Removing cuticle - wet or dry??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you remove cuticles, wet or dry?

• I always use a cuticle remover to remove cuticles

Votes: 200 51.9%
  • I only use a dual tool to remove cuticle, no remover

Votes: 42 10.9%
  • I do a bit of both depending on the clients needs

Votes: 143 37.1%

• Total voters

Jaffacake

Malamute Geek!
Reaction score
Since doing my conversion with Creative I have always used cuticle remover and a mixture of water and citrusoak to remove it. I wondered how many of you do the same and how many just push back the cuticle and remove using a chisel or similar but no cuticle remover?

I am asking because
a) it would save me time if I skipped the remover/water
b) I wondered if I am making the nail too wet with the water?
c) I am just plain nosey! lol

I suppose even if i did do a 'dry prep' I would still have the occasional client with badly overgrown cuticles where I needed to use the remover, but that would just be the odd client.

I do dry prep the same as you with cuticle remover, citrusoak spray etc etc...
Isabel did a poll on wet/dry manicures a while back :wink2:

Aspirations said:
I wondered how many of you do the same and how many just push back the cuticle and remove using a chisel or similar but no cuticle remover?

I am asking because
a) it would save me time if I skipped the remover/water
b) I wondered if I am making the nail too wet with the water?
c) I am just plain nosey! lol

I suppose even if i did do a 'dry prep' I would still have the occasional client with badly overgrown cuticles where I needed to use the remover, but that would just be the odd client.

I use "cleaner" on a hoof stick to push back the cuticles- althought I a going to get a metal pusher from excel next week. I dont think that you would save time not using the water and I dont think that the job would be as well done if you just used a hoof stick or a metal pusher on its own

If I had a client with really bad cuticles that meant I would be doing more prep than I should do on a set of tips I would recommend that the client just has a manicure for the first appointment to get her nails in tip top condition for have extensions :)

I hope this helps

ValencianNails said:
I do dry prep the same as you with cuticle remover, citrusoak spray etc etc...
Isabel did a poll on wet/dry manicures a while back :wink2:

I would call that a wet prep then Sandi, I am thinking of a dry prep with no cuticle remover, no citrusoak, nothing! just push back the cuticles and then dual tool.........

I know techs that do it this way...

When I have a new client getting a new set of nails, I apply cuticle remover and citrus soak/water to rinse off. On subsequent rebalances, I do dry cuticle work.

I used to do dry cuticle work but now I always use cuticle remover prior to prep whether for a rebalance or new full set...I do find that I remove all the dead tissue better this way and I also feel that I'm not going to accidentally 'scratch' or 'dig' the client's nail plate.

Oooh... i'm confused again lol.... i call it dry because i don't soak in water.
cheers Sherrie x

For the normal client:CND Cuticle remover, Cuticle work and then waterspray to remove any non living tissue and then a good scrub with scrubfresh...... Works for me every time xxxx

If I use a metal tool, I always make sure that there is a little bit of moisture on the nail when working with this..even if it means just dipping the tool in a little bit of water... avoids nail damage and helps the tool to glide over the nail rather than dig into it....

Now if I get a client that comes in with cuticles from hell, usualy a nailbiter, then it is kinder to the nail and the cuticles to do a nice full pre enhancement manicure....send then away with some cuticle eraser and solar oil for home use and then do the enhancements a few days later.....

YEP creative prep for me works bril with every system i use.

amb x

I use Biosculpture's cuticle remover, then proceed with the dual tool for the necessaries!

i use the citrusoak in a spray with the cuticle remover, i find its more effective and gentle than a dry one

Creative prep always... if i did just use a tool I would use it after a quick dip in water so it's always very gentle against the natural nail x

HI.....If it is a new client or has really bad cuticles I use Cuticle Remover and my curette then wash off with water and citrusoak......

On a rebalance or with a regular client I tend to use my AHA Cuticle Eraser, massaging it onto the nail plate then use my double ended pushie to remove any cuticle on the nail.....which has been loosened by the Cuticle Eraser...

I would never do an absolutely dry mini manicure as a part of my prep as it would not be as effective in removing all the non living tissue from the nail plate , and I don't think it is very comfortable for the client.....after all they are there to be pampered.......

izzidoll said:
HI.....If it is a new client or has really bad cuticles I use Cuticle Remover and my curette then wash off with water and citrusoak......

On a rebalance or with a regular client I tend to use my AHA Cuticle Eraser, massaging it onto the nail plate then use my double ended pushie to remove any cuticle on the nail.....which has been loosened by the Cuticle Eraser...

I would never do an absolutely dry mini manicure as a part of my prep as it would not be as effective in removing all the non living tissue from the nail plate , and I don't think it is very comfortable for the client.....after all they are there to be pampered.......

This is exactly what i do

Urban Geek said:
When I have a new client getting a new set of nails, I apply cuticle remover and citrus soak/water to rinse off. On subsequent rebalances, I do dry cuticle work.
Me to:biggrin:

Hi
I have voted for using cuticle remover but acctually it's a softner rather than remover.

I always sanitise the nail plate, put the cuticle softner on, push back and remove any cuticle on the nail plate, then I sanitise again to get all the bits off the nail and then I remove the shine.

Thats my prep anyway a little different from what I was tought, but it works for me.

MINKUS said:
YEP creative prep for me works bril with every system i use.

amb x

me too xxx

I do the same as Isabel too.xx

Hi

I use Orly Cutique, softens cuticles really well and bottle lasts for ages. Can be used without soaking, but need to make sure that residue is really well wiped away or hands are washed.

Nataliya
LCN Tech
icon_eek.gif

i'm pretty new to this and was taught (not good training) to just use hoof stick to push back cuticle then using other end (orange stick shape) to just make small round circular movements to remove any "bits" of cuticle...all done completly dry.i've been having lifting problems,and have been going through prep to try and eliminate what the problems could be,have brought a brush on cuticle remover,would you recommend i do this before all infills etc or just when initially putting new set on??? sorry if this is daft question!!! xxx

Latest posts

Back