Personal Message from Doug Schoon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Geek

Sweet Heart
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Dear All - we have for the past few weeks enjoyed discussions at various levels as to 'working safely' and 'why do some companies recommend this whilst others recommend that'. Because this is such an important issue, I went to someone I knew could help us and give us unbiased and universal truths (as he says).. without trying be detrimental in any way toward any brand. Thank you Doug, it is so amazing that you take the time to help us in this way!! :hug:

Hi Geeks,
Since this is such an important issue, I wanted to comment on some of the points brought up this very interesting discussion. There are things called "universal truths" about artificial nail products. These truths are based on chemistry and biology, not opinion... and they are scientific principles and are not specific to any one companies education. They are truths that all responsible companies should be teaching.

One of these truths is, "liquid monomer and UV gels should not touch the skin". Anyone who tells you anything differently is not telling you the facts and they are putting your skin's health at risk. This is based on both chemistry and biology facts.

All monomer liquids can be used safely, so I completely agree that the monomer liquid is "safe". But, that's not to say that monomer liquid is safe no matter what you do or how you use it. It is only safe if used correctly and properly. In other words, it's up to the nail professional to use these products in a safe fashion. The same is true for UV gels.

The correct and proper usage for ALL artificial nail enhancement systems including UV gels, liquid and powder and fiberglass or wrap systems is to avoid skin contact. There are no exceptions to this rule! Anyone who tells you differently is not giving you the straight story and they are ignoring or ignorant of the scientific facts.

This information is backed up by prestigious Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) expert panel. This panel of unbiased, independent scientists and medical professionals determined that artificial nail liquid monomers are "safe as used" by professional nail technicians as long as they are instructed to "avoid skin contact" and are taught about the potential risks of developing adverse skin reactions, as well as, how to avoid this potential problem.

I agree 100% with the CIR's conclusions and it is because of their recommendations that many companies are finally beginning to teach this universal truth. So, the importance of keeping liquid monomer off the skin is not just my "opinion", it is an absolute and irrefutable fact. Nor is this a "CND" only recommendation. OPI, NSI and other leading companies also teach this in their education.

If you want to learn more about these issues, I recommend reading Chapter 12, "The Healthy Salon" in my book "Nail Structure and Product Chemistry-Second Edition", Thompson/Delmar Learning. In this chapter you will learn how to work safely and avoid overexposing yourself and/or your client's skin. If you're interested in learning more of these universal truth, you will also find them in this book.

I hope this information was useful and helpful.
Thanks,

Doug Schoon
VP of Science & Technology
Creative Nail Design, Inc.

thank you mrs geek for posting this...

and thank you doug for the interesting information...

i have learnt another thing new today..

Thank you for posting this Sam, and a big thanks to you Doug!

I wholeheartedly agree that Truth and fact is where our information should be based, everyone is entitled to opinion, but recognise that it is just that
"an opinion"
and opinions sometimes must be flexible if the Facts disagree!

Wow! Words from the man himself! :)
I highly recommend the book!

Wow! Words from the man himself! :)
I highly recommend the book!

me too ruth,
geeks you must get his book, nail structure and product chemistry it is a fantastic and very informative book

I have it! Bought it 2nd hand and best investment I ever made!!

Haven't finished reading it, but loving it so far :green:

Oh how I love being in the know :)

I think I might swoon ;)

Great thread Mrs Geek.......always good to hear what Doug Schoon has to say........just a pity that we can't have a recording of Doug actually saying it......his voice...that accent mmmm mmmmm!!!

just a pity that we can't have a recording of Doug actually saying it......his voice...that accent mmmm mmmmm!!!

Why? Where's he from?

Why? Where's he from?
he's a yank Victoria - not sure if it's the accent or the pony tail:eek: ... either way, he is a most intelligent, charismatic and amazing man! :D

he's a yank Victoria - not sure if it's the accent or the pony tail:eek: ... either way, he is a most intelligent, charismatic and amazing man! :D

Not unlike another yank of your close aquaintance!!!....minus the ponytail though lol!!

HA HA HA HA

A 'YANK' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Geez, you brits are a funny lot.

We Canadians and Americans are busy drooling over the likes of Sean Connery for his accent :lol: :lol: :lol:

(I'm actually both, born in Florida USA, my mom is Canadian and my father is from New York)

too funny:wink2:

LOL- very funny to hear us YANKEES have ACCENTS ;)

You girls are cracking me up- Samantha be sure to tell Doug that he has HUNK status over there ;)

Hey girls- over here- I SHOOK HIS HAND- wanna touch it? $10? LOL.

I also got to listen to him talk about this very type of thing for 3 days straight- amazing stuff.

You know, now that I think about it, I should have had him autograph my copy of Nail Structure and Product Chemistry-

Oh well, next time... :)

Hey girls- over here- I SHOOK HIS HAND- wanna touch it? $10? LOL.

You know, now that I think about it, I should have had him autograph my copy of Nail Structure and Product Chemistry-

I have a personalised autographed copy of the 2nd Edition. Wanna see a photo? $10? :lol: :lol: oh and I shook his hand too.

:hug: (ps:did warn you guys I have a wraped sense of humour)

I have a personalised autographed copy of the 2nd Edition. Wanna see a photo? $10? :lol: :lol: oh and I shook his hand too.

:hug: (ps:did warn you guys I have a wraped sense of humour)

*laughing like a dirty old man* Maybe we should go into business ;)

Hello,

Products should not touch the skin, even gel.

But how do you extend bitten nails? I was taught to put gel on the skin in order to build a small free edge before sculpting. How to avoid this?

Thanks in advance,

ooh frank- I would tip it or just make a form work somehow, depends on the biter ;) When you pre-blend a tip, it tends to work better. HTH! ;)

Thank you for posting this Sam, and a big thanks to you Doug!

I wholeheartedly agree that Truth and fact is where our information should be based, everyone is entitled to opinion, but recognise that it is just that
"an opinion"
and opinions sometimes must be flexible if the Facts disagree!

Can I make this a part of my "Rules for LIFE?" How much more sense can this make? ;)

Very informative and straight from the horses mouth !

I choose fact over fiction,every day of the week ! xx

Great thread and really good of Doug to take the time to put it together for us.Thanks Mrs Geek!!

Latest posts

Back