Please help before I waste any more money

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OPI for me but sure it's personal not tried CND which I'm sure will be equally good x

I love opi but also have cnd xx I have to say 90 percent of my work is shellac now though x

I love CND polishes which I stock but also like OPI.

One thing I would say to be cautious about though is if you are wanting to also retail then be mindful that OPI can be bought in Boots, John Lewis etc so clients wouldn't have to buy from you and therefore you risk losing sales. If you go for a professional only brand then you're going to get retail sales :)

I use orly and I love it! Did think about OPI as they have some great colours but they seem to be everywhere and that put me off a bit.

Opi.. Always been my fave.. Lovely colours and loads to choose from..

Used cnd in my previous salon and they were nice polishes too :) opi is just my personal favourite!!

I love OPI and Spa Ritual.. Both supply an amazing range of colours and are easy to apply :) x

OPI, Nubar and CND for me!

OPI, amazing range of colours.

Nubar, I love the formula and it seems to go on very nicely

Cnd, dries quickly and the colour are gorgeous. I love the effect stuff.

Last edited:
It is a personal preference as to what you choose ...I use OPI, Nubar and Essie :) I love them all :)
I am actulally a gelish lover so right now i am have a gelish french which has been on for over a week now so just to have a little color i painted over the top of it with Essie ....Bobbing for Boubles......My gelish is not ready to take off yet so when i remove my essie polish i will still have my lovely gelish french:) I have the best of both worlds :)

Love CND color and effects. I also like OPI and Orly.

OPI's my tops aswell but I also use ORLY, Finger Paints, Venique and Deborrah Lippman. Actually DL is my fave but it's pricey so I have more OPI. I'm not crazy about China Glaze.

Jessica for me. Beautiful colours, lasts very well, wonderful retail potential.

P x

I always wonder why folks say, "I use this or that and love it, works for me" yada yada but never say why. If I was asking for help with choosing something I would want to know WHY and the features and benefits to using a recommended choice?...

For me it's CND ...
WHY?

Dries faster than any other polish I have tried.

Colours are richly pigmented and two thin coats is all you need.

With both the CND Colours and Effects available, it is the most economic range around to produce hundreds and hundreds of colour options.

Brush makes smooth polishing perfect.

Special requirements? Yes ... you need to be able to polish competently and quickly as the polish dries so fast.

I suggest you buy a really lovely red from the range and try it! Can't go wrong with a good red and no money wasted. All nail treatments are available too from matte top coat to a brilliant ridge filler, toughen Up Nail strengthener, base and top coats etc.

I always wonder why folks say, "I use this or that and love it, works for me" yada yada but never say why. If I was asking for help with choosing something I would want to know WHY and the features and benefits to using a recommended choice?...

For me it's CND ...
WHY?

With both the CND Colours and Effects available, it is the most economic range around to produce hundreds and hundreds of colour options.

Special requirements? Yes ... you need to be able to polish competently and quickly as the polish dries so fast.

I suggest you buy a really lovely red from the range and try it! Can't go wrong with a good red and no money wasted. All nail treatments are available too from matte top coat to a brilliant ridge filler, toughen Up Nail strengthener, base and top coats etc.

After all your years of experience and product knowledge(of which I know you have loads and make for very interesting reading)...if you had to start over in the business, what would be your essentials? :) x

After all your years of experience and product knowledge(of which I know you have loads and make for very interesting reading)...if you had to start over in the business, what would be your essentials? :) x
I'm not sure I get your question. What essentials would I look for in a polish range? If that is your question, which is the topic of this thread, then I would list all the things I listed above. I also would buy a range that is professional use only.

Gigi, thank you so much for pointing this out! This is what I need in life- good straight to the point direction. I added why I like my choices now :hug:

For me it's CND ...
WHY?

Thanks, that's all I wanted to know, I start my complete course the end of this month, will be able to start practising my manicures a couple of weeks after I start. You have probably seen so many products come and go, but there are still loads on the market. I see threads on wasting money, branded polishes in superdrug, boots etc, issues with retailing professional brands and the list goes on. This site makes you think of all aspects of the industry, including the problems and worries encountered by nail techs.

For people starting out, it's good to know, after all they have done, what the professionals think and what, after everything they have tried and tested they feel are the best techniques, best ways of business and of course what are the best products so nobody has to waste any money.

I spent a lot of money on a course in a box that I barely looked at, as that type of learning doesn't suit me, if I had come on this site and sought advice in the first place I would have just spent that money on the cnd complete and been professionally trained two years ago. Thanks to being able to ask questions and listen to advice ,I now don't have to waste any more time or money :) x

Thanks for all your replys.
I'm still torm between brands, but as I use CND Shellac I think I may follow geeg's advice and grab a single colour to give a go before purchasing more.

I'm just disappointed that I couldn't make the China Glaze varnishes work. I may possibly be expecting to much as I do mainly Shellac and may expect the normal varnish to go on in the same way?

I tried to do two thin coats of the china glazae polish, but found when I put the second coat on, it did not give a smooth finish as I would expect, so again, maybe the CND varnish is better for me as I'm use to working with thin coat application

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice. x

...I do mainly Shellac and may expect the normal varnish to go on in the same way?

I'm just curious... Are you applying the polish with the same pressure as when you apply your shellac? I only ask cuz if I were to apply nail polish with the same pressure as I apply my Gelish, I'd have issues and find fault with every single polish on the market. I use china glaze as well as cnd, essie, and OPI, and if I were to apply them the way I apply gel polish, I'd find all of them would have a less than satisfactory finish. The consistency of these hybrid polishes are more forgiving than traditional polish, allowing us to be as heavy on the brush without leaving unsightly streaks as they even themselves out and don't just freeze dry like polish does. I'm only saying this because I hope when you give these polishes a try that you apply them with polish pressure, not shellac pressure, and end up thinking there's something wrong with all of them. x

I see you've made ur choice hun just wanted 2 slip another OPI vote on the thread. It has never let me down with its great shelf life, long lasting finish, lovely brushes and amazing range of colours and special additions. Worth every penny :)
I will point out that I have always had OPI and have never wanted 2 change therefore can't judge on the other brands.
Happy shopping :) xx

Latest posts

Back