First house!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We brought your house in 2005 ,it was the first one we looked at I grow up in the area so know it very well, so glad we did it when we did would not be able to afford it now, we didn't have a deposit even had to borrow the money to pay the solicitor , we took a 30 year mortgage but we have managed to shave 10 year off of that so far, I have no intention of moving unless its absolutely necessary :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

A 250k starter home?! that's a price most people can only dream of

clearly you don't live in London/south east. 250k is actually quite a small amount for a starter home round here in the nicer areas. You'd need to do it up quite a bit too...unfortunately this is why lots of people are renting because we need at least 25k deposit :(

I'd say take a good look at the 5% deposits and find something you really like. Save like mad (no takeaways!) and take your time. Good luck x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yea £250k is actually the range we're looking at, being in the south east. It's tough but we're nearly there. Just want to take our time and find the perfect place for us!x

Yea £250k is actually the range we're looking at, being in the south east. It's tough but we're nearly there. Just want to take our time and find the perfect place for us!x

Oh my word, there's a street near me where two houses got auctioned off in a job lot for £1000! The average price for a 3 bedroom is about £65,000! I know people earn less in the north as the cost of living is lower but surely the wage gap isn't that big. :S

I don't know how people afford to live down there! 250k would buy me a perfect 4bed house near me with no work needed doing and in a good area! If only I could afford that much!

Oh my word, there's a street near me where two houses got auctioned off in a job lot for £1000! The average price for a 3 bedroom is about £65,000! I know people earn less in the north as the cost of living is lower but surely the wage gap isn't that big. :S

Where on earth do you live!? I need to move there! I'm in London 250k gets you a 1bedroom flat!!!!! :-(

Where on earth do you live!? I need to move there! I'm in London 250k gets you a 1bedroom flat!!!!! :-(

Haha no you don't I live in Middlesbrough XD

Sent from my HTC One mini using SalonGeek mobile app

We have our first viewing tomorrow night so any tips on what to look out for would me much appreciated :D xx

Haha no you don't I live in Middlesbrough XD

Sent from my HTC One mini using SalonGeek mobile app

Lol! Maybe time for a re think I like the sound of £63000!!!

Lol! Maybe time for a re think I like the sound of £63000!!!

I think I agree! Maybe even buy it just to get on the property ladder and rent it out...can you do that?! Lol

As for what to look out for - structural damage (cracks maybe) and damp. Two biggest money burglars of property. Obviously a survey would check this but if it's obvious then don't think ah that's easy to do up, it'll be fine! Cause it won't x

I think I agree! Maybe even buy it just to get on the property ladder and rent it out...can you do that?! Lol

As for what to look out for - structural damage (cracks maybe) and damp. Two biggest money burglars of property. Obviously a survey would check this but if it's obvious then don't think ah that's easy to do up, it'll be fine! Cause it won't x

I wish! I think I would have to live in it! lol xx

There are houses and flats in London that are between £115k-£200k but they are in the Greater London boroughs. We bought our house 6 years ago and we're glad that we did. I totally agree with Persianista and wanted to add you also need to consider transport links (bus stop, train station, roads) and schools - if you have or are planning on having children of course :)

I think, a bit like everything, some people can get hung up on having the biggest and the best and there's nothing wrong with that if you can afford it. But if you need somewhere to live, then purchase what you can afford and enjoy making it a home for your family. (Not aimed at any geeks in particular, just something I told a friend recently that is getting stressed looking for a property). X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Buying is so stressful

I bought my first house in 94 so got it for a song... Moved and bought another house 11 years ago was rundown but got it for a good price and I put down 40k but taken us 10 years to get it nearly perfect added 4th bedroom another bathroom etc and now worth about 340k and I live CR0/SE25 border, my daughter and her boyfriend want to buy... Prices are a joke and they are saving madly (luckily both have good jobs) but they know will take another couple of years to have around 20k for deposit on a flat..

My advise like others have said is when you see a place you'll know if its the one, I did with both places, get surveys done very important and if you can get a place you do up, it's worth it, my house value is around 100k more than originally paid and it's not finished.

Def look at surrounding area and see if there are plans for future things, round here we have a new Westfield being built and they recon value on properties will go up over next few years because of this. Plus there are plan already in place and ongoing to make Croydon a better looking area (if that's possible lol)

Good luck

This is so popular round here, everyone buys up houses and rents to students, on average they make about £20,000 a year off one house. Definitely a good business venture!

This is so popular round here, everyone buys up houses and rents to students, on average they make about £20,000 a year off one house. Definitely a good business venture!

Lol maybe in the future when I've had enough of the snooty clients haha :)

P.s. whoever said about 150k houses in greater london....yes but in the horrible areas where you will get burgled! :( x

Lol maybe in the future when I've had enough of the snooty clients haha :)

P.s. whoever said about 150k houses in greater london....yes but in the horrible areas where you will get burgled! :( x

I've never been burgled and my neighbours have never been burgled either! I bought my first house at 21. Everyone that thought I was crazy is now looking for property and can't afford one!

I really think that this misconception is causing plenty of people to not get on the housing ladder, it's a shame because others see this as an opportunity to buy and then rent it out (to the same people that say they wouldn't buy it!!) So the cycle continues... Home owners upgrade and renters are priced out of the market. X

I've never been burgled and my neighbours have never been burgled either! I bought my first house at 21. Everyone that thought I was crazy is now looking for property and can't afford one!

I really think that this misconception is causing plenty of people to not get on the housing ladder, it's a shame because others see this as an opportunity to buy and then rent it out (to the same people that say they wouldn't buy it!!) So the cycle continues... Home owners upgrade and renters are priced out of the market. X

I hope I didn't sound like a snob lol I just know the places near me that have houses for that cheap are areas riddled with crime. You might have got lucky to find one for cheaper in a nicer area. I agree though that it was much easier to buy just a few years ago and now people are really struggling.

I'm so glad I live in Scotland and house prices are not as ludicrous as down south.

My next door neighbours house is up for sale..........dreading it in case I get awful new ones!

Latest posts

Back