Blonde and red highlights turning pink - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzyJesi

Reaction score
I did a full highlight on a woman the other day who had more hair than anyone should have, ever. She requested blonde highlights with red highlights in between. She had mentioned that "the last person didn't know what they were doing because the blonde ended up pink".

I rinsed every foil separately and explained that because the blonde ends were porous, (her hair was to the bottom of her shoulder blades) that they were a little pink to begin with, but that should wash out in the next day or so.

She called today and said that "there is no blonde left, it's all pink and red". How on earth do I fix this? It sounds to me that she isn't using a color-extending shampoo and conditioner so the red is coming out and the blonde is grabbing it. I have no idea how to fix it. :/ Thoughts??

Just bumping up...I have to call her back tomorrow with a solution...I could really use some advice :/

From what I'm reading, both highlights started to bleed even when washing separately at sink. It's possible the red clung to the hair which happens often. Thus the bleeding and would continue at home when wash.

Do you only specialize in foils? I work a lot with balayage. Personally I'd separate these brighter pieces she wants highlighted and concentrate on fixing those. You can either foil again or hand paint. I don't know her base or where she's coming from, but I wouldn't use over volume 20 and bleach. You could also bleach bath or soap cap these highlights she wants bright. Not the red.

Did you tone? After you fix highlights, I'd do a clear toner or glaze x

With clients who have a lot of hair, you have to really roll up your sleeves at sink and make sure the hair is properly washed. Color clings to layers and layers of hair.

Latest posts

Back