Online Nail Course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauramum2twins

Reaction score
Hey, am looking at getting into Nails Lashes Brows etc, I am a very busy mum to 5 kids, my youngest twins are 11 months old so looking for a potential career switch, but need something to earn extra ££ in the meantime! Are online courses a waste of time?

Hi, welcome, with a practical skill like nails you really need in person training. So much is about angles and technique, these things cannot be shown, adjusted or tweaked on-line, you need to actually feel, touch and be physically adjusted when corrections are needed.

Once your foundation is in place then absolutely yes online has its place because it's building on your existing knowledge.

It also takes a long time to be competent, most say it's 2 years before they feel confident to approach anything that arrives at their nail table.

Hi, welcome, with a practical skill like nails you really need in person training. So much is about angles and technique, these things cannot be shown, adjusted or tweaked on-line, you need to actually feel, touch and be physically adjusted when corrections are needed.

Once your foundation is in place then absolutely yes online has its place because it's building on your existing knowledge.

It also takes a long time to be competent, most say it's 2 years before they feel confident to approach anything that arrives at their nail table.
Thank you! That makes perfect sense the need for the physical side, there is a course at my local college but it's an evening course for 18wks learning mani pedi gel polish and gel extensions I may look into this but the 2yr part has me thinking if I'd be wasting my time altogether

Thank you! That makes perfect sense the need for the physical side, there is a course at my local college but it's an evening course for 18wks learning mani pedi gel polish and gel extensions I may look into this but the 2yr part has me thinking if I'd be wasting my time altogether

It depends on what you want from nails...if it's a career now and in the future then anything you do will take time, practice and learning to become competent and able to run a business to support you and your family. If you're looking for a quick win, fast money maker nails is probably not the route to take.

All beauty treatments will take time to learn and perfect, people are paying you for a service they expect a lot, moreover now in a cost of living crisis. If customers choose to fit us in their budget we have give the best they can get, there are other providers waiting in the wings.

Last edited:
It will definitely be worth studying for 18 weeks as part of your learning journey, in fact I’d say it is a better way to learn than say a full time course because you’ll have lots of time to practise in between lessons and get feedback on any issues you struggle with.

Don’t expect to be ready to take on clients at the end of the course - it will absolutely depend on the amount of practise you have had and how you are planning on finding work. Some people are able to learn on friends who are happy to pay mates rates, others have to find paying customers who expect s service within your skill level.

The more you practise the better you’ll be. They’ll be some anxious moments and one or two fails in your first year, but nothing that you can’t bounce back from. By the end of your second year you’ll have the experience to know what work you want and what will never be your thing. I don’t do French any more and I don’t mind refusing, I just explain that I don’t do enough to keep my skills sharp.

It’s the same with all beauty treatments, I struggled to learn waxing so I put myself on Groupon. 72 leg waxes and 68 bikinis later I was confident in my skills. Now waxing is about half my turnover so definitely worth the time and effort I invested.

As you have a family it’s probably not practical to be an employee for a couple of years. That’s how most people learn. I’ve only ever been self employed and I made it, so can you.

Latest posts

Back