Fast track hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just playing Devil's Advocate here...

Why do all stylists who are qualified via the "hard way" insist that their way is the only way of doing it (work for crap wages for 3-5 years chained to a sink), yet rush out to pay £600 for a 2 day course with a colour company to learn new techniques?

You can either learn a lot in 2 days or you can't.

Which is it?

:?:

I trained solely in a salon no college, it took just under 2yrs from going full time, started at 16 was qualified before 18, with the Rainbow Room,
I think doing this (any1 correct me if im wrong) you learn a hell of alot more by being on the floor everyday, watching and listening and questioning all about what your stylist/s are doing. i questioned everything,

maybe chained to a sink for a while but doing treatments,toners aswell so all good. you also learn how to act around clients which can be very scary at 16, esp when the clientele are very wealthy they expect you to be professional from the word go.
everyone has there own opinions but i would rather this than sitting in a college,its more hands on, so if we go on advance courses you all ready know the theory behind it all and its just inspiration, learning never ends

I trained solely in a salon no college, it took just under 2yrs from going full time, started at 16 was qualified before 18, with the Rainbow Room,
I think doing this (any1 correct me if im wrong) you learn a hell of alot more by being on the floor everyday, watching and listening and questioning all about what your stylist/s are doing. i questioned everything,

maybe chained to a sink for a while but doing treatments,toners aswell so all good. you also learn how to act around clients which can be very scary at 16, esp when the clientele are very wealthy they expect you to be professional from the word go.
everyone has there own opinions but i would rather this than sitting in a college,its more hands on, so if we go on advance courses you all ready know the theory behind it all and its just inspiration, learning never ends

I agree but left my salon for personal reasons, so went into full time college.

The short courses on colour etc... Are to learn more, we already have the knowledge behind it, but want to understand the new range released, new techniques etc...

Xoxo

i think maybe it would depend 1.on what you considered to be fast track and 2. how the fast track course was run.

i can totally appreciate that salon experience is the way forward, but i know when i studied it was continual written and practical assessments, on everything from shampooing to cutting etc, and if we werent up to scratch we kept going til we got it right consistently, and we couldnt move to the next module until then, so what would be fast track for some could still end up a 2 year course for others. Also, we ran as a salon aswell, so by the end of it we were working at proper salon speed and quality etc. this was aswell as our salon placement at weekends.

I would hate to think that i would have to re-train all my qualifications and start as a student in a salon, because im not, and my qualifications which i passed with distinction are habia cerified like everyone elses and i have continued to study and learn since. i can understand what is being said though, just a shame the industry is still so set in its ways :)

I did my NVQ Level 2 at college in 2010/2011 but managed to get a voluntary placement in a salon for that year. I was the only one to get a placement and learnt far more at the salon than I did at college and sometimes, I ended up teaching the others! Btw, I was a mature student (49!)

I think these college courses "lure" you in to thinking that you can be a qualified hairdresser in a year. From my experience, despite having had the salon placement, when I "graduated" in June 2011, I felt very inadequate and could not see myself practicing as a hairdresser.

However, I have tried to further my knowledge by using this fantastic forum, reading and trawling the internet and have ended up working part-time as a mobile hairdresser (family and friends and doing some voluntary work at a local hospice) BUT, I am probably the only one on my course actually doing any regular hairdressing!

Learning to be a hairdresser is not easy! It takes years! It is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life!!!

Hope that helps! Sorry to rant! :hug:

I agree but left my salon for personal reasons, so went into full time college.

The short courses on colour etc... Are to learn more, we already have the knowledge behind it, but want to understand the new range released, new techniques etc...

Xoxo

Sorry Tomme, I should have pointed out that the question was rhetorical. ;)

I agree that hands on experience cannot be matched BUT there are circumstances that make the sole college qualifications a useful option (when I say college quals I don't necessarily mean fast track). I decided to make a big career change from being an Event Rider and Riding Instructor to wanting to get into hairdressing. But no matter how much I volunteered to help out in salon's (even just making tea and sweeping up) no one wanted to know as they already had school leavers doing this. At the age of 24 I was considered past it to learn a new skill (I was actually told that by two salon owners.)
I did manage to get myself onto a college course studying NVQ 2 3 days per week, the college also ran a working salon (which I agree was slower than a retail salon but gave students an idea of how things run). I qualified in just over a year with distinction which didn't quite prepare me for the demands of working in the industry. However I did have the basic knowledge to go and expand upon.
I have since worked very hard putting myself on every course relevant to the brands I use and additional general cutting, colouring and hair extension courses to expand my knowledge. I choose not to work in a salon due to my lifestyle but have helped out on temporary basis' at a salon and been able to hold my own.
I'm not saying a short course is a good option but it does very much depend on people's circumstances and their determination to learn their trade. In an ideal world everyone would train on the job an learn their trade on the floor but some excellent hairdressers have been produced through the sole college route and should not be poo poo'd.
So to Kate I would say it depends on your circumstances, if you have the chance to get into a salon then opt for that route first but if not research college courses very carefully and ask for recommendations.

It all comes down to the individual.

I'm on a fast track course, 9 months, but as a mature student (30) it was the only viable option. we do 3 days full time education and it operates as a salon the other 3 days, I do 2 even tho I have to drive and hour and half there and back. the rest I spend on myhairdressers on a blockhead, youtube etc and volunteer for anything I can. most of the younger ones do the bare minimum and I doubt will even carry on into hairdressing, this is despite one of them having a mum who is a stylist! I cannot fathom the mentality. I'm desperate to do well in my new career and the amount the course is costing + a year of not working only drives me even more.

Once I have my Loreal colour training next week I'll be trying to get a placement in a real salon as I feel this will be the only way to accelerate my learning. there is always arguements for both and I think luckily for me here in the Middle East where you dont even need to be qualified there isnt thr same snobbery about college courses.

For me its all about the student and their way of learning, their desire for the trade and passion. If they want it badly enough they'll get there regardless of how.

I am thinking about doing a fast track NVQ 2 in barbering through Saks. Only lasts 10 weeks and is 9-5 every day.

Do you think it will be a struggle to find a barbers willing to take you on after this or is it possible to have the opportunity to prove yourself in a trade test? I am too old to consider going through the 2-3 year apprenticeship route so this looks like the best option to me even though it is quite expensive. Don't want to pay that money and put all that work in only to not find work, that would be a pain

Latest posts

Back