When to go official with HMRC

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k_lee110788

Reaction score
I qualified in hairdressing L3 and hair extensions years ago before having kids. I am on income support and get child tax credits and housing benefit. While bringing up the kids i did some refresher courses.
A few month ago i set up a facebook page and have been doing clients for just the price of materials so making no profit. I now feel ready to start charging but havent passed my driving test yet so will only be doing a few customers a week until i can drive. I have booked my first fully paying customer in for next month, its hair extensions and I will be making £50 profit but will be putting it back into the business (advertising, buying products and colours) Do I have to register with hmrc now? And does anyone know how it will effect my benefits? I am going to sort out insurance before the fitting.
I realy dont know were to start!

You should register with HMRC as soon as you started working, even if you made no profit. Your accounts will show a loss so there will be no income tax to pay but you still have to declare that.

With regard to the effects on your benefits you're better off discussing it with HMRC directly as i think its different for individuals

If you set up a Facebook page or advertise yourself as providing a service, you have to register with HMRC within 3 months. At least that's what my advisor at Business gateway told me xx

Ok, thank you, I will get started tomorrow then! Im excited to go official!

Latest posts

Back