Clean your make-up brushes??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I work for bobbi brown so naturally I do like their products but otherwise most Professional make up stores sell them. I use one I get from a place that deep cleans, reduces build up and is anti bacterial.

I use the Make-up Forever brush cleanser to spot clean my brushes and then always use baby shampoo to thoroughly cleanse them. I don't spend £ on hyped up products that do just the same as a £1.50 bottle of baby shampoo. Never had a problem and all my brushes have remained in great condition.

Ohhh i never thought of baby shampoo as cheap to :) At the moment i use my foaming face wash to clean them then place a towel on the radiator and place them on top, i do this about one a week as my skin would suffer if i didnt :biggrin: xxx

Sorry Coco, I don't understand your reply?
The extentionist, can you share the names of such brands please? Always interested in other peoples recommendations x

What I mean is that I completely agree that time is everything on a photoshoot and you obviously don't have the time to shampoo your brushes after each model so spot cleaning is definitely the way to go there and then when you've packed up and gone home, that's when I'd shampoo and leave to dry overnight.

Well I work for bobbi brown so naturally I do like their products but otherwise most Professional make up stores sell them. I use one I get from a place that deep cleans, reduces build up and is anti bacterial.

May I ask for the brand? because I'm interested too.

Ohhh i never thought of baby shampoo as cheap to :) At the moment i use my foaming face wash to clean them then place a towel on the radiator and place them on top, i do this about one a week as my skin would suffer if i didnt :biggrin: xxx
I would suggest that you don't put them on the radiator! The heat can ruin / the brushes.

I would suggest that you don't put them on the radiator! The heat can ruin / the brushes.

Ah thanks for the tip :) x x

I rub mine in body shop soap by rubbing the brushes on them. Works a treat!

I spot clean with with MAC and a baby wipe, then deep clean weekly by soaking in eye make up remover first then tea tree face wash then anti bacterial brush cleaner, takes a good few hours but my brushes are pristine and never get any cross infection!! Maybe I'm just a bit OCD but I do have 3/4 of each brush!!

I spot clean with with MAC and a baby wipe, then deep clean weekly by soaking in eye make up remover first then tea tree face wash then anti bacterial brush cleaner, takes a good few hours but my brushes are pristine and never get any cross infection!! Maybe I'm just a bit OCD but I do have 3/4 of each brush!!
Being a bit OCD is preferable to your client getting an infection (or yourself with your own brushes). The dirt and bacteria those things accumulate is amazingly gross.

I never use baby shampoo as this makes the brushes too soft which is not what you want if the brush is for example a stippling brush which needs to be a little bit stiff or the brush needs to keep its shape eg an eye liner brush.

I use simple 50:50 oilive oil and fairy liquid mixture, run the brush in the oil then the detergent and repeat till clean, all the dirt comes out, and I mean ALL the dirt, even after you think your brush is clean, more dirt will come out.

Then put a brush cover over the hairs to keep the shape of the tip and hang your brushes upside down so that any water in the brush runs outwards towards the tip rather then back in to the base of the brush which will soften the glue and loosen the bristles eventually ruining your brush.

You don't need to use antibacterial soap you can wipe over with alcohol if you want, but just make sure that your brushes are completely dry and you can use specific brush cleaners but its all a bit of a con in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back