Wella high lift questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanutj14

Reaction score
I’m L2 nvq qualified currently working in a salon looking to expand my knowledge particularly in colour
At my salon we use wella colours.

I Have a couple of question I hope you can help me with :)
What ratio do you use with high lift and developer?

Does the developer have to be 40 vol? Should I use olaplex with this or will the make it 30vol?

Can I use high lifts with bases 5/6 if wanting a natural subtle balayage instead of bleach. Or is the lift too brassy?
Lastly do you have any favourite mixes using the special mixes (0.81) , /11 for canceling out brassy tones?

Sorry for all the questions, you don’t have to answer all just any you can help on! I know I could find these answers probably on google or elsewhere but I ‘m hoping to get some answers from people who have experience using wella colour in particular

Thanks so much for your reply it’s very helpful. I will experiment next time using the colours you recommend for a base 5, noted them down !

When would you mix with 40 vol? If the base is a 7 only?

When you last posted, you said you weren’t qualified and that your hairdresser had advised you to use a box dye...

I’m moving this thread to ‘Ask a Pro’.

Last edited:
When you last posted, you said you weren’t qualified and that your hairdresser had advised you to use a box dye...

I’m moving this thread to ‘Ask a Pro’.

Wow hi salon geek police.

Shame you can’t come as a member that doesn’t post often asking for some advice looking to learn but instead being bullied because they are not ‘pro’ enough

Who are you to say I’m not a hairdresser when I’m 22 and have been now working at a salon for a year. Yes i’m not the most experienced but I came to this forum looking to learn from nice fellow hairdressers, clearly I can’t get that here.

If this forum is full of people like you I’ll join a friendlier facebook group where I wont be judged.

Thanks for taking the time to stalk my profile but incase you didn’t notice that post was from almost 4 years ago now, I was not a hairdresser then

Your previous post was 2 years ago where you were asking for colour advice for using box dyes.
My job as a site moderator is to ensure that site rules (those that you agreed to abide by when you joined) are enforced and that potentially dangerous technical advice is only available to trained professionals.
If you are working in a Wella salon, you should have access to the Wella training manual which will answer your basic questions regarding developer strengths.

Your previous post was 2 years ago where you were asking for colour advice for using box dyes.
My job as a site moderator is to ensure that site rules (those that you agreed to abide by when you joined) are enforced and that potentially dangerous technical advice is only available to trained professionals.
If you are working in a Wella salon, you should have access to the Wella training manual which will answer your basic questions regarding developer strengths.

That thread was posted on 0/1/02/2015

If you can do basic math thats 3 years 8months, hardly two years

And seeming as you’re the only person replying to all my messages shows just how dead this site is, not exactly a thriving community. If theres site administrators like you who put new people down and make them feel unwelcome simply because they don’t believe they are a hairdresser. no wonder not many people are posting.
When I was really looking forward to see who replied to this thread in my lunch break today working my arse off all morning on clients, I get accused of this? Imagine how that feels??

As for my questions about developer strengths yer I could look in a wella manual or I could go to fellow professionals on a hair forum site which I thought is what this whole forum is for?

I guess everyones questions could be answered from a training manual if they did their research on the manufacturers instructions but I guess there wouldn’t be any point on this forum would there?

I understand that you’re annoyed because I’ve questioned your professional status, but this is based solely on what you’ve posted so far.
Realistically, a qualified hairdresser would already know the answers to some of your questions without resorting to google as they are essential basic knowledge that is examined in level 2.
Colour correction isn’t really taught until level 3 so if you’re in a salon working on paying clients, ideally you should be directing your colour correction questions to whoever is responsible for your ongoing training.

Your lack of basic colour knowledge is still evident in your latest thread that you’ve since deleted. It related to a colour correction showing a deep level 6 rich copper with the desired result of a level 7 ash. You said “I’ve tried 7.1 + 0.81 (pearl ash) koleston perfect but came out still too brassy.”

If you’re serious about becoming a decent colourist, why not sign up for additional training classes?

I understand that you’re annoyed because I’ve questioned your professional status, but this is based solely on what you’ve posted so far.
Realistically, a qualified hairdresser would already know the answers to some of your questions without resorting to google as they are essential basic knowledge that is examined in level 2.
Colour correction isn’t really taught until level 3 so if you’re in a salon working on paying clients, ideally you should be directing your colour correction questions to whoever is responsible for your ongoing training.

Your lack of basic colour knowledge is still evident in your latest thread that you’ve since deleted. It related to a colour correction showing a deep level 6 rich copper with the desired result of a level 7 ash. You said “I’ve tried 7.1 + 0.81 (pearl ash) koleston perfect but came out still too brassy.”

If you’re serious about becoming a decent colourist, why not sign up for additional training classes?

So when you came fresh from your hair qualification you knew everything about colour?
It takes experience and I was hoping to get guidance on here.
Cleary this is not the site for me then. I feel unwelcome here.

Guess I’ll learn from my lovely colleagues at work

Also thanks for finally helping me with my last question, I now know what to do...

Thanks so much for your reply it’s very helpful. I will experiment next time using the colours you recommend for a base 5, noted them down !

When would you mix with 40 vol? If the base is a 7 only?
If its a 7 then you could still use 9%, but if its darker than a 7 I'd use 12% but just use your better judgement. When you mix kp special blondes with 9% you can get up to 3levels of lift. When you mix with 12% you can get up to 5 levels of lift, from experience, if you want a cool result on a base 5 you're better off bleaching and toning.

Latest posts

Back