Discount salon removal - what's your view?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki_P

Reaction score
During my training with ITEC, OPI and NSI, the trainers all explained the acrylic nails applied by cheap discount salons in the same way. They all stated that the glue used is not the correct type, and in some cases can be carpet glue.

I have been advised that if a client came into my salon with acrylics from a discount salon and asked for them to be removed, it would be best if I was to refuse them and tell them to go back to the same bar to have them removed so as not to risk damaging the nails myself.

What is your standpoint on this? Would you remove acrylic nails from anywhere else? Do the discount salons actually use stock which is that bad for people's nails?

Your advice is much appreciated.

[ethnic references substituted]

Last edited by a moderator:
I refuse to remove them simply because they're a nightmare and I don't have the time for them...

I avoid removals on the majority of nails anyway and suggest infills so this is what I advise when clients come from NSS ..

I'm the same, I always advise that they go back where they had them done for removal because from experience they've always been a nightmare to get off! God only knows what they use :-/

I refuse them as well.

I never send a client away, and I would definitely never send one back to an NSS where their removal technique will damage the nails further and likely leave the client in pain!

In fact I have 2 new clients booked in for Monday evening. Spent a long time chatting on the phone with them and they were so relieved and grateful that I was prepared to see them and help them lol I've told them I probably won't attempt removal depending on the condition of the nail (I've experienced this particular salons nails before and they don't budge!) but I will infill them, get them looking good, and they will eventually grow out.

By not turning these ladies away I'm going to hopefully gain 2 new regular, happy clients :)

Same as pure. I'd never send a client away.
Especially not back to an nss salon! They'll come back worse off! [emoji15]

It's all about educating your clients and working out what would be the best action to take for them, wether it would be removal or infills until the damage has grown out. x

I'm the same, I always advise that they go back where they had them done for removal because from experience they've always been a nightmare to get off! God only knows what they use :-/
Oh no, I wouldn't send them back there, that's the last thing I'd be wanting, they'd just cause more damage. Infilling them is the best way for me then the poor weak nail doesn't need to be exposed again.

Oh no, I wouldn't send them back there, that's the last thing I'd be wanting, they'd just cause more damage. Infilling them is the best way for me then the poor weak nail doesn't need to be exposed again.
I use gel though and whenever I've tried to infill or remove NSS nails I can tell from the smell and texture as I file that they're some kind of acrylic/gel powder or something of that sort, despite the client asking for gel when they had them done!
I've infilled them and removed them in the past and they've just always been a nightmare, it may be wrong of me to try to send them back to NSS for removal, maybe I should work out another way to offer them help but I just want to avoid removing or infilling them at all costs :confused:

I also wouldn't send them back to the NSS. I usually reduce the bulk of the acrylic and infill with my gels. It takes about 3-4 treatments before they have grown out and the last of the acrylic is removed. I have gained quite a few loyal, grateful clients like this. Granted, the initial filing is hard work. And I never feel that I can charge what I really should.

In college they taught to send them back to the previous salon. But after seeing the states of some peoples nails and having a NSS run by the people who normally work in these I was too afraid to lose the custom so chose to start correcting their work.
I explained what was wrong with these places, why my products and methods are superior and why this appointment is taking much longer than it would normally and why it's costing more than the price on my menu (time spent correcting).
Thinking and cost was explained at time of booking and during appointment again.
Aftercare was given with strict instructions that anyone not looking after their nails will not have appointments in the future. (Extreme cases where people are stupid and pick enhancements all the God damn time grr)

People will either be educated or they will choose to remain ignorant when enlightened or choose to believe we are money grabbing by charging what we deserve and go back to NSS to save a few quid. Let them go if they are the latter but always try and save someone from the NSS clutches they may just not understand our world xx

The problem occurs when clients book for new set and don't tell you they have some indestructible cement on their nails and you waste valuable time doing this and potentially annoy your next client by running late.

Do what you feel is right. At the end of the day it is your salon and you make the rules!
Remember to start out how you Ment to emd

Latest posts

Back