Teaching Beauty Therapy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chazolate

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just finished NVQ Level 2 Beauty Therapy and I am going on to do Level 3. I started out getting some work experience and now I am doing some paid work. I am really enjoying working in a salon and it is definitely what I want to do for now. However I have been thinking in the long term I might want to go into teaching Beauty Therapy at a school or college. I know you need around 5 years experience, but I am unsure about the qualifications and teaching experience side of things. Any information would be much appreciated!
Chaz

Hi Chaz,

I'm a Trainer/Assessor of Beauty Therapy. My number one tip for you would be to stay friendly with your assessors! They actually offered me a job after my level 2, however I wanted to get some Salon experience before I went back. I guess I was just lucky.

The qualifications you need are..

A1 Assessors award, which allows you to assess whether someone is compentant in the field they are training in. You can only assess up to the Level you are qualified too. For example, if you completed your A1's now you could only Assess L2's until you do your L3. This takes about 4-6months to complete.

PTLLS - Stands for Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector.
This is your starting teacher training qualification. You have to do a lot of research into like teaching/learning styles and a micro teach session. I've been teaching for nearly 18months and have just completed this, takes about 10 weeks to complete. You can go on to do your DTLLS (Diploma in Teaching)

I did both of these while I was teaching, if that helps you in anyway..

Hope that helps, any other questions I'll try help you with!

Jo x

Hi,

Thanks for all the info! How long did you work in a salon before you went into teaching? Do you need any previous grades before taking the teaching qualifications or just G.C.S.E’s? Is the best way to get started after working in a salon for a while, just applying for a job in a college? I’m not 100% sure that it’s for me yet, as I have never experienced teaching a lesson before.

Chaz

Are the qualifications/experience for teaching in Scotland different to England? I've got my HND & been in salon for 5 years, completing numerous other courses throughout my career. Happy where I am now but was thinkin along the same lines of when I decide to kave kiddies, & when they head off to school, it'd be nice to have similar holidays so teaching would be perfect. Anyone know how you find out about this in Scotland?

Chaz..

If I'm completely Honest, I probably worked in salon for only about 2 and 1/2 years, then I got got made redundant and thought, well its now or never and went and asked at my local college where I used to study.

Which is very short in terms of what a FE college would ask for, where I work they basically do apprenticeships.

GCSE's.. not particually, obviously good grades in English and Maths are always good. Your college will train you in Key/Functional Skills which ever you deliver.

How do you think you would feel delivering beauty? Imagine yourself in that position at the front of the class..

ScotsChica,
If I'm completely honest I'm not sure about scotland, but I'm sure it will be along the same lines. I'd ask at your local college for advice.

Hope I've been of some help, I don't actually teach Beauty so much now, I do English/Maths and Personal Development but Beautys always where my heart lies! x

Latest posts

Back