Root help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjp-183

Reaction score
I’m an old school hairdresser trained in the days before toners. I have done a root colour with Koleston 10/16 which has left a slight yellow glow. I was going to use 12/89 or 12/81 with 2% peroxide to level it out. Then pull it through for the last few minutes. Would anyone be able to advise me. If it has to be bleach so be it, though her hair on the ends is very porous.

I’m an old school hairdresser trained in the days before toners. I have done a root colour with Koleston 10/16 which has left a slight yellow glow. I was going to use 12/89 or 12/81 with 2% peroxide to level it out. Then pull it through for the last few minutes. Would anyone be able to advise me. If it has to be bleach so be it, though her hair on the ends is very porous.
Hiya,

You don't want to tone with a 12 series; they're highlift products with a high alkaline content that will increase porosity.

They also don't deposit tone until after they've lifted so wouldn't be that helpful.

If you're happy with the lift then you just need to tone.

Opposite of gold is violet. Which in Wella can be intense .

What about 9/01 colour touch?
Or if you need a smoky finish 9/16?
If quite gold then 10/6 but that can be too flat.

Colour touch is a combination of dyes which add direct dye quickly and some oxidation dyes so you.get longevity.

If you're unsure put it on wet hair as it dilutes the effect so takes longer to develop.

Don't panic about the colour of the product on the hair; look at the effect ; then leave another minute as some of the effect gets rinsed off.

The hair will be shiny and feel really nice.

Ps- if using any sort of permanent colour first, rinse wash and condition before applying a tiner.
This resets the pH so the toner only has 1 job - adding tone, rather than also pH adjusting.

have fun and enjoy.

Latest posts

Back