L'Oreal majirel grey coverage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joz99

Reaction score
Can I please just have a little reassurance from fellow loreal users?

When I completed my training with majirel as a permanent colour I was taught that when covering over 50% grey you need to use a base shade with target colour.
I know now that it's changed and they say to use a basic shade with your target shade if it's a cool colour and use a .3 with your target if it's a warm colour so therefore...if I have a client who wants 5.3 and is over 50% grey I can just apply 5.3 by itself with 20vol...am I correct??

Thanks in advance...

I would still put a little bit of 5.0 in it, I have previously done without base and don't get 100% coverage

I would still put a little bit of 5.0 in it, I have previously done without base and don't get 100% coverage

Thanks, that's why I feel bit hesitant and it's new client and she doesn't know what colour house previous hairdresser used, before finding me she put a 5.3 box colour on roots only. Just don't want it to be too dark, doing colour consult and skin test tomorrow so can properly match up colour.

I use Schwarzkopf Igora 5.6 is Light Brown Auburn , which I believe is similar to 5.3 in majirel . 5.6 in igora doesn't cover 100% grey , so I would think you would need to put a base of 5.0 in to make sure it covers

If you think it may turn out to dark add a bit of 6.0 instead of 5.0 strand test first

Yep do it all the time covers fine! X

Just go straight in with the 5.3, your friend is correct in that the .3's are bases too.

Hi, 5.3 is fine on its own, you could add 5 ( not 5.0) it would take out a little of the warmth , but it won't make it any darker! Colour supreme are also good for coverage on grey hair 😃😃

Thank you for all replies x still feeling bit unsure with mixed response!

Hi, 5.3 is fine on its own, you could add 5 ( not 5.0) it would take out a little of the warmth , but it won't make it any darker! Colour supreme are also good for coverage on grey hair 😃😃

Would 1/4 5 and 3/4 5.3 take out much warmth do u think?

Do you want it warm or flat?
5 if flat
5.3 of warm
I don't see the point I'm mixing them really! X

5.3 is a base colour so they say no need for anything else but sometimes it can come up a little too golden I find so I would mix 1/4 of 5 with 3/4 5.3 but the .0's come out a little darker so if you are using a .0 go a shade lighter so 1/4 of 6.0 x

It wouldn't take out to much warmth! 1/4 5 and 3/4 5.3 would be fine! 😉😉

No need to add any 5, 5.3 is a base on its own and covers fine.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Do you want it warm or flat?
5 if flat
5.3 of warm
I don't see the point I'm mixing them really! X

I want it warm not flat, i wouldn't b questioning myself if I wanted a 5 as base shades are what I was taught to add to cover grey x it's new client and think it's just making me more cautious x thanks for your comment

No need to add any 5, 5.3 is a base on its own and covers fine.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Though both are bases designed to fully cover, I find that adding 5 covers even better, less translucent or glowy.
A 5.3 can look a bit orangey on white hair, I prefer a more muted gold on the root. So not to confuse terribly I would mix to have the best coverage.
Why not do a 1:1 and then add more 5.3 next time if you find it too flat?
Rather too flat than too bright I suggest!

Though both are bases designed to fully cover, I find that adding 5 covers even better, less translucent or glowy.
A 5.3 can look a bit orangey on white hair, I prefer a more muted gold on the root. So not to confuse terribly I would mix to have the best coverage.

Thankyou for your advice that makes good sense x

Wouldn't she get banding if she did this? X

Personally I don't think it would glow on 50% grey a base 5 is so dark! I think 5.3 on its own will be perfectly fine iv used it on 50% grey tons of times! That's just my opinion though x

I don't think there will be any banding as a lot of the depth fades throughout the next visit. I experienced slightly glowy roots with gold bases alone. I mean everyone has a different taste so do what floats your boat :)

Latest posts

Back