E File help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayy417

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I would love some of your experience when it comes to e-files. I have been doing nails for 9 years now, and always hand filed/prep. However, I have just moved to a new salon and the other two nail techs use e-files, so the expectation is that I will also (from the clients due to how quick nails can be done with them). My issue is, I am absolutely petrified of using them. All my training have said not to use them - tbh, it was seen as a bad thing to use and I have seen enough clients with absolutely ruined nails due to e file over use, which isn't helping my phobia over them. I know it is much kinder to my wrists and I will be able to do cleaner prep (probably) as well as increase times. So, has anyone else here had some kinda irrational fear of using them and have since got over it and is now using them on clients? I am booked in a e-file course for one day (1-2-1) with a certain brand who sells e files to see if this will help me.

Hi, I too was trained during the time efiles were the most hideous thing to use on clients. Even now whenever I see anyone use a sanding band on a natural nail absolutely cringe. I cannot see how it is vaguely acceptable or non damaging. That said, the use of efiles for debulking and final finishing of acrylic and gel seems much better with the introduction of specific bits for certain jobs, and I do love my cuticle bit for prepping my own nails.

I'm sure your course will help, especially if it's from a reputable efile supplier, ultimately you don't have to use it for the situations that do not make you feel comfortable.

Hi, I too was trained during the time efiles were the most hideous thing to use on clients. Even now whenever I see anyone use a sanding band on a natural nail absolutely cringe. I cannot see how it is vaguely acceptable or non damaging. That said, the use of efiles for debulking and final finishing of acrylic and gel seems much better with the introduction of specific bits for certain jobs, and I do love my cuticle bit for prepping my own nails.

I'm sure your course will help, especially if it's from a reputable efile supplier, ultimately you don't have to use it for the situations that do not make you feel comfortable.
Thank you so much Trinity for your response, that does help. I agree with what you’ve said about the final finish, I guess it’s just the thought of anywhere near a natural nail but I’ll tread carefully and see how I get on. Thanks again

Thank you so much Trinity for your response, that does help. I agree with what you’ve said about the final finish, I guess it’s just the thought of anywhere near a natural nail but I’ll tread carefully and see how I get on. Thanks again
Let me know how it goes a d if you've changed your view after the training 😁

I too feared and despised efilles until recently. Then I trapped a nerve in my neck and had all sorts of terrible shooting pains from my neck to my finger tips and I realised that hand filing may well have been the culprit. It certainly didn’t help me recover,

Then my lamp broke and by happy coincidence there was a fabulous sale just when I needed one. The e files were on offer too and I reasoned that I should invest whilst I had the chance. Mine came with a little set of heads, including ones that are only for skin and natural nails and ones that are only to be used on product. My efile also has fully customisable speed settings from 0 -30,000RPM.

Once I’d completed my training I realised that my clients and I had nothing to fear. I absolutely love my efile now! Although I must admit I don’t file all the gel off - I use it in place of manual filing and I still soak off. It saves me time and effort as well as improving the finish on my clients who only have a manicure for a special occasion. My exile has also worked wonders on my elderly clients with neglected toenails.

So training shoukd alay your fears hugely. Also I recommend the YouTube shorts by Young Nails as a pre course introduction

I’ve since visited the salons that keep me in business by overfilling my “future clients” nails, to understand what they are doing wrong. It’s laziness. Or poor training. I’ve never seen these “bad” salons change their heads nor their speed settings. They just happily file away over product, natural nail and skin with the same head and speed.

I’ve practised a lot on my own nails (and then left them for a month so I can easily spot a thinning horseshoe around the base of the nail) and I’ve not had more than the occasional bump or flat spot on a single nail. It’s easy to lose concentration though - especially when chatting to a client you know well. So I’m not taking any chances and still soak off a well filed, very thin gel coat - nails are not my best treatment and I don’t do much nail work. But if you have even a handful of manicures a week I’d definitely say go for it. My nervous clients have all agreed that I’m much more careful than anyone else they’ve visited and I’m no longer dreading manicures. I’m starting to enjoy them.

Last edited:
If you're not totally comfortable with e-files (love how it was pc'd from 'drill'), please don't feel pressured to conform to workmates. With considerable practice you'll be more confident.

You have a clientele that appreciates your work so far, so why fix what isn't broken?

If timing is an issue you may want to try medium weight gels like CD Plexigel. Easy and fast to apply and rebalance.

Latest posts

Back