Hair colouring advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel80

Reaction score
Hi I’m here as I have no one to ask these questions to, my hairdresser and good school friend died suddenly in February so I’m hoping someone can offer me some advice.

My natural level is a 6. I previously had highlights and then decided to bleach my whole head and use an 8.1 demi, the reason I done this was because I tried using an 8.1 with a permanent dye and 20vol but it went orange.

My questions are… instead of bleaching my roots every time and using a demi would it be possible to lift using a 30vol without going orange? Or is it normal for people to bleach and deposit each time?

My hair is due to be coloured again soon and is a lot lighter than 6 weeks ago which I like but it always goes quite warm as it washes out because it’s not bleached white. Instead of using a demi on the bleach would using a permanent dye help open the cuticle and deposit the dye inside so when I continue using the demi for refreshes the slight yellow of the bleach won’t warm it up as it’s filled?

My last question is… instead of using XP100 8.1 I’m going to try L’Oréal Dialight as I’ve heard XP isn’t great quality. I’m going to try a mix of 50/50 9.21 and 8.21 so the violet neutralises the warmth and it isn’t as dark to begin with. Are these colours safe to use to achieve a dark blonde? The reason I ask is because I tried a Goldwell 8CA to counteract warmth which worked great but it left my hair blue!

1st pic is when it’s just been coloured 8.1
2nd pic is today around 5-6 weeks later

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpeg
    IMG_0546.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2018.jpeg
    IMG_2018.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Has this message been posted? I can’t see it on the forum? If it’s in the wrong place could admin move it please x

Hi I’m here as I have no one to ask these questions to, my hairdresser and good school friend died suddenly in February so I’m hoping someone can offer me some advice.

My natural level is a 6. I previously had highlights and then decided to bleach my whole head and use an 8.1 demi, the reason I done this was because I tried using an 8.1 with a permanent dye and 20vol but it went orange.

My questions are… instead of bleaching my roots every time and using a demi would it be possible to lift using a 30vol without going orange? Or is it normal for people to bleach and deposit each time?

My hair is due to be coloured again soon and is a lot lighter than 6 weeks ago which I like but it always goes quite warm as it washes out because it’s not bleached white. Instead of using a demi on the bleach would using a permanent dye help open the cuticle and deposit the dye inside so when I continue using the demi for refreshes the slight yellow of the bleach won’t warm it up as it’s filled?

My last question is… instead of using XP100 8.1 I’m going to try L’Oréal Dialight as I’ve heard XP isn’t great quality. I’m going to try a mix of 50/50 9.21 and 8.21 so the violet neutralises the warmth and it isn’t as dark to begin with. Are these colours safe to use to achieve a dark blonde? The reason I ask is because I tried a Goldwell 8CA to counteract warmth which worked great but it left my hair blue!

1st pic is when it’s just been coloured 8.1
2nd pic is today around 5-6 weeks later
So lifting and then recolouring would actually be the most effective way to achieve an 8.1 on darker hair. Permanent tint will eventually cause build up and unnecessary damage. Adding violet to your formula will be the best option for avoiding the warm glow. Also you can use a tinted shampoo to maintain a cool result. I've recently discovered that the matrix dark envy has quite a lot of blue and violet tones, this will help dramatically with keeping your hair cool in-between top ups.

Side note. Are you only bleaching your roots after 6 weeks? Not taking the beach through to the ends?

So lifting and then recolouring would actually be the most effective way to achieve an 8.1 on darker hair. Permanent tint will eventually cause build up and unnecessary damage. Adding violet to your formula will be the best option for avoiding the warm glow. Also you can use a tinted shampoo to maintain a cool result. I've recently discovered that the matrix dark envy has quite a lot of blue and violet tones, this will help dramatically with keeping your hair cool in-between top ups.

Side note. Are you only bleaching your roots after 6 weeks? Not taking the beach through to the ends?
Hi thank you so much for your input. I’ll definitely keep bleaching instead of lifting with dye and yes I only bleach the root. The only issue I have with this method is when using the demi my roots are always lighter than the rest of my hair, even if I leave it on the roots longer than the ends so I’ve sometimes been forced to bleach the root then colour the whole head and then dye the roots on their own to darken them up which seems a little excessive to me. I’ve also tried using a darker mix on the root than the ends but the roots were always lighter, do you have any advice on this?

Also what are your thoughts on using L’Oréal dialight 8.21 & 9.21 they are proper blonde colours and not additives that will make my hair purple are they?

Oh btw is this a method that grey people would use or does that need to be permanent dye? I’m not sure if bleaching grey and using Demi makes a difference.

Hi thank you so much for your input. I’ll definitely keep bleaching instead of lifting with dye and yes I only bleach the root. The only issue I have with this method is when using the demi my roots are always lighter than the rest of my hair, even if I leave it on the roots longer than the ends so I’ve sometimes been forced to bleach the root then colour the whole head and then dye the roots on their own to darken them up which seems a little excessive to me. I’ve also tried using a darker mix on the root than the ends but the roots were always lighter, do you have any advice on this?

Also what are your thoughts on using L’Oréal dialight 8.21 & 9.21 they are proper blonde colours and not additives that will make my hair purple are they?

Oh btw is this a method that grey people would use or does that need to be permanent dye? I’m not sure if bleaching grey and using Demi makes a difference.
You could always do your roots with 7.1 and the ends with 8.1 to get a balance. I'm not that familiar with L'Oréal shades. But it makes sense because it has violet in it.

As for grey hair. It depends on the percentage of white. If it's under 50% definitely bleach and tone. But as you start to get to the higher % of white , bleach won't help. It will lighten the base but still leave the white hairs white. Toner won't give white coverage.

You could always do your roots with 7.1 and the ends with 8.1 to get a balance. I'm not that familiar with L'Oréal shades. But it makes sense because it has violet in it.

As for grey hair. It depends on the percentage of white. If it's under 50% definitely bleach and tone. But as you start to get to the higher % of white , bleach won't help. It will lighten the base but still leave the white hairs white. Toner won't give white coverage.
Once again thank you for your reply.
I’ll try posting a separate question regarding L’Oréal in the hope someone is knowledgeable about this line.

One last question regarding grey. Once the grey percentage gets above 50% how would this shade be achieved? Would I use a permanent with 30vol and pray it lifts passed the warm stage or bleach and permanent with 20vol?

Thank you for all your help 😊

Latest posts

Back