Opening a new salon the early days

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in a 'secondary parade', with very little footfall.
The way I see it, if I want any thing done, be it waxing, facial, hair...whatever, I plan it, and book in advance.
I'm NEVER going to do any of the above whilst out shopping, on a whim.
I ALWAY'S research first!
Yes, the high street has footfall...BUT, it also has every other shop doing what I'm doing....this results in a 'PRICE WAR'....
Eventually no one is making any money, the only winner's are the client's who you are all so desperate to please by offering silly deals. No profit = No business.
It's swings and roundabouts folks......no point in being a 'busy fool'. :p

great thread! loads of really good practical advise in here too! plus makes me feel better about not being that busy or running loads of offers. my other halfs sister said to me couple weeks back ' that girl linda that martha sometimes goes to, shes cheaper than you. you need to watch that.' i cant be worrying about everyone elses prices. charge what im worth.

I've found being on the internet definitely boosted my business. Now I make sure I'm on internet listings like yell.com, wahanda, scoot, therapy pages, some local business listing pages, can't remember them all. I always opt for the free listings, I get a smaller profile but it still helps. I still get absolutely dead days now and the entire summer holidays is mostly dead time for me!

Thanks again for the replies! Squidgernetball I myself use a salon just like yours, right off the beaten track and it is AMAZING! I often note the little things I like about it to add on touches to my own treatment range. You are after all only as good as your last treatment! Regards to
Foot fall, I'm in a rural village approx 20 minutes out of town. I share an entrance with the village show and this gives me good foot fall. A lot of my clients pop their head in to have a nose and I end up booking them in for a treatment. I advertise in the local newsletters for each of the surrounding villages. I've strangely had a busy week this week but next week is dead.... Hoping it'll pick up! It's so nice to hear other people's experiences and it has really soothed my anxiety[emoji255]

Go Girl Go......
I think it's all about to kick off for you.......
GOOD LUCK :D

Guys you are honestly all making me smile so much! Red star..... 100% right there's no way I'm lowering my prices to compete, if you want cheap you get a cheap service!! You know just the other day I seen a salon offering a child's haircut for £2.50!!!!! Say whaaaaaaaaat! I wouldn't risk loosing my pinkies for those wriggly buggers [emoji16] xx

We are in a barn in a village that has a butchers shop in it and absolutely nothing else. There are no main roads through the village. We are down a dirt track off a side road, 5 miles from the nearest town. Our passing footfall are the odd dog walker and horse rider. We have cows outside our window. We have clients who drive from the far side of the nearest town to come to us. There are 2 of us - me and my daughter - and we are pretty much fully booked. We're interviewing for new staff this week.

We have an a board at the top of the dirt track which attracts some attention but many local people still don't know we're there after 2 years but once they've found us they rebook. We have free parking outside our door and we offer premium products. We retail around £500 a week as we have become known as the skin place. Clients will often just pull in to pick up products.

In any business it is naive to think that if you're in a premium location you will succeed. Many many businesses have put that as a positive - we're right on the high street, load's of passing clients etc. Now, all I think is parking issues and coming out after waxing looking bright red. In all honesty, most passing clients on a high street will probably want nails or quick treatments which aren't really your money spinners - think of the competition with nail bars. You want to get them in for money earners such as premium facials, waxing etc.

Have a look at our Facebook page for an idea of our location
www.facebook.com/blissandbeautyltd

Any questions, please ask. Really happy to help.

Sorry if this has gate crashed the op's thread but hope it helps.

Vic x
Perfectly said...
All in all it depends on YOUR business aim.model and target market. One size cannot fit all.

I would add I think it really depends on treatments and locations. You do mainly high end results driven facials and almost spa treatments so people would have to come from far to receive such treatments they are unique. Beauty treatments also tend to be something you would book in advance so you would not need to have a highly visible building/ the after results may not be immediately desirable for example reddening e.t.c. In contrast treatments that have a positive after effect i.e blowdry you do the hair it should be somewhat perfect and you would like to show it off may thrive better in a high street.

Personally I don't think the location of any salon determines how busy your going to be! It's about the staff that work there! I travel about half an hour to get my eyebrows done because of the salon and the staff there if you find a good salon that staff are amazing and offer the best customer service anyone will travel to you so as long as your doing the best you can I don't think location is an issue

Latest posts

Back