Total newbie looking for advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HannahKate

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I'm about to do a complete nail tech course and I'm soo excited!
Im already quite experienced in basic nails but there are a few things I'm not sure about.
There are a few courses near me, accredited by ABT and BABTEC, is there a preferred accreditor out of those two? What's the difference?
Also, it looks like most courses are £300 - £350 and cover mani pedi, gels, acrylics and gel extensions.
Does that sound about right?
Also, let's just imagine that it all goes well and I end up with a good kit and client base, how do I sort out tax?
I have no space for a beauty room at home so it's either a case of having a small little foldaway table at home that I can pack away or be mobile. Do yo enjoy home or mobile more?
I guess I'm just thinking of the future and hoping it will all be worth it!
Thanks so much for any info, greatly appreciated

Also I've been practising with Blue Sky polish which has worked well for me so far, anyone used this stuff before?

Courses differ in cost depending who you train with. Beware of the online only courses and day courses.

With regards to bluesky I wouldn't recommend, and certainly not on clients.

I'll second not using Bluesky. Also, you shouldn't be practicing before. You'll learn bad habits, which are so very hard to unlearn.

Thankyou
I'm struggling to pick a course, there aren't many near me (I'm in Norwich) and I can't travel far due to childcare etc
There are courses that seem to cram LOADS into 4-5 days and then there are courses that cover one aspect per day, do you think it's best to learn as much as possible in that time or spend more time focussing on less?
Is there a reputable accreditor that I should look for or sway towards in terms of getting qualified?
Thankyou!

Thankyou
I'm struggling to pick a course, there aren't many near me (I'm in Norwich) and I can't travel far due to childcare etc
There are courses that seem to cram LOADS into 4-5 days and then there are courses that cover one aspect per day, do you think it's best to learn as much as possible in that time or spend more time focussing on less?
Is there a reputable accreditor that I should look for or sway towards in terms of getting qualified?
Thankyou!

CND do their Shellac course over two days, CND is one of the world leaders in nail products and training....i think that gives you an idea of what you should expect from a training course. Their enhancement foundation is 10 days now I think (was 5 in my day), how can anyone learn 3 separate skills in 1/2/3 days when a world leader in training says it'll take 10 days for beginner foundation

Pay cheap pay twice is never truer than in nail training

Not far from me then... next step beauty are based in Attleborough. ....there are others but i recommend them... however .. i already have an nvq levellevel 2... but i still recommend nsb....
mobile.... i hated it... pack away get it out pack away get it out..... and on it goes... just not profitable for me....
bluesky.... =shi*e...thick gloopy rubbish... get decent gel polish... ibd... cnd... InkLondon. .. gelish....
Tax.... i wouldnt even worry about that yet....
Do your training days... get some kit... and practice your pants off....
Best of luck x

Oh and remember nsb are not brand specific. .. if you do the cnd course... you will only be qualified to use their products....

You can learn the basics in 3 days.... or 10..... but they cant teach experience. ... even the cnd course tutors cant do that...

Wow thanks everyone
I've heard and read the CND training is the best, I'm confused though as its only 2 days and everywhere else is 4-5?
Also, if it's home based, and you need a model on day 2, how will you show your work that you've done on the model?
Just trying to get my head around it all.
I'm super eager and excited!

Oooh yes next step beauty is one I've seen crop up, ok great that's the first recommendation I've had
Sure pass in the city do a complete nail tech course too which would be mega convenient but no idea if it's any good.

I know it's going to take time to get myself started but I can't wait! When I've been to get my nails done lately I look at all the kit and the amounts of colours these girls have and i just think to myself wow you've spent loads on all this now that I've been online browsing at how much everything costs!

Need to learn more about how this CND training works I think, people are raving about it.
So is it 2 days to learn JUST gels, and a 10 day course to learn all the other stuff?

thankyou everyone xx

Oooh yes next step beauty is one I've seen crop up, ok great that's the first recommendation I've had
Sure pass in the city do a complete nail tech course too which would be mega convenient but no idea if it's any good.

I know it's going to take time to get myself started but I can't wait! When I've been to get my nails done lately I look at all the kit and the amounts of colours these girls have and i just think to myself wow you've spent loads on all this now that I've been online browsing at how much everything costs!

Need to learn more about how this CND training works I think, people are raving about it.
So is it 2 days to learn JUST gels, and a 10 day course to learn all the other stuff?

thankyou everyone xx

Ok let's answer the CND questions

First thing to remember CND is Shellac not gels. You would never sell CND Shellac as a gel polish NOR should you call a gel polish a Shellac.

2. It takes 2 days to learn the CND Shellac system in a practical environment. The theory element is home learning, you will do an exam prior to your practical learning, A further exam after day 1 at the academy and then an assessment at the end. You will come out with an accredited certificate.

3. Further courses are offered by CND to do skill building such as Art and styles, seasonal trends, perfect polishing, luxury manicure etc.

4. It takes approx 10 days + home theory to learn enhancements.

5. CND are brand specific however the certificate covers basic manicure, which allows you to then convert to a different brand - although why would you convert?

6. Your certificate also allows you to open trade accounts with suppliers and wholesalers in order to purchase goods. You will never need to resort to eBay.

7. Your CND certificate is accredited and will allow you to gain insurance to work as a nail professional (to the extent of your qualification)

8. CND creative academies are based throughout the UK, they offer ongoing support. Education Ambassadors are always on hand to answer questions. I know the names of EAs based from Scotland to London, even though I trained in Manchester.

Next Step Beauty are accredited also and offer plenty of courses at a reasonable cost. I believe they also offer ongoing support. Friends of mine have trained with them and have had no issues.

Whatever you choose should be on personal preference.... but buy cheap pay twice.

What about doing city college? Or what used to be Jackie Hamilton school of beauty? Afraid am not a fan of any short courses!

What about doing city college? Or what used to be Jackie Hamilton school of beauty? Afraid am not a fan of any short courses!

The OP already believes they are experienced despite having no training, they have been practising on other people. I think in this case, a course that will offer World class training in one aspect and over a shorter space of time would be more ideal for the OP.

I would be more concerned that an overly enthusiastic person would set up business prior to being qualified.

CND will only train you in the Shellac system over the course of those 2 days plus home learning theory.

Then there is further training available. Even in enhancements training, you can attend further courses to refine skills.

Some other gel polish courses will train in a few hours, which supposedly includes theory - I would be wary of that type of short course.
Some will attempt to train l&p in a day.

Then there is the online '£19' learn how to be a nail tech. All out of date theory. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!!

Have you looked at a level 3 at your local college? You will gain practical experience in a salon (either on/off site)whilst studying.

I love in Suffolk so not far from you. I did a intense week course which was around £300 and covered mani,pedi,acrylic and gel. I wouldn't recommend. I ended up redoing all my training again because it was just way too much info in one week to take in and wasn't detailed enough. I ended up training all over again with nail harmony who were local. I did a 2 day Gelish gel polish course with them, 3 day acrylic course and then the same with gel and I learnt sooooooo much more!

Next step beauty I wouldn't recommend, I had a lot of problems with this company :(

Thanks guys

I haven't been practising on others, only myself. I want to wait until I'm qualified before I do that.

I looked briefly at college but there doesn't seem to be an evening option, and I have 2 small children during the day (no one to look after them if I went to college, but that's a different story!)

I really like the sound of CND training but I don't think anywhere in Norwich does that, and I'm unable to travel far due to the kids and my main night shift job.

So I think maybe next step beauty sounds like my next best option baring all of that in mind.

In the next step beauty course they teach fibre glass / silk wrap, which isn't something I've ever come across before. Is there a demand for those?

I haven't heard of Jackie Hamilton but I'll have a little look

Don't worry I'm not trying to set up a business without obtaining relevant training and experience, and certainly won't be doing any super cheap online courses!

Oh really Mandy?
Ok, maybe not NSB then!
Where were nail harmony based please?

They have training centres all over the county. Here's the email of the lady who I did my training with. She covers Suffolk and Essex. [email protected]
I can't remember where exactly it was but I live in bury at Edmunds and I know it was less than an hour travel :) and the training was fab xx

I've only recently qualified but I did look as NSB however after reading a lot of horror stories I'm glad I didn't go with them!

I've been retraining with CND after completing a generic course years ago and I have to say I find it amazing! I've learnt more in the 2 courses that I've done (shellac and l&p conversion) than I did ever in the other. I'm now doing a spa mani&pedi conversion course.
The support that we have from the educators is brilliant and whenever I've had a query she answers me asap

Latest posts

Back