The difference between acrylic liquids

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire.1611

Reaction score
This has been bugging me for a few days now, I use CND products but I ran out of acrylic liquid last week, I went to the wholesalers and bought some milennium acrylic (Liquid and powder). I have done my nails using it and it just doesn't last!
It was akward to use (that could possibly be down to my inexperience though) and it keeps chipping and I've lost a few nails already - one of them popped straight off! In the past when I've done my own nails using CND acrylic they have lasted a good 2-3 weeks (bear in mind I'm really rough with my hands and nails).
So what I'm wondering is what is the difference? Does one brand contain more of a certain product than another?
I admit I've learnt the hard way - buy cheap, buy twice!

You've answered your own question!

The best way for a professional technician to choose the brand they prefer to use is to try several.

I admit I've learnt the hard way - buy cheap, buy twice!

This is a great rule in life!

Most nail liquids are based on simple formulas with combinations of basic methacrylic monomers and additives for curing. Most of these have poor adhesive properties, hence they need a primer to make them stick

Some leading manufacturers actually create their own very special recipies and research new monomers to help with the issues that most 'acrylic' formulas suffer from. Take CND for instance - they are one of the leaders in research and development. I have spent many an hour chatting with Doug Schoon about monomers and possibilities... He tells a great story about discovering the ingredient that covalently bonded to the nail without primer; therefore allowing Retention+ to exist!

CND were the first to create a non MMA liquid, the first primerless liquid, the first to do a truly hypoallergenic gel with methacrylates...

You really do get what you pay for in this life...

Hth's

A good rule to remember is never run out of your core products and be forced into doing something so foolish as to mix the monomer of one brand with the powder of another. You NEVER do this .. EVER.

A good rule to remember is never run out of your core products and be forced into doing something so foolish as to mix the monomer of one brand with the powder of another. You NEVER do this .. EVER.

Can you explain exactly why?

Treat your self to a new bottle of retention + , i just did and got a free sculpting brush with it , theres some great offers on with monomer at Sweet Squared at the moment , no excuse to run out :)

Can you explain exactly why?

Tell me ... Why do you think it might be? Then I'll tell you if you don't know.

Don't worry, I didn't mix the products, I bought millennium liquid as well as the powder. Nowhere near as good as CND! Like I said, I've learnt the hard way!

Treat your self to a new bottle of retention + , i just did and got a free sculpting brush with it , theres some great offers on with monomer at Sweet Squared at the moment , no excuse to run out :)

Lack of cash was my excuse last week! :o

Tell me ... Why do you think it might be? Then I'll tell you if you don't know.

I know, was asking for the benefit of the lady who started the thread , information is power! ;-)

Lack of cash was my excuse last week! :o

You know what .. someone once told me ... we nail technicians make CASH ... allot more than we spend on the products we use .. so why should a nail tech ever be out of cash??? Answer ... Because you are spending it on other things apart from putting some aside for the important products that you need to make more cash!!! ALWAYS put some of what you earn aside so that you can buy what you need and then buy only what you need and not the stuff you really don't need. xx

I know, was asking for the benefit of the lady who started the thread , information is power! ;-)

Then why not give us the benefit of your knowledge and share that powerful information with all of us? Why should I do all the work?? lol

Then why not give us the benefit of your knowledge and share that powerful information with all of us?

Nail product manufacturers spend a great deal of time in research, development and testing prior to releasing a product.* The type and combination of chemicals in any given nail product line are designed to work together as a complete unit in order to achieve the best possible results.* Every manufacturers line of products have their own nuances and because of this, mixing products from different lines may result in various forms of service breakdown.* For long-term wearability, always use complete systems when applying artificial nail enhancements. Always follow the manufacturers instructions and read and understand the warning labels on all your products.

Owzat?

Nail product manufacturers spend a great deal of time in research, development and testing prior to releasing a product.* The type and combination of chemicals in any given nail product line are designed to work together as a complete unit in order to achieve the best possible results.* Every manufacturers line of products have their own nuances and because of this, mixing products from different lines may result in various forms of service breakdown.* For long-term wearability, always use complete systems when applying artificial nail enhancements. Always follow the manufacturers instructions and read and understand the warning labels on all your products.

Owzat?

Sounds like something from hooked on nails ...... but well done for finding it .... I hope you learned something.

Sounds like something from hooked on nails ...... but well done for finding it .... I hope you learned something.

Thank you so much!

He tells a great story about discovering the ingredient that covalently bonded to the nail without primer; therefore allowing Retention+ to exist!

CND were the first to create a non MMA liquid, the first primerless liquid, the first to do a truly hypoallergenic gel with methacrylates...

Interesting that you should say this.
I was CND trained and was trained to use acid-free primer. If the ingredients in Retention + covalently bond to the nail (without primer as you say) why is there a need for it????
I have sometimes forgotten to apply the primer and IMO it doesnt seem to make a difference.

Interesting that you should say this.
I was CND trained and was trained to use acid-free primer. If the ingredients in Retention + covalently bond to the nail (without primer as you say) why is there a need for it????
I have sometimes forgotten to apply the primer and IMO it doesnt seem to make a difference.

There isn't a need for it. I haven't used primer, either acid or acid free in 15 years with CND products. THE nails don't need it but students sometimes Do while they are getting to grips with pressing and smoothing and lifting issues. Once they learn to press the product firmly onto the nail the need for it as an aid to adhesion goes. Quit using it ... you obviously have outgrown it. x

Acid free primer is still in use for 2 reason -

1) so that non CND product users have an alternative to acid based primers

2) for techs converting to CND it is still used as they can't break the habit of 'having to have' primer for nails to work...

But as geeg said it is totally not required when using CND retention+ or Moxie

hth's

Nothing new no, but don't you find cut & paste is is a magical thing?! A touch of plagiarism never did anyone any harm. Saves all that typing! Sbrilliant!:D

Last edited:
Nothing new no, but don't you find cut & paste is is a magical thing?! A touch of plagiarism never did anyone any harm. Saves all that typing! Sbrilliant!:D

As a matter of fact I don't ... I've never done it and never passed on anything that was someone else's while trying to pretend it was my own either. But that's just me. I like to give the credit to those who deserve it rather than trying to take the credit or pretend otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back