My big decision

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My boyfriend has strongly discouraged me from doing the he thinks ,as you do that it's no where near enough money for the hours and I would never see the children. He thinks I should go to work in a different type of salon to gain experience though rather than staying where I am and doing courses and education! He says a certificate can't beat experience- even if it is with CND lol!

I have to agree with your boyfriend here. ... my only concern is does the salary actually increase from 14k in any salon. If so I don't think by much?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I personally wouldn't jump straight into doing that many hours it doesn't sound worth stand you would probably end up hating doing nails! Stick with your current job, can you maybe find a salon to do work on a Saturday or alternate so it doesn't take away too much family time. You will get the busy salon experience and build up from that when you feel ready.
I had a few years out of the industry (beauty) and did just that worked in a factory during the week but introduced saturdays to gain confidence and experience eventually quitting the factory to just work in the salon, now i'm renting my own room, but its taken time, just be patient x

I have to agree with your boyfriend here. ... my only concern is does the salary actually increase from 14k in any salon. If so I don't think by much?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm not sure it does virtues- I think in this industry it's much more lucrative working for yourself for example some of the more expensive salons and techs charge £40 for full sets and £45 for shellac! The thing is I actually wouldn't mind working part time for a low wage as long as I had a few days to myself where i could see the kids and do my mobile work but this job would allow no time for that at all- AND it's a low wage!!!!

I personally wouldn't jump straight into doing that many hours it doesn't sound worth stand you would probably end up hating doing nails! Stick with your current job, can you maybe find a salon to do work on a Saturday or alternate so it doesn't take away too much family time. You will get the busy salon experience and build up from that when you feel ready.
I had a few years out of the industry (beauty) and did just that worked in a factory during the week but introduced saturdays to gain confidence and experience eventually quitting the factory to just work in the salon, now i'm renting my own room, but its taken time, just be patient x

Regular Saturday work is ideal for me- I would even do it voluntarily for a short time- I haven't seen any roles just for Saturdays so far though but I will keep looking- maybe it's a case of dropping my cv in to places?!

What do you do now? To gain experience etc? I would love a home salon but my space is limited - I don't have the spare room noa

I would recommend a part time spa job. Maybe as a weekend thing. This will be a good way to get experience. When I worked in spas i worked on the basis that because the pay is low and the work very physical I decided I wanted the experience more than the hours and made financial adjustments in my life to accommodate that.

Rightly or wrongly, employed roles are great for experience but not often pay. An employed role is probably most valuable when you want experience even if that means making a few sacrifices.

Maybe ask the potential employer if they will take you on less hours or find someone who will.

I would recommend a part time spa job. Maybe as a weekend thing. This will be a good way to get experience. When I worked in spas i worked on the basis that because the pay is low and the work very physical I decided I wanted the experience more than the hours and made financial adjustments in my life to accommodate that.

Rightly or wrongly, employed roles are great for experience but not often pay. An employed role is probably most valuable when you want experience even if that means making a few sacrifices.

Maybe ask the potential employer if they will take you on less hours or find someone who will.

Sounds like a plan. I've emailed them to ask!

Regular Saturday work is ideal for me- I would even do it voluntarily for a short time- I haven't seen any roles just for Saturdays so far though but I will keep looking- maybe it's a case of dropping my cv in to places?!

good luck x

Hazel eyes I'm a qualified hairdresser did it for 10 years but when I had my last child I stopped to look after them, I did a mani pedi course years ago and I loved it but never worked anywhere which I was able to do it alongside hair so I'm at college now doing beauty and I love it, im hoping to use my dining room once ive qualified as we hardly use it. But I would like a salon job even if it's voluntary just to gain experience for a little while, it's hard for us mums to fit everything in isn't it!

Hazel eyes I'm a qualified hairdresser did it for 10 years but when I had my last child I stopped to look after them, I did a mani pedi course years ago and I loved it but never worked anywhere which I was able to do it alongside hair so I'm at college now doing beauty and I love it, im hoping to use my dining room once ive qualified as we hardly use it. But I would like a salon job even if it's voluntary just to gain experience for a little while, it's hard for us mums to fit everything in isn't it!

Hey lauramum- using your dining room sounds like a perfect idea really to help u be at home more and work but yeah it's so hard to get that initial experience in as a parent. Childcare is so expensive making voluntary work really hard to get which fits in with child friendly hours!! It's just hard to know what exactly is the best way to get where you want to be!!! My house is open plan so when I do clients at home in the evenings my partner has to take the kids upstairs which isn't ideal at all! :-(

Last edited:
Go for what works for you right now, with childcare etc.

My personal opinion is if you want to eventually have your own salon, work on that. Get more training, advertise, network, build your clientele.
Then once you feel your getting busy drop the admin job and concentrate on your business. At least you can manage your time to accommodate the children.

I've never worked in a salon, I'm working full time, and opened my home salon last nove. I have a family but not small kids. I was approached by high st salons to do nails there, I refused as my aim is to build my business.

Good luck with what ever you decide!

Go for what works for you right now, with childcare etc.

My personal opinion is if you want to eventually have your own salon, work on that. Get more training, advertise, network, build your clientele.
Then once you feel your getting busy drop the admin job and concentrate on your business. At least you can manage your time to accommodate the children.

I've never worked in a salon, I'm working full time, and opened my home salon last nove. I have a family but not small kids. I was approached by high st salons to do nails there, I refused as my aim is to build my business.

Good luck with what ever you decide!

Excellent what a great inspiration! This is what aspire to do but I just felt you have to have Salk. Experience to get good! Working from home would be great for me with the kids as I could work it around school times etc.thanks for sharing your story x

Evening Hazeleyes, you've had some really positive comments from everyone. Hope that has helped you to find a medium. I know how hard it is to work and worry about childcare, those days for me a long gone, my girl will be 18 next birthday! Gulp ....I feel old:sad:

Evening Hazeleyes, you've had some really positive comments from everyone. Hope that has helped you to find a medium. I know how hard it is to work and worry about childcare, those days for me a long gone, my girl will be 18 next birthday! Gulp ....I feel old:sad:

Hi virtues!

I know it will fly by- Blink and you miss it as they say....

Yes I have a clear idea of my next steps now, less afraid of stepping out and relying on myself and working for myself than I was earlier!

Xxx

Latest posts

Back