How long does it take you to do a full set?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlaH21

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my time keeping for nails is getting me down (nail extensions), for french whites it takes me 1hr 45mins, and for colour/glitter/design nails takes me 2hrs...
I just don't seem to be getting any quicker, any tips from any1 to speed myself up more, i talk for england and i no i need to shut my mouth alittle. :), but like speed up on nail prep and then filing. x

My timings are the same as yours and iv just accepted that thats how long it takes me to get them perfect and id rather that than do them in an hour and it show in my work.hth xxx

Sent from my X10i

Im exactly the same i dont use tips i sculpt my nails prefer the look it gives so i know this takes a little longer to do and at the end of the day rome wasnt built in a day and im such a perfectionist my clients dnt mind the just sit bck and relax lol xx

I have just passed my Nvq level 2. They say that a salon acceptable time is 2 hrs for a full set and 2 hours for a infill/rebalance. So your timing are fine, so don't worry.
It takes me 1hr45. I'm like you like them to be perfect.

Ok so you told us how long for Pink and white and for glitter. What is your time for say White tip with clear over lay? That is where you see faster work. Its a no brainer really. What you are doing with the pink and white and glitter is adding time on, that is fine! 1:45 is great for a great set of P&W! and glitter can take longer. Don't beat yourself up!

1h15 to 1h30 for me, depending on the client. Your time is good I wouldnt worry:biggrin:

1hr 30 max, including sizing, fitting & blending tips. In a popular salon with clients booked back-to-back. We don't rush, and they love the personal service.

Just over an hr & half I sculpt I find it takes me longer to use tips x

Ok..well i have been "doing" nails since 2004 so keep that in mind before reading on....and i am CND tarined so i don't cut any corners(i cant afford to cut corners because my Rebalances are booked out for 1 hour max so my full sets have to be perfect)...

Full set french 1 hour
Full set one colour/glitter 1 hour

French Rebalance 1 hour
One colour Rebalance 1 hour

I used to take 2 hours for a full set regardless of weather it was french or not when i just started out and was mobile.

Then i went to work in a really busy salon ans was booked back to back all day-5 days a week and within a couple of weeks my time had gone right down.

Learning to keep moving your brush and file whilst talking is a skill in itself .

If you are working in a environment where you are booked back to back solid day after day it is something that will come naturally.

Clients also like to see the time and care taken too so remember that also.

i am so busy where i am now and have reduced my days down to spend tme with my baby that i have to clock watch because i have 7 years worth of clients and new clients on top of that,that i have to fit in.

time is money...but no client likes a slap-dash quickie service.i am happy with my hour slots

Although this will not be my help to you I'm afraid this post has been a massive re assurance to me! It takes
me around an hour and a half to two hours for a full set but my clients compare it to a local Chinese bar that butcher nails and always makes me feel self conscious :-( I always try to explain that the way I do things is best for the natural nail etc but sometimes they just don't see the difference and want the quick fix nails!! X

Although this will not be my help to you I'm afraid this post has been a massive re assurance to me! It takes
me around an hour and a half to two hours for a full set but my clients compare it to a local Chinese bar that butcher nails and always makes me feel self conscious :-( I always try to explain that the way I do things is best for the natural nail etc but sometimes they just don't see the difference and want the quick fix nails!! X

Hun..Firstly edit the "chinese" to NSS before you get jumped on by some geeks for being raciest....lol....any excuse for an argument on here some days.

Secondly your times are spot on.

I would keep doing what you are doing...if like me you dont use a drill/electric file than your unique selling point is THAT.

May take more time filing and buffing by hand but in my opinion...and i have FOUR nss on my high street next door to my nail "room" and having seen the damage with my own eyes....it may take a little longer but the results are mush nicer and the damage to the nail bed less likely.

NSS stands for non-standard salon :D I think the comment about anything for an argument was a little harsh ( although it no sounds like I am starting one lmao i swear I am not ) People take offence to any term being used aside from NSS because ithas nothing to do with nationality or race - a tech who cuts corners, doesn't follow a good hygeine practice and has more interest in cash than her clients nail health is a NSS as far as I am aware. They could be Oriental, East european, american - whatever it doesn't really matter :D

For the OP, i still take around 1 hour 30 dependant on the service I am carrying out ( plain, French, glitter, art etc ) and if it is someone who also finds the only "me" time they get to have a chat and a cuppa then it takes me longer because I am also their "friend" :D xx

Thanks for the tip :) I shall remember in the future as I didnt know whoops! Glad it is about right I keep having massive freak outs over not being good enough! Fingers crossed I will gain that over time though! X

I take anything from around 1hour 30 to 1 hour 45.

However the other day a pedicure client of mine who has enhancements at a local nss told me that she had an infill done in 15 minutes last time she was there. i was stunned to say the least. She says she also takes 15 mins for a new set of white tips and overlays. how is that even possible !!!!

Diane x

I think aside from being massively used to bozzing through your clients in a short time, a fair amount of NSS use no real prep - no sanitising hands, no cuticle work etc - then they apply tips and use clear acrylic over the top with a larger brush ( usually a 10 or 12 I bleeive ) and do the whole nail in 1 bead!!

I would love to be able to work efficiently and quick like that BUT i would rather take 1hr 30 and do a professional job with every element of prep involved than skip it :D

I know this is quite an old post but just another point on the whole NSS thing 🤓 I’m a nail tech, but I live near a salon that is run by Vietnamese techs. I wanted to go undercover and sample the other techs in my area just to see what the going rates were, what the service was like etc. to see where I’d be sitting in the pack. The Vietnamese nail bar was very basic looking - no glamorous decor - but they were meticulously clean and followed standards. The extensions and nail design I got were excellent. It was a super fast service, mainly because they spoke no English, so the clients weren’t slowing them down 😜 I used my phone translator app to chit chat and they were trained in the UK, and love doing nails.

On the flip side, I went to a very expensive place in the city centre. They also did lashes and I overheard them saying it was fine that their client hadn’t been patch tested for a lash lift 😭🤦🏼‍♀️ In terms of nails, I didn’t see anything drastically terrible, but there were little niggles that just weren’t best practice. The extensions I got were fine, not perfect, and definitely not worth the inflated price.

So to confirm - not all Asian nail techs are Chinese (and in my experience, most of them aren’t haha), not all “basic” nail salons are NSS… and equally, not all fancy/nicely decorated salons are great quality.

Latest posts

Back