Anyone else made beauty their career change?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beigebeautybox

Reaction score
HI all :)

Firstly, thanks for having me! Im not entirly new to beauty - I studied my nvq level 2 beauty diploma when I left school but then went into childcare and had my own children so never got fully delved into it in a career sence and before you know it - here I am , nearly 35 and wanting to finally 'start'.

Am I mad to think that I can blend into this industry technically starting at my age? Ive found a really reputable beauty academy where I can recover all the main services that Im hoping to start out with so im grand on that front but I always have fibromyalgia and ME . Im planning on being mobile while I build up clients ( although I do have a summer house in the garden that I could possilbly convert if I need to?)

Has anyone ever started later? How did you find it? I also home educate our little people so the thought of being able to have a career that Ill love around the things I still need to do at home really drives me to make it work! BUt I would really appreciate any advice!
Thank you x

Welcome to the forum.

You are not mad for having ambition and you will blend in very well ! It should be a great solution for all the things in your life.
Whilst I started in the industry at the age of 19, being employed at a salon, I became self employed whilst my sons were very young. You have drive and ambition and I am sure you can get it to work for your children, health and all the rest of it.

Nurseries for child care were virtually non existent at the time I started and would have taken more than half of my wages. So I did mobile for a while and then had my home salon which I preferred. Have got a few more mobile clients these past few years as they don't drive anymore due to health issues. It is not what I like...too much to cart around and it takes extra time.

There are other late starters on here so maybe there will be a few other worthy comments from them.
Good luck ☺️

Hey! I'm 42 and have just changed career to beauty... so i don't think you're mad at all. I have just finished my training (been studying more or less full time for 2 years) and hoping to start my own business as soon as we move house. Hope it all goes well for you. xxx

Hey!!
I’ve just reopened my business after a Covid break. I’m 61.
I did my training at 59! And had a very successful business run from home. After hounding from some clients I’ve reopened keeping my client list short no advertising. Good luck with your new venture. Do what you love!! Life’s too short 🙏🏻

Latest posts

Back