What disappointment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbara Perdomo

JUST SHINE
Reaction score
I am a novice compared to most on here.

My entire work life up until a year ago was in the legal field. My approach to the nail industry has been to learn from the reputable, educate myself and learn it the correct and safe way. Unfortunately, the city I'm from, you hear all sorts. I am CND & Jessica certified, but was also taught in school that you always perform a dry manicure when prepping for gel polish and or Shellac. I just heard from someone yesterday that her gel polish prep after soaking nails in acetone and scraping excess with metal pusher consists of:
A regular (hands soaked in bowl) manicure which includes the cutting of cuticle and eponychium with it (because most people in my city don't care to know the difference, they just want that area clean and free of skin at any cost), then shine removal from nail surface with buffer, spray alcohol over surface, apply nail dehydrator and then Base coat, Shellac and Top Coat. The lady guaranteed her that her polish would last 2 weeks and it has and that's ALL she cares about. I was speechless, how do you argue with that?

My nail salon will be opening before year's end and I ask myself how do I compete with people doing the above, the horror.

It's one of those days for me, I guess.

You are the professional NOT your client. Who ever has done her nails shouldn't have soaked them prior to application a dry prep is required. Carry on with opening your business and concentrate on that do f worry what others are doing.

I have a client who went to a salon where they put a layer of acrylic on because her nails are so thin and weak. They then do a regular gel polish like shellac, gelish. Whatever. When she goes back (bearing in mind there is no bulk, these are not extensions) they use an e file to drill the product off. Regularly going into the natural nail and causing pain. This isn't a cheapy nail bar, this is a beauty salon, so this lady thought that this is what you do. So eventually she complains to one of my regulars about her crap nails and she suggests a visit to my salon. They are probably the worst I've ever seen. I'll try and share a pic.

All you can do is educate. Don't name names, don't embarrass people for not knowing the difference, but do do an excellent job and you will become the go to place when their nails are suffering x
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1475516525.568696.jpg

how do I compete with people doing the above, the horror.

You are not competing, you will be there to pick up the pieces and reeducate when the inevitable happens. You can only get away with shoddy prep and application a few times before the cracks start to show.

I have a client who went to a salon where they put a layer of acrylic on because her nails are so thin and weak. They then do a regular gel polish like shellac, gelish. Whatever. When she goes back (bearing in mind there is no bulk, these are not extensions) they use an e file to drill the product off. Regularly going into the natural nail and causing pain. This isn't a cheapy nail bar, this is a beauty salon, so this lady thought that this is what you do. So eventually she complains to one of my regulars about her crap nails and she suggests a visit to my salon. They are probably the worst I've ever seen. I'll try and share a pic.

All you can do is educate. Don't name names, don't embarrass people for not knowing the difference, but do do an excellent job and you will become the go to place when their nails are suffering xView attachment 201255
Poor woman. This picture speaks volumes. Thank you!

All you can do is educate. Don't name names, don't embarrass people for not knowing the difference, but do do an excellent job and you will become the go to place when their nails are suffering xView attachment 201255

That poor client! I was applying a spray tan the other day and I looked at my clients nails and thought "your poor sore nails" they were full of burn rings and indentations from whatever nail bar/salon she had been going to. I did say anything as I could see she was already embarrassed by them but i will send her a eblast with a discount for a nail treatment. X

I stopped going to NSS nail bars three years ago and my nails are still recovering from it! Once I discovered from training that the safe, non damaging ways to do nails don't add on to your cost, or take more time, I've never looked back. I can talk a person who loves their NSS salon out of ever going! I plan to offer a" try it you won't regret it" offer and tag line as my local high street is full of NSS salons offering "shelllac" and "gellish" when I have the time and funds to start up at home soon. Fight for what is right and one surprisingly satisfied client will sing your praises and they'll all come running.. then you'll be too fully booked to see them all!! Xx

oh my gosh the poor lady than god she got refereed to you x

Latest posts

Back