Beauty therapist, not a chiropodist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually lost a regular client who went to another local salon who would remove her corns and had too laugh thru disgust, all the way home from the school yard (kids actually in same class) as she was wearing flip flops and blood was seeping through plasters - 2 days before her holiday!!!
I was actually sad for her :sad:

You've definitely done the right thing by not removing them. Job for a chiropodist and not a beauty therapist, its unprofessional and unhygienic for us to deal with things like that!x

I suspect the reason certain clients don't want to go to a chiropodist is that they know they will pay more money for a shorter treatment.

I hate the line 'my old salon used to....' well why did they leave then ?!

A few years ago a new nail bar opened locally to me and a friend had a pedicure there, ended up having half her heel sliced off and one of her boots soaked in blood !!! She went back to complain and they gave her £100 for a new pair of boots :eek: I told her regardless of any 'compensation' they had given her she needed to inform the council.

It wasn't just a little cut either it was almost the length of her heel.

We don't sort corns or use blades on feet in my salon. Therapists are not trained in this.

I use a blade on my own hooves tho :)

I have had this recently, not with corns, but with VERY hard skin. While I absolutely agree that part of a pedicure is taking off hard skin, this was extreme and was so deep, it had cuts in it (not an infection, but just breakages in the hard skin). I merely informed the lady that I will take off as much as I can and with regaular pedicures, it will keep it at bay once the problem skin has been sorted, but that she will need to see a chiropodist to get a proper removal of the inbedded skin.

Thankfully she was ok about it, but she did inform me that the cuts were from another salon who took a "knife and scalpol" to her feet... arrgh!! :eek: I merely smiled and said "well I certainly won't be doing that as I am not qualified to do so and wouldn't do that to my own feet, let alone yours"... she laughed and was fine about it!

It makes me cringe what some salons will do... a beauty therapist/beautician and a chiropodist are two very different careers and I think a chiropodist would be horrified to hear that salons were attempting to do their job for them!

I am a part trained Chiropodist (I had to quit Uni half way through when I fell pregnant and couldnt commute on rush hr trains anymore) I do plan to go back next year and finish and cannot wait!

This is the reason why I do not offer pedicures.

I know how to remove dry skin and corns, how to treat verrucas and ingrown toenails, but as a Nail Tech I will NEVER EVER do anything on a client as I stand today.
I am no more qualified than any other nail tech in dealing with these clients, no matter how much they may want it or beg for it. I will ALWAYS advise them to go to a Chiropodist and if they complain about the price, I give them the number of the local Podiatry dept at the Uni where students work on them at a very reduced fee.
Until I have that Degree, I will be staying away.

Thing is though Chiporody/Podiatry is a little like the Nail business. There are courses out there called "Foot practitioner" which some are not worth the paper they are written on and how people get insurance with them I do not know. I guess they dont.

My long term goal is open my own Salon which will be a combined Nail and Podiatry salon. (there are a couple in my area here already)
xx

Latest posts

Back