Total Newbie Here..... Help Needed Please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura2186

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like some advice please. I'm not sure I'm in the right place (sorry if I'm not)

I really want to become a beauty therapist and work from home on a self employed basis. Firstly I need to train. I'm sure its not ideal but I would like to do this online as I have been out of education for quite a few years now (I'm 37) the thought of going back to college scares me!! I've done some research and I have found an online course that fit my budget that I think is suitable. Its with NCC Home Learning - Complete beauty diploma.

Has anyone used NCC before or even doing/done this course? I am lead to believe that this course is accredited and insurable, am I right in thinking that this is all I need to become a beauty therapist?

Thanks

Hi Laura 2186 and welcome.

You need to learn to read all the information before you sign up for courses. This is what it says on the page about the accredited level 2 beauty course “This is an unregulated qualification and is not a nationally recognised qualification”

Buyer beware!

There is a lot of information on here about training - you’re not alone in asking this question. Search through the threads.

There are no short cuts to being employable. If you find the idea of training face to face with other students terrifying - how much harder will it be to provide commercial standard services to a client? Beauty is a hands on industry. If you train with 10 fellow students you will learn 10X faster and be 10X better. Being in a class, practising on each other, helping each other and observing each other will improve the quality of your learning experience exponentially.

Cheap training sounds very attractive but it’s basically you tube. If you can’t hold down a “normal” job paying minimum wage then it might be worth having a go because there are always people that want cheap bits and bobs and aren’t too fussy - but you’ll never earn as much as if you held proper qualifications and found a job in a salon.

If you want to set up in business you will need equipment, insurance and a great deal of self belief and determination - as well as a budget to put yourself through training. If you feel anxious about going to college then I’m afraid that you are unlikely to succeed in a business venture.

I suggest that you try a mindfulness training course and practice techniques to improve mental focus and clarity. A visualisation of yourself in five years time, working in your own, beautiful home salon and loving your life will support and sustain you. Beauty training is perfect for those who have been out of education for a while. There’s a good mix of practical and theory and a proper training course will also brush up foundation maths and english. Every business person needs competent core skills, there are HMRC and Council websites to navigate, price lists to design and proof read and new treatments to learn about.

There are some good private colleges that offer face to face training as well as the local college. You have to weigh up the benefit of having a government student loan to fund your training against the convenience of a private course, but make sure you start with a level 2 and 3 nationally recognised qualification otherwise you are probably wasting your money.

Sound advice from The Duchess. I would also add that when you have qualified it’s a very good idea to gain some experience working in a salon if possible. That way you will gain confidence before you set out on your own. I retrained at the age of 38, and I worked in 2 salons before opening up my salon. I have recently retired after 25 years in the industry which I have loved. Good luck

Latest posts

Back