Boyfriend refused treatments in salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband refuses for me to treat men for any treatment, he's old school and a bit outta the ark lol :( a shame because I'm missing out on a lot of business and potential loyal clients.
I think men shouldn't be discriminated against esp at salons! I can understand though for those working alone/mobile why they choose not to, just a shame a few spoil it for the majority :(

It really is individual choice and as therapists we must deliver the service to the best if our ability and we can only do this if we feel 100% comfortable in that situation.

If we choose not to have certain clients that's our right and no one should criticise us for making that choice... I only offer male grooming and choose not to offer my treatments to female clients and I don't get criticised the same way that female therapists who choose not to treat men do which does seem really unfair.... But it's my decision and I don't feel I have to defend that choice so it's the same for female therapists.

However the one thing that I don't like or feel is fair is when salons or therapists treat men differently in terms of the way they deliver the treatments. I think you should decide which treatments you feel uncomfortable with and don't offer them. I know that some men can behave badly , believe me some men can behave badly with male therapists as well and having worked in a spa I know that some women can equally behave Inappropriately and I appreciate it's often more likely to be the male clients that do but that said not all men do behave like this. I would not relax with a chaperone in the room, or would I feel relaxed if I thought my therapist was on edge.

So for me whilst I find it annoying that I often find a nice salon offering amazing treatments but they don't treat men then I accept that's their decision and find somewhere that does in the hope that they will treat me the same way as they do with their female clients.

Jack

There was a thread not that long ago about men only nail bars??

I have been mobile and only treated women. I never had any men enquire about appts.
When I go back to working in a salon I will offer treatments to men, the last salon I worked I had a male client for a luxury mani & pedi. He lived in Dubai and told me out there they have male only nail bars and they were always busy when he went.
He has been in touch and advised once I'd set up in my new place he will visit me for regular luxury mani & pedi appts as there are no other salons near where I worked that will offer treatments to men.

No one is in the wrong with who they offer treatments too. It's all down to personal choice I guess x

Leely x

I wax men every day but I don't see that they were in the wrong. There are plenty of Male Grooming only salons who wouldn't know what to do if a woman walked in. It's their choice.

When I had my high street salon, I did do men, however I would not advertise this, as unfortunately when I first opened (back in the nineties) I was a magnet for men who must of mistaken a beauty salon for prostitution. After a very uncomfortable situation I then refused men as I did not feel comfortable and refused but after a little while you realize it's like refusing certain nationalities as they can be difficult to pay or Jehovah as you get preached to or chav's as you are concerned about them lowering the tone, but it's actually prejudice and so I started again and was fine and no problems, lesson learn t but wiser. However have caution there if your a woman mobile alone keep yourself safe, that is more of a priority than a man's feelings!

When I had my high street salon, I did do men, however I would not advertise this, as unfortunately when I first opened (back in the nineties) I was a magnet for men who must of mistaken a beauty salon for prostitution. After a very uncomfortable situation I then refused men as I did not feel comfortable and refused but after a little while you realize it's like refusing certain nationalities as they can be difficult to pay or Jehovah as you get preached to or chav's as you are concerned about them lowering the tone, but it's actually prejudice and so I started again and was fine and no problems, lesson learn t but wiser. However have caution there if your a woman mobile alone keep yourself safe, that is more of a priority than a man's feelings!

I have missed you :) and agree wholeheartedly with you.. except I am from a jehova family (lapsed) and dont preach lol. Not offended though

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I treat men if I was mobile I wouldnt but I do in the shop :) they can have any treatment excluding intimate waxing as i am not trained

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I wax men every day but I don't see that they were in the wrong. There are plenty of Male Grooming only salons who wouldn't know what to do if a woman walked in. It's their choice.

Kim - I know you are extremely professional, and I mean this with the greatest sense of humour...what happens if a really stunning male comes in for intimate waxing....I'd be all flustered and probably get in a right state mixing my words up and dropping things......ha ha

I'm not feeling in a professional mood tonight....and I bet I know your answer...it wouldn't bother you one bit I bet...ha ha

We tend to find that guys make very loyal clients too.

A guy will walk out of a massage treatment and immediately book another 2 weeks later, as well as a pedicure and a haircut. Men are huge business in beauty and we value them highly.

I can understand some of you not offering intimate waxing, but have you thought about nose/ear waxing for males? This can be very lucrative!

I started visiting beauty therapists some seventeen years ago, mostly for hair removal but also for other treatments such as massage, body exfoliation, facials, mani's, ... even make-up :) In that time I have enjoyed long client/therapist relationships with several female therapists.

I have also come across female therapists unwilling to accept male clients but have never had a problem with this, I would rather be turned away than receive a treatment from a therapist who is not comfortable treating me – very awkward!

Oh, and believe it or not, I have, on occasions, experienced bad behaviour from female therapists – yes, I was shocked! So we male clients are vulnerable too! (Hope I'm not starting something here.)

Some salons treat ladies only, some treat men only, some treat male and female. Some treat trans-men, some treat trans-women, some refuse to treat trans-clients.

Every salon and every therapist must set their own boundaries as to who they feel comfortable treating.

It is just unprofessional when salons and therapists treat people so badly when saying they won't / can't (they may not be qualified) treat them - completely unnecessary.

I offer treatments to men, I think that they are lovely but I have also had a few that were very uncomfortable to treat so I just told then I was fully booked - my male clients are lovely and are great business they actually listen to aftercare advice and never walk out without buying a product especially the exfoliates and etc. They always come regularly and a lot of them are friends with my OH, although I wouldn't treat men if i was mobile for safety reasons, some therapists don't treat men because its out of their comfort zone and a lot of the time their partners don't allow it. I love men that look after themselves and they definitely shouldn't be looked down upon by wanting beauty treatments - beauty is for everyone :)

give me a man any day, i'll sort him out good and proper :Love:

Latest posts

Back