Have I done anything wrong? Please give me some advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amanda mao

Reaction score
I’m running a startup that helps brands and artists get offline exposure in places like hair salons and cafés. For example, salons can get sample hair accessories from us without needing to hold any inventory. If their customers purchase through our platform, we can track the sale and pay them a good commission. I've received great feedback from hairdressers who have tried my platform so far.

Two months ago, I launched a small email campaign targeting venue owners, and I was thrilled when a lady running workspaces for hairstylists responded immediately. This was especially exciting as it happened the same week I started working on my startup full-time, after leaving the tech industry.

After an online meeting with her and her assistant, I visited one of her salons. The assistant was super friendly and gave me a tour of their spaces. Since we were also planning to hang artwork, she mentioned that they often host events where the art might need to be temporarily removed. She also pointed out the salon’s humidity and warm temperature as factors to consider. I appreciated her honesty and went back with a carefully thought-out plan. Instead of fine art, I suggested displaying fashion posters, and I also proposed helping them launch their own branded products for higher margins—since the salon owner wanted her members to promote products, I thought this idea was a good fit.

I spent a lot of time doing market research and selecting a range of products for them to review. However, after sending these suggestions, I never heard back. Despite following up with five emails, I received no response.

Having worked in the tech industry, I wonder if I made any major mistakes along the way. I’m sharing my experience here in hopes of getting feedback. If I did something wrong, I want to learn from it and avoid repeating the same mistakes. The only thing that stands out is that I mentioned the humidity and warmth in the salon—something the assistant brought up first—which I thought was important to address for the sake of the artists I work with.

Any advice or honest feedback is welcome! Thank you, and have a great weekend!

Latest posts

Back