Advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemma010

Reaction score
Before I start I just want to say hello and wish you all a happy Xmas and new year.

I'm sorry if all I am asking is in any previous posts (I had spent all day yesterday looking but didn't have much luck)

OK, briefly my past, present and future.....

I qualified beauty level 2 etc back in 1997, I worked in a salon for around 3 years and had a few days on and off at Top of the Pops (my goal was to go into film makeup however, didn't have £6000 to do the course) in the end as the minimum wage was £3.20 back then my travel costs were far greater than my income so I left the beauty industry and went into insurance (boring I know :zzz:) to save for the course. From then till now I have stayed in insurance and worked my way into quite a technical role within the claims side dealing with injury compensation claims.......

Now here is where my questions start, I am currently on maternity leave (dd date 28/12/09) I have decided that I don't want to go back to work full time unfortunately my current role will not allow me to go back part time nor reduced hours so, I have been sitting here thinking waiting for D day and thought I should make use of the skills I have be it many moons ago. I was thinking about becoming a mobile therapist whilst baby is young and then look into buying my own salon in a few years (partner has agreed more to stop me going on about it I think :rolleyes:)

I know you are all probably thinking "oh here we go she thinks it’s so easy to just waltz back into the beauty world" if I did I wouldn't be on here asking the questions I am so....

All my qualifications are dated 1997 including my health and safety, do I need to update this by going on another course or is the one I done back at college sufficient.

I was thinking about doing some refresher courses provided by suppliers however I really dont want to waste money and time (time being more limited for obvious reasons), would anyone in my position do the same??

I can remember the treatments taught when I was at college as I still do some treatments for friends and family however I am certainly not professional when I do these (was usually armed with a bottle of wine :)) also are these outdated??

I have (I know this is the wrong place to mention this but) well my partner has got me the EN acrylic course, one to stop me moaning about being bored waiting for D day but also to stop me spending money on line (I love the internet!!!!) I'm not doing this for the qualification as I already have this again dated 1997, its purely 1. to refresh my skills and 2. to stop me going mad being kept locked up in doors (fear of waters breaking in public)

Onto contra-indications and after-care advice, I remember most things but have these changed?? Can anyone assist in providing info on this other than obtaining record cards and pre-printed after-care advice leaflets?

Last question (sorry too long being cooped up on my own) I have a few items left from my beauty days however, I think it would be best for a whole fresh start, have any of you any recommendations on complete kits and equipment ie, wax heater, couch and mani tables ect.

Also products, I was trained on dermalogica (still use to this day) gatineau, hive, solutions, edge and nailtiques are there any new products that are good??

I just want to thank anyone for reading my ramblings........

Hi,

I trained about the same time as you, done an hnd beauty therapy, although I have worked in the industry ever since. Don't think you necessarily need to obtain more updated training, but I suppose if there is areas that you don't feel confident in, then perhaps re-train in that.

You are obviously going to buy products and equipment, so many suppliers will train you to use them. You could take advantage of this to brush up your skills.

With regards to contra-indications, my insurance always say to go with what you were trained, so I go with what I was trained in college. After care, consultations etc, the same.

I find Ellisons a good supplier for basics and furniture and they do start-up kits. Also beauty express. I noticed that WOW factor do a start up package for waxing, lashes and tanning than you can pay in installments, I think. They do training on this as well. Contact collin on here, for that.

I would probably sit down and think about what treatments you want to offer, then research the brands.

xxx

Thank you allyballybee so much for your help.

I know its not going to be easy and something I can start up straight away and really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Thank you again x

Well I would start by practising loads now, reading up on as much info as you can - its all here on the net if you look.. Its amazing how it all comes back.

I think if you trained in this industry its a shame to not be using it.

And there are people who have been in the same position as you aand just gone straight back into it.

You have your training and no one can take that away from you and I like the fact your wanting to refresh your skills - this is all good.

You have an EN course - then use it - play about with it - but it wont make you a great nail tech, but you can get to grips with them, but unless you pick it up brilliantly I wouldn't advise you do clients - it will just make you unhappy and cost you in time doing repairs. You really need some thorough training for nails.

I would look into doing brow waxes, mani's pedi's, massage, lash tinting to get you started mobile and build up your treatment menu. None of these have a huge outlay.

best of luck - hope this helps a bit

I have collared my family and friends into letting me practice on them, I wouldn't trust myself at this point to do any proper clients. I expect maybe in around 6 months I might have the confidence to do a paying customer.

I do wish I stuck at it but you know how life goes always different paths that turn up.

With regards to the EN course, this is not for a qualification as I already have this, its purely 1. to keep me from going mad at home (there is only so many times you can clean your kitchen cupboards out!!) and 2. I really would hate to ruin someones nails in the real world be it family or not, also it just helps bring back the training I had all those many years ago.

Its just a matter of it all coming back to me, the massage techniques are proving the pain I remember most of it but whether this is in the right order I couldn't tell you lol.

Thank you for your help. I defo feel more comfortable after hearing from you guys that my so called skills have not been written off.

Latest posts

Back