Newbie-impatient and I need your experience!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsheeyore

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm just starting out and am very impatient with myself! I want to be good at this - starting with acrylics, did a full set in my daughter this evening and had issues with overflow that I need to work on.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1395012365.174397.jpg

The hand trainer I have is not brilliant - I am unsure how to get nails to stick. The glue is too strong, blue tack too weak. It's difficult when your clients nail pings off halfway through a buff!
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1395012501.298539.jpg

I think I need a better brush and I think I need better quality files.

What do you recommend?
And how can I improve :(

Please help x

Double sided tape! That's how I finally stick my tips to my hand thingyum. It's really strong but not TOO strong.

Oh good idea thank you xx

Are you doing training?

Last edited:
Hiyas,

Maybe if your having issues go back to the people you trained with, they should be happy to help and ask questions, also hun if you fill in your profile and education etc more people will help as at the moment your not showing anything do don't look liked a qualified nail tech.

Re your hand, maybes get a good nail trainer, essential nails one is amazing and you can get the 2nd hand from ebay/gumtree etc or new from their website. Best model you will ever have.

Re products all are different, which one are you using now?

Agree with Maz, give your training company a call to see if they can iron out any issues with you.

Also agree on the Nail Trainer, the one which has a clamp which screws to the desk, perfect for practice and is jointed so it moves just like a real hand and the nail beds cannot pop out, think they are very reasonable second hand and worth every penny. They don't mind how long they sit there, don't require cups of tea and don't want a discount once you've qualified - perfect lol!

Good morning girls, can I ask a couple of questions please and hope you can help, Iv been buying my gelish kit week by week and have started to do it from home, I'm booked to go on a gelish course next month but I was just wondering : when you remove the nail varnish after soaking in foils for 10 mins what do you use? As I've got this stainless steel cuticle pusher (like a curved. Bit at one end). And I use that, it gets the gel off no probs but I feel like it's taking the top layer of the nail bed off? Is this correct please? Or is the instrument to harsh. Second question, pls can you tell me the best way to create a perfect edge when doing a French manicure? Iv just done one on myself using pink gel on the ends but tbh it looks unprofessional :-(. How do u achieve that immaculate line please, thank you xxxxx

Hi thanks for replies
I'm doing a course with e-learn , I'm due a hysterectomy soon and thought it was something I can practice while I'm housebound, the plan being to get up and running by autumn. Friend has offered me two days a week in her salon which is great.

The products I have got are the edge - although they sent a number 10 brush which is just ridiculous so have bought a number 6 but think need better quality again - any recommendations ?

Xx

Should say am halfway through my course - just started the module for acrylic application

And my hand is a clamp on one but not as good as the essentials one - have seen those so will look out for a second hand one x

Hi welsheeyore and sorry for butting in on your thread, I, very new on here and I had no idea how or where to relate a new topic, but I have found that out now so sorry for the random questions earlier, and where r u training please? Is it one from home or r u actually going to a venue? As I wish to be doing both very soon. Xxx

Should say am halfway through my course - just started the module for acrylic application

And my hand is a clamp on one but not as good as the essentials one - have seen those so will look out for a second hand one x

I just got the flexifinger. Its really good and not that dear. Check one of the threads on here about it. I think the company that sells it is eye candy training x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi timeless
I am doing a course with e learn - it cores both acrylic and gel so suited me best x

Mobile nail tech in training!
Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi timeless
I am doing a course with e learn - it cores both acrylic and gel so suited me best x

Have you checked that you can get insurance when you finish this course? Some insurers wont insure you with certain home courses

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just a bit of constructive feedback on the structure of your nails. Remember to make an apex on your nails- some of them look a little thin around where the apex should be. Also remember the white tip should never be bigger than the pink.
HTH
X

Thanks for replies :)

Yes can get insurance did check that. But very good point thank you x

As for the set I did - it was my. Daughter who wanted them long but had short nails, so am aware white is too long on the,.

Could you explain a bit more about the apex though? Really appreciate this help xx

Latest posts

Back