Hairdressing in Australia?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I come too?! :) haha but On a serious note it's something I've always fancied, but I just wouldn't know where to start! X

Do it... u never know unless you try :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

i know some good contacts in oz if you wanna drop me a line ?

I did this 10 years ago, wow time has flown since then! I went out on a working holiday visa and then worked temp jobs in offices while travelling (was too hard getting work on a temporary basis (for 3 months at a time) in a salon. I eventually met someone and decided to stay I ended up getting plenty of job offers from salons and went with Wink salon in the CBD in Sydney. I was sponsored on a 5 year business visa and then applied for permanent residency.

I have to say I didnt enjoy it as much as working in london especially when the air con packed up lol. I left a full clientèle to go travelling and a full clientelle when I left Oz to come home to London. There are plenty of jobs for good hairdressers out there just hunt out a good salon that you feel you will be comfortable working in.

And if anyone asks for your hairdressing licence just show them your NVQ certificate. I actually went to tafe (Oz College) to do all the trade tests to get my aussie hairdressing licence as I was told i needed to for my business visa application (dont bother! you dont need it, just take copies of your UK certificates).

Hey chris,

Thanks alot for your message...

Im really looking forward to trying a different lifestyle. Im a bit sad that im leaving all my clients though but I just keep thinking I wont know until I try.

Would you go back there ?

Rach

Hey Im on the Gold Coast, I moved from London, Money is better in the UK via a salon in my opinion.

I have found it pretty good but I am mobile and have a few contacts.. My only struggle with being mobile is sourcing things the same as UK, had to change a few of my methods, I was Goldwell trained but have since had to change.

Like someone else said if you are good at Blonde your IN.. also extensions are big here! I used to do lots in London but I haven't been able to source good hair suppliers here.. In saying that if anyone knows of any please please let me know!!!

Good luck and Oz is pretty amazing!!

Hey! I'm a hairdresser and have just left beautiful Australia!! We travelled all around the country but I always had a job in a salon. There are plenty of jobs for hairdressers butttttt...sometimes hard to get one if your in a working holiday visa as your only allowed to work in one place legally for 6 months. So loads of people turned me down once they knew this! In the end a job I had to tell some fibs and say my bf was sponsored which means we could stay up to four years I think! It worked tho, I felt bad but it was that or no food!! They seem to love ombré etc over there, plenty of tape extensions and tbh I didn't do a lot of exciting hair cuts! Most people just wanted trims which was annoying, but I guess each salon is different!! Good luck..try your best to get sponsored, I wish I did. You will seriously have the time of your life. Pops melbourne is the best, go there!!

Well im here in Australia and im loving the weather and cant wait to get started with work in a salon :)

Ahhh cheers. How are you finding work ?

I do part time mobile.. It's not bad but I have had to change color houses etc to make it work.. Where about are you in oz?

Im in Melbourne at the min. Heading to sydney and looking for work werver we get a key b we will go to!

Did you come iver on a working holiday visa first off ?

*job not key - predictive lol

Yeah I came here on working visa, met someone and got perm residency. I have
been here on off for 11years... I have few friends that did working visa and got sponsored and skilled visas etc..

You will find something easy in Melbourne

Oh wow thats great! were are you based now? Im originally from Liverpool. Were thinking of settling in Perth maybe or sydney :)

I'm now based on the Gold Coast, Sydney and Perth are both great I'd more likely go to Perth if I was in your position.. Sure you will over anywhere here, just be prepared to miss the UK, totally different lifestyle here

Ye hopefully we will get work. Im not too sure how sponsorship works ect.. some of the response im feeling is they dont want to employ you if you are on a working holiday visa :-/

Yeah sometimes they have issues with that and especially if you speak to them or they see your CV being all British. Smaller salons wouldn't have a problem Im sure.. it will all work out perfectly!! You will love it!

Hi everyone on this thread, I'm now coming to the end of my working holiday visa and I have to say you were all right, it's been fantastic and I was never short of work. What an amazing year and an amazing country!!! I miss the UK, as it is a very different lifestyle here but one I've really loved getting into. I'm in sydney now working for a salon in bondi. It's such a different way of working in this salon, maybe because of where it is I feel like a conveyor belt hairdresser. But all good experience and sydney is awesome. Going back to the UK IN 6 weeks which I have mixed feelings about!!

Latest posts

Back