SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yourhairdressersw15

Reaction score
Hello all,

Me and my husband have a small hair salon in Putney and are massively struggling to find staff. Not just qualified staff, but ANY staff! We've released quite a few job posts on Indeed, reached out to colleges, etc. and no one seems to take any interest in applying for a hairdresser position in our salon. Indeed even reviewed our job description and didn't find any flaws/things that would put people off from applying. The only thing that we can think of is perhaps the salary range is not appealing enough? It's £25,000-£35,000 - it's a big range as it depends on the hairdresser's level of experience and performance. We have written in the job post that we would like someone with at least 2 years of experience, so would this salary range seem unreasonable for a qualified hairdresser with a few years of experience?

There are also benefits available such as on-site training if necessary, commission, tips and performance bonuses.

The very few people who have agreed to come in for an interview have cancelled on us literally a day before or even on the same day.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all on what could be done to rectify this? It seems like every salon apart from our own has staff, even if it's just 1 or 2 hairdressers at a time (my husband is the owner and only hairdresser in the salon). I would understand if potential candidates were put off by working along with the owner only, but people don't even have that knowledge when they come across the job post... so there must be something terribly wrong with the way it's written.

Literally any advice or insight into this is welcome, we are beyond desperate to find at least 1 hairdresser!!

Thank you :)

Just a thought, are you registered for VAT? If your turnover is less than £100k I suggest you don’t employ a hairdresser but offer a self employed position instead, it’s quite stressful employing someone and it’s a lot of extra work, you’d probably be better off financially if you offered a chair rental instead.

Talk to your accountant urgently to go through the ins and outs of VAT and discuss the pros and cons of having a self employed role on either a daily chair rental rate or a commission split.

Try the old fashioned method of advertising with a poster in the window and have a read through of threads here to prepare yourself for all the pitfalls you have to watch out for when you take on a iself employed chair position.

I used to have a very busy beauty salon with lots of staff and I’m so much happier now it’s just me! I didn’t realise how much of my profits were being nibbled away by my lovely team who were more wasteful with products and messier than me. I don’t need to pay an accountant as my books are quite straightforward and I can do them myself and I can totally please myself with the hours I work.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back