CND Nourishing Remover not working properly!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russian doll

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been using pure acetone to remove Shellac (I use cotton and foil) since we first got it in the salon, and never had any problems with it coming off. Recently I bought some Nourishing Remover to give it a try since it should be better for the nails and I also read it works faster (especially since we've had a terribly cold winter so far!).
Anyway, I tried it on 2 clients so far and had a REALLY hard time getting Shellac off! I started to unwrap foils after about 9-10 minutes, just like I usually do. But Shellac was not even flaking at this point. So I rewrapped and waited another couple of minutes and rubbed it a bit with almost no affect. In the end I just had to use more pressure with my orange wood stick then I would ever like to use on the nail!
Please, tell me what I'm doing wrong, if there is any tip I'm not aware of? I did a search on it and it seems that everybody loves it and it should be fabulous. What am I missing?!

I'd be interested to know this too as i had the same problem and wondered where i was going wrong. X

Did you really saturate the pad with remover? Nourishing remover takes 8 minutes to work so you should check in it sooner than you usually would. When you wait longer not only does the remover start to dry up but the Shellac can actually start to reharden. Make sure you are wrapping really snuggly too.

Steph xx

I was watching a CND YouTube video and the lady gave the wrap a squeeze at the beginning and about halfway through to release the remover from the pad. I tried this and it made a huge difference as usually was finding removal quite difficult.

Hi everyone! I've been using pure acetone to remove Shellac (I use cotton and foil) since we first got it in the salon, and never had any problems with it coming off. Recently I bought some Nourishing Remover to give it a try since it should be better for the nails and I also read it works faster (especially since we've had a terribly cold winter so far!).
Anyway, I tried it on 2 clients so far and had a REALLY hard time getting Shellac off! I started to unwrap foils after about 9-10 minutes, just like I usually do. But Shellac was not even flaking at this point. So I rewrapped and waited another couple of minutes and rubbed it a bit with almost no affect. In the end I just had to use more pressure with my orange wood stick then I would ever like to use on the nail!
Please, tell me what I'm doing wrong, if there is any tip I'm not aware of? I did a search on it and it seems that everybody loves it and it should be fabulous. What am I missing?!

I use hot towels and give my clients a free hot towel treatment when I remove their gel. The heat always helps the gel come off the nails faster. I put lotion on their hands after putting soaked cotton and foils on all their fingers, then I wrap their hands in hot towels. I only have to let that sit for about 5 minutes and I start working on the pinky of one hand and the gel just flakes right off. I am not even using the easy to remove Shellac either, I use Harmony Gelish gel polish :) I have also used CND nourishing remover when removing Shellac in the past, and it wasn't as easy as using 100% acetone. Maybe give hot towels a try to see what happens. Plus your clients love getting free treatments :)

Make sure the pad is really saturated with product Hun xxxxx

Thanks ladies for your suggestions! I think I'm already saturating the pad really well (sometimes too much actually, because when I'm squeezing I see the remover coming out of the wrap sometimes). And yes, I'm giving it a squeeze/rub while the wraps are on and a good rub before I pull the wrap off...could it be that I actually was waiting too long? I'll try to remove them faster next time and see if it helps.
I was also wondering how I could incorporate the heat? Some of my ladies have really cold hands, plus the weather has been freezing. I love the towel treatment, but I don't have a towel warmer, and not even a sink in the room. I do have a nail dryer that gives out a good amount of heat, but I don't know if that would be safe to use while the wraps with remover are on?

Is it the real CND Shellac? Cos that always comes off really fast and efficiently for me. If its a copy then that's probably where your problem lies as your removal process is pretty much the same as mine.

(I'm not accusing you of using fakes, just checking :D)

Well, how would I know if it's a fake? It says CND on the bottle, and I got it from my local cosmoprof supplier, where I get all my CND products...I doubt they would sell a fake product, right?
It's very strange, as I read such great reviews about it. I never experienced such problems with regular acetone.

Well, how would I know if it's a fake? It says CND on the bottle, and I got it from my local cosmoprof supplier, where I get all my CND products...I doubt they would sell a fake product, right?
It's very strange, as I read such great reviews about it. I never experienced such problems with regular acetone.

The only companies that are authorised to sell CND Shellac is sweet squared and Ellison's. If bought elsewhere it could well be a fake xx

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using SalonGeek mobile app

Very odd although sometimes it defo takes longer than other times, maybe just coincidence? Maybe used more topcoat than normal?

Very annoying! Xxxx

Hi ladies any other ways in incorporating heat as I don't have a towel warmer?

The only companies that are authorised to sell CND Shellac is sweet squared and Ellison's. If bought elsewhere it could well be a fake xx

The OP is not in the UK but in America where Cosmoprof is licensed to sell CND.

I have never had a problem with Nourishing remover and much prefer it to Acetone, but I do apply some heat whilst it does its job, with warm mitts and a wheat bag. I think the cold could be your problem.
However if you find acetone works best for you, then use Acetone, no problem :)

That's what I'm thinking-that it might be the cold that's giving me troubles. I don't mind the acetone, but if something else is less drying, better smelling and better for the nails-I'm all for it, you know. That's why I wanted to give this remover a try. I'm looking at some wheat bags now, hoping it will help me out! :)

My local Dennis Williams sells CND shellac aswell

<Whispers> I buff the shine off the top coat and then soak using foil wraps and Nourishing Remover. By the time I've finished wrapping the 10th nail, the first is pretty much ready to come off!!

Thanks ladies for your suggestions! I think I'm already saturating the pad really well (sometimes too much actually, because when I'm squeezing I see the remover coming out of the wrap sometimes). And yes, I'm giving it a squeeze/rub while the wraps are on and a good rub before I pull the wrap off...could it be that I actually was waiting too long? I'll try to remove them faster next time and see if it helps.
I was also wondering how I could incorporate the heat? Some of my ladies have really cold hands, plus the weather has been freezing. I love the towel treatment, but I don't have a towel warmer, and not even a sink in the room. I do have a nail dryer that gives out a good amount of heat, but I don't know if that would be safe to use while the wraps with remover are on?

If you have a kettle, fill up a water bottle & rest their hands in mitts on top of the hot water bottle.

I use a couple of wheat pillows warmed in the microwave, its gentle heat and smells of lavender - delicious!!

Yes I find it takes longer to soak off when the client has cold hands or when the salon is cold, can't wait for the summer!!

Would it be too dangerous to warm the hands under a lamp whilst the foils are on? I have an infrared lamp, would this a possibility?

Does anyone do this? I usually use a wheat bag but I'd like to have another option too.

Latest posts

Back