing more down with the head, but not touching the bottom of the case though.

It's not a very visible yellowing, but it's there, not when I wipe my brush, just on the white product and just a tiny bit. Could it be me that sees yellow now beacuse I'm afraid of it? I tried using the normal translucent pink besides it on a tip (butting it up to but not to much over) and it did seem like it was gone. Normally I use the opaque powders. And one of my clients with p&w came by today and they did not look yellow from a distance (she'll have a rebalance on thursday and by then I can inspect them closer)
I can compare it to when I tried making white beads on a lint free pad after a few minutes there are yellow around, the bead itself isn't that yellow, but a bit.

Maybe it is just me, after the problems with the first brush (MY fault I found out) Am I just seing ghosts, and his is the normal colour of the set bead. I have never ever tried this before, but I have also never looked so much at the white beads as I do now:irked:

I feel quite stupid.... Maybe I'm not ready for the big girls brush LOL

Last edited:
So would I Gigi.:hug:

It's so weird, the brush doesn't dry out but isn't stored to wet, I clean it every day in clean monomer and after use, it's stored in the CND metal brush case, actually it's pointing more down with the head, but not touching the bottom of the case though.

It's not a very visible yellowing, but it's there, not when I wipe my brush, just on the white product and just a tiny bit. Could it be me that sees yellow now beacuse I'm afraid of it? I tried using the normal translucent pink besides it on a tip (butting it up to but not to much over) and it did seem like it was gone. Normally I use the opaque powders. And one of my clients with p&w came by today and they did not look yellow from a distance (she'll have a rebalance on thursday and by then I can inspect them closer)
I can compare it to when I tried making white beads on a lint free pad after a few minutes there are yellow around, the bead itself isn't that yellow, but a bit.

Maybe it is just me, after the problems with the first brush (MY fault I found out) Am I just seing ghosts, and his is the normal colour of the set bead. I have never ever tried this before, but I have also never looked so much at the white beads as I do now:irked:

I feel quite stupid.... Maybe I'm not ready for the big girls brush LOL

Well the CND bead is white if you are using the white and maybe you are looking to hard and seeing things that are not there ... are you looking before finishing? why not try finishing before you make your final judgement. You don't get a much whiter white than CND and the product is totally colour stable and never yellows. Try again and finish the nail off (maybe on a tip) and see how you go.

That's my thoughts too.

I have never had or heard of the CND white yellowing either, thats why I thought I did something wrong.

I have a couple of hours now and will do some tips, and maybe try radical (with another brush ofcourse) and then compare. And yes I was looking before the finishing of the nails.

Thank you so much for your help Gigi you are a star!!!

Ok a little update and feel free to make fun of me now!!!!
I did 4 tips, two with the ultra sculptor and rentention, two with another brush and radical. Now I tried to not look before finishing the nail, but both of them seemed a bit yellow to me, then i butted neutral up to the smile on all 4 and still I thought oh this isn't good, why oh why.... I finished filing and no no no stil yellow.... then i started thinking all this has happend to me only at my new salon, so I took the nails outside in the daylight and no yellowing at all!!! So apart from the real yellowing with the first brush I hadn't cleaned enough, this is all down to my light in the room!!!!!!! I have a daylight manicure lamp, but apparantly the light in the room is so yellow they look yellow.
How embarrased am I right now, but please feel free to have a laugh all of you, and Gigi I cannot belive how much I have bothered you, when you had it all figured out for me the first time!!! You are a sweetheart xx

Last edited:
That's my thoughts too.

I have never had or heard of the CND white yellowing either, thats why I thought I did something wrong.

I have a couple of hours now and will do some tips, and maybe try radical (with another brush ofcourse) and then compare. And yes I was looking before the finishing of the nails.

Thank you so much for your help Gigi you are a star!!!

Ok a little update and feel free to make fun of me now!!!!
I did 4 tips, two with the ultra sculptor and rentention, two with another brush and radical. Now I tried to not look before finishing the nail, but both of them seemed a bit yellow to me, then i butted neutral up to the smile on all 4 and still I thought oh this isn't good, why oh why.... I finished filing and no no no stil yellow.... then i started thinking all this has happend to me only at my new salon, so I took the nails outside in the daylight and no yellowing at all!!! So apart from the real yellowing with the first brush I hadn't cleaned enough, this is all down to my light in the room!!!!!!! I have a daylight manicure lamp, but apparantly the light in the room is so yellow they look yellow.
How embarrased am I right now, but please feel free to have a laugh all of you, and Gigi I cannot belive how much I have bothered you, when you had it all figured out for me the first time!!! You are a sweetheart xx

All's well that ends well and it hasn't cost you a new brush!! Now look after that' big girls brush' ; it will become your best friend and ally in your salon. :hug:

Latest posts

Back