Refresher course/updating skills?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairdaze

Reaction score
Hello to all you lovely ladies and gents.

After over six months of indecision, I think I may finally be at the point where I'm ready to take the plunge back into the world of hairdressing. Now I know the best way for me to rebuild my confidence and skills would be back in the salon environment but I really don't want to work for anyone again. I want to be my own boss, maybe mobile with a view of opening my own salon in the not so distant future. I'd like to go on a couple of courses to refresh my colour knowledge and theory as well as update my application skills. I used to be quite good at colour (or so I thought!) so im hoping it wont be to difficult. I'd like to attend a course with the product brand I intend to use. I used to use wella but believe this is not most cost effective, plus I was never overly keen on the reds. I would like to jump on the TIGI bandwagon but know that's not possible while I'm mobile. So my questions are: do any of you lovely geeks know of any decent refresher courses, preferably in the greater Manchester area and other than Wella what would you recommend for colour brand which would be cost effective whilst delivering great colour results?

sorry lovie i can't offer much advice ( i use Wella) but from what i gather from reading some threads on here i think your best bet would be to contact a few colour houses and see what they can offer in the way of a refresher course. Tigi Professional has a lot of information on they're site including techniques, creative formulas and the technical manual, i know this doesn't come close to comparing with 1 on 1 training but the info is there. i've read some good things about Affinage on salon geek too in terms of performance and cost effectiveness.best of luck lovie xxx

sorry lovie i can't offer much advice ( i use Wella) but from what i gather from reading some threads on here i think your best bet would be to contact a few colour houses and see what they can offer in the way of a refresher course. Tigi Professional has a lot of information on they're site including techniques, creative formulas and the technical manual, i know this doesn't come close to comparing with 1 on 1 training but the info is there. i've read some good things about Affinage on salon geek too in terms of performance and cost effectiveness.best of luck lovie xxx

Thanks for your reply, I think I might have a ring around. No doubt I will end up using Wella again as that's what Im used to but thought as I'm going to have a refresh, it would be worth looking at another colour range. I've already had a good read of the Tigi manual and will do a bit of research into Affinage too x

Thanks for your reply, I think I might have a ring around. No doubt I will end up using Wella again as that's what Im used to but thought as I'm going to have a refresh, it would be worth looking at another colour range. I've already had a good read of the Tigi manual and will do a bit of research into Affinage too x
affinage have a lot of information online too xxx
AFFINAGE Salon Professional

Just been reading it thanks, I've just been reading the manual and it looks quite straight forward, I'm liking what I've read so far x

Wat do u need to know about wella? Just a run through of each range etc??

Wat do u need to know about wella? Just a run through of each range etc??

Used to use Wella so probably not much, just really after an update of my application skills, colour theory and any new colours they've introduce since i last used them, hence looking at refresher courses. I do fancy exploring other colour houses though. I'm gonna have a research at all options as well as recommendations from fellow geeks and take it from there.

Used to use Wella so probably not much, just really after an update of my application skills, colour theory and any new colours they've introduce since i last used them, hence looking at refresher courses. I do fancy exploring other colour houses though. I'm gonna have a research at all options as well as recommendations from fellow geeks and take it from there.

Sounds good. I live in manc so if u ever need help with wella I can c Wat I can do.
I love wella but feel like I wanna explore more colour houses too.

Wow just realised its been 20 years since i started my training (last 5/6 yrs out of the trade), that makes me feel old and I'm only 35!

Sounds good. I live in manc so if u ever need help with wella I can c Wat I can do.

I might take you up on that thanks. Where abouts in MCR are you? I'm north Manchester the rough part lol

Lol ur not old!!
Although u are a veteran with ur hair industry experience.

Luckily I've been told I don't look that old either so at least when I restart people aren't gonna panic thinking they will get a purple rinse shampoo n set from me.

I'm might be a veteran but I'm hoping I've not lost it all. I'm convincing myself it will all come back to me naturally once I get my hand in. Like riding a bike although I was never good at that lol.

I did my daughters hair ombré a few weeks ago. It was the first colour I'd done for long time and it turned out quite nice which gave me a confidence boost.

Fancy being my tutor?! :lol:
I'm almost done my second year and help in a salon 1-2 days a week... but don't feel confident with colour as of yet. Had a bad experience with bleach!

I'm almost done my second year and help in a salon 1-2 days a week... but don't feel confident with colour as of yet. Had a bad experience with bleach!

Lol. Just build ur confidence up with bleach bit by but and you will be fine. Although this is a good thing as it will encourage you to use different products before reaching for the bleach :)

Bleach is always scary while your still learning but you will build your confidence and one day things just click into place without realising. As you've been advised explore all options before reaching for the bleach.

thank you :) I just want to be really good! sooner rather than later xx

thank you :) I just want to be really good! sooner rather than later xx

The fact that you are in the salon 1-2 days a week will help you loads. Watch and listen to everything. When I was in the salon I would still watch and listen to other stylists when I had time between clients even though I'd been qualified for years. My motto is that we're "always" learning and your confidence will build as you progress. Good luck Hun x

Latest posts

Back