Highlift on dark hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohkayrami

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done high lift color on dark hair ,level 3 and under ? I usually pre lighten but I thought maybe that might be a healthier for the integrity of the hair,any tips? Gonna use Blondor and goldwell since it seems like a favorit unless any one recommends anything different! Thanks in advanced

Attachments

• 1439496745963.jpg
    1439496745963.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 87
Surely no matter what highlift you use on a level 3 it's not going to lift to a 7! Would be a nice shade of orange [emoji30]

I don't know how you would keep the integrity of the hair as you use 12% with high lifts. Low and slow is always best. High lifts are not designed for such low levels.

On a 3 and 4 you'll probably get lift but there will not be enough tone for that level, but you could add mix tone. Even though they might say 4 to 5 levels you are looking at less than that really so think about your undercoat that you're exposing.

I use highlifts sometimes with my balayage on darker levels for those burnt toffee/ caramel tones.

On a level 3 highlifts will usually be far too warm, unless you have a highlift brown designed for darker bases, but I haven't use one of them before. Or maybe something like Aveda Full Spectrum Deep where you can control the ammonia and the amount of tone.

When I have taken a level 3 to a 7, I prelift the hair first with a level 10 colour until it is a level 6 and then recolour with a level 7 colour and the appropriate ash tone and 20vol. This way you will get enough lift but also get the full colour deposit that you lose when trying to lift too much in one go.

On some hair types you would get it to a level 6 with 30vol but would just need to add in some extra mix tone to control the warmth.

Last edited:
Thank you sugar and Adam ,I think you understood what I meant best. I have used the high lift brown and reds but never tried to apply high lights or any color after. I am definitely gonna test strand it though. Thanks!

Thank you sugar and Adam ,I think you understood what I meant best. I have used the high lift brown and reds but never tried to apply high lights or any color after. I am definitely gonna test strand it though. Thanks!
Is this for highlights? If so,goldwell have something called neutralights in diferent shades specifally for dark bases,ive just got some but havnt tried them yet.:)

Igora high power browns! aslong as its virgin (obvs) this can lift up to 3/4 shades!

Natural 10 or cool 10? What volume of developer do you use?
I guess it doesn't matter. I would rather use a warm/neutral so I don't get ashy temples and will be able to tone down mostly the interior as the hairline grabs fastest.

Natural 10 or cool 10? What volume of developer do you use?
Natural 10 or clear with 20/30vol. Nothing with too much tone or depth, so your next colour will still lift.

Sorry to jump on your post but I can't find how to start my own! Need some advice asap! My client has mousey light brown roots shafe 7 ish with grey around hairline and bits in parting. She wants highlights so that when grey grows through it looks more natural and blended. I haven't got much experience with highlighting greys. Should I use bleach or permanent colour and with what developer?? She wants it light enough to blend with the greys but length is a sandy colour..feel pretty confused as to what to do!

If its all virgin then why not use high lift :) if shes ever had colour through the ends that's when you'll need to consider bleach!

Latest posts

Back