Fast track hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate9284d

Reaction score
Hi does anyone know where i could do a fast track hairdressing course in west midlands thanks

Don't do it, there's no way to be good at what you do on a fast track, myself I don't think 2 years is enough, but hey ho, I don't make the rules xoxo

Really? See i only want the fast track to get into it right away and then learn more as i go along i have emailed one they said 28 weeks at £2245 thanks for your rply x

Full time us experience in a salon is your best bet

Just cause its quick means nothing!! You don't know a thing! You need experience, time, and lots and lots of practise!! X

If its to get into it volunteer for a day or 2 at a local salon. I don't want to sound horrible, but I would never let some1 who did a fast track course near my hair, not would I employ them.
The likes of me who did my training in a college and have gone mobile to get experience have a hard enough time as it is as salons don't want a college educated without experience, and I don't mean the 2 weeks they send you on.

Your insurance may be higher because of this also.

Your best way to "get into it" is go to a salon or ask a mobile hairdresser if you can shadow them.

There is a lot of chemistry involved, of which I think we spent almost 28 weeks on alone, so how you can do level 1 theory and level 2 in 28 weeks is beyond me, and fitting in the practical aspect, doing each treatment at least 3 times before you are deemed "qualified" at it. Then there is breaking it up, cutting isn't one part, there are many many units in that one category, perming, styling, colouring, understanding how to treat every head individually and overcoming problems that alter the way you do things like a double crown etc...

It's way too much to fit into a fast trach 28 Weeker, possibly a refresher course for already trained, but it's a lot to fit into 2 years, and you still have to come here to ask advice.

Volunteer, save your money invade its not for you, you may get an apprentiahip (only real way to get into a salon) so you get paid as educated all in 1, and most importantly there is less chance of f***ing up someone's hair xoxo

Hi i also would not advise it you will be 2grand down and still clueless, sorry to sound so harsh but keep your money and get yourself into a large salon that does training themselves, you will get all the experience you need and also a job at the end which is most important.. yes you might start off making coffee but you will have eyes and ears on everything you hear and see..

I started off as a sat girl went to training on wed nights they took me on full time and each stylist and there own assistant, so we learned loads by constantly shadowing our stylists..

Good luck with whatever you decide

Hi i also would not advise it you will be 2grand down and still clueless, sorry to sound so harsh but keep your money and get yourself into a large salon that does training themselves, you will get all the experience you need and also a job at the end which is most important.. yes you might start off making coffee but you will have eyes and ears on everything you hear and see..

I started off as a sat girl went to training on wed nights they took me on full time and each stylist and there own assistant, so we learned loads by constantly shadowing our stylists..

Good luck with whatever you decide

My school with experience turned into a sat job, and then into training for a year, then I went to college, but had a huge head start in my training and gained invaluable client relation skills xoxo

Hi Kate

If you are serious about becoming a Hairdresser, I would try and get a job/placement in a salon and attend college 1/2 days a week alongside this, you will learn so much more this way rather than doing a fast track course. Cuts and colour application can be taught relatively easily, (I taught my sister how do to a basic layered cut so she could do mine lol) but it's understanding the theory behind everything that dictates whether you are a bog standard hairdresser, or a fabulous, knowledgeable and dedicated hairdresser. It takes time, experience in a busy salon, patience and sheer determination to get to the point where you are knocking out 'good' cuts and colours!

I sacrificed my social life for 3 years whilst I was training, I lived and breathed hairdressing and after work I would study my colour charts and practice different foiling techniques/hair up's/cuts etc on my block head. Hairdressing isn't a job, it's a lifestyle lol the first thing I notice on someone is their hair, and how i could make it better - I don't buy cosmopolitan or OK magazine, I buy hairdressers journal. My spare time is usually spent trying new colour combinations or techniques on models, attending courses or doing promotional events to build my business. It's a long hard road, but in my opinion one of the best jobs in the world.

Good luck with whatever you choose :hug:

My school with experience turned into a sat job, and then into training for a year, then I went to college, but had a huge head start in my training and gained invaluable client relation skills xoxo

god when i think back, we got paid £45 and worked every hour god sent, loved my training so much fun,

god when i think back, we got paid £45 and worked every hour god sent, loved my training so much fun,

Wow £45? I got £30, even while doing 5 days at school, and salon saturday, and 4-7/8 Thursday ad Friday but wouldn't change any of it. May have been poor, but well worth it, I gained such valuable experience. Even down to how to answer and speak on the phone professionally. Think most 14 year olds would answer with "yeah" or "what" now. Xoxo

Wow £45? I got £30, even while doing 5 days at school, and salon saturday, and 4-7/8 Thursday ad Friday but wouldn't change any of it. May have been poor, but well worth it, I gained such valuable experience. Even down to how to answer and speak on the phone professionally. Think most 14 year olds would answer with "yeah" or "what" now. Xoxo

you must be older than me :lick:, i thought 45 was bad for a 50hr week..
you pick so much up, how to interact with diff kinds of people for a 15yr that can be a scary process meeting clients from a different world from you

i didnt even know you could do a course within 28 weeks nuts in my opinion

you must be older than me :lick:, i thought 45 was bad for a 50hr week..
you pick so much up, how to interact with diff kinds of people for a 15yr that can be a scary process meeting clients from a different world from you

i didnt even know you could do a course within 28 weeks nuts in my opinion

I'm 22 so if I am older shouldn't be far off ur age.

£30 was the minimum weekly pay allowed. It's more now, and over 18 I think it's minimum wage now, or maybe over 21 xoxo

£30 was the minimum weekly pay allowed. It's more now, and over 18 I think it's minimum wage now, or maybe over 21 xoxo

I'm 27 and got paid £40 per week from the age of 16, and I got £10 a day when I was a saturday girl lol it went up to £50 once I had been there a year, then upto £60 after 18 months, then I was taken on full time on a 33% commission once I was qualified. It is a slow progression isn't it, but worth it in the end xx

Oh dear I feel so old. I got about five pounds a week, did three year apprenticeship and two years as an improver. And have continued to learn for the past thirty odd years. :o . I have to agree though fast track is not the way to go. In all the salons I have worked in ( and that has been a few) we would never have taken on somebody who had done it this way. They tend to be far to slow and just not enough experience on the floor.

Check out your local FE college as it's probably cheaper.

I did a fast track adult course at my local college. One year City & Guilds Diploma, one day a week. Awarded distinctions for all my assessments and went mobile afterwards. I have no experience working in a Salon but I'm not really interested in that area as I wanted to be mobile anyway.

I needed the course for a formal qualification (and insurance) but realistically, they can only teach the basic stuff in that timescale.

I have always been very self motivated and so read loads of text books throughout the course, practised on head blocks, my friends and friends of friends etc. and took additional short courses afterwards.

It really depends on your motivation. Starting at aged 40 plus, working as an apprentice in a Salon wasn't the right path for me, but I agree that it is a brilliant route for many others.:)

i did a fast track :o done my level 2 in just under a year, but i put in some serious hours in a local hairdressers during this not just the 1 day a week required, and went with a mobile girl also. i think if you have a good grasp of chemistry and biology then it can kind of be done... i had some major background knowledge of physiology, biology and chemistry because of my prev degree and job, and as i said i put in mega hours to do so.
however, iv also worked my ass off since finishing, doing more courses, shadowing and now mobile.
just thought id throw that spanner in the works :o

that back fired im 27..

Lol seems I really was unlucky on the payments. 😭 but fair do's I wouldn't change it.

Now back to the point, as previously said, i think it would be hard to get a job after doing a fast track, I'm not a salon owner yet, but by no means, and with a lovely portfolio and mobile experience would I take on a fast track student just for the reputation. One bad cut and they find out some how your a fast tracker and not just urs, but the whole salon reputation goes down the pan. Wanting to open somewhere in the next year, it would just be too much of a risk, that is unless they were willing to start as a student, obviously on a student rate of pay and re do all their education at full time work/college, and that would only be if I got the qualification to be allowed to teach would I begin to consider taking someone who had done a fast track.

Sorry to sound really horrible, but it's business and salon owners want to make sure nothing could affect the reputation, even if it is an accident, or truth spread by gossip. Xoxo

Just playing Devil's Advocate here...

Why do all stylists who are qualified via the "hard way" insist that their way is the only way of doing it (work for crap wages for 3-5 years chained to a sink), yet rush out to pay £600 for a 2 day course with a colour company to learn new techniques?

You can either learn a lot in 2 days or you can't.

Which is it?

:?:

Latest posts

Back