Voluntary work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Girls'? I think only one geek is being negative,i think its a great opportunity in a salon she knows and is known in, go for it :biggrin:

...Such a shame when people take things personally....surely you should know there is no emotion in business!

I take it you didn't read the part where I understood the reasons for Abigail's desire to work in a salon and how hard it was etc and just be aware of the implications of this for her, not the owner...the saddest part is she will do it for nothing. For me as an employer it is morally wrong. How can you watch someone work in your salon servicing your own customers for nothing and potentially no insurance. To be honest if she lived in Southampton I would invite her into my salon for experience AND pay her, and make sure that she was insured - that is the difference!

Probably the majority of people on this thread don't agree with cheap deals or reducing service costs to clients and are quite happy for people to work for nothing and accept that as a "gift"...... REALLY!...

Last edited:
Come on girls don't put a downer on her first job in a salon, and it's hard to get in 1 when your first starting out, be it paid or unpaid she's nervous and just needed some advice.. Either way she's doin what she wants to do.. Well done Abigail on gettin a place in a salon :) let us know how you get on :) x

Thank you so much for those kind words, it means a lot. I will be sure to let you know how my day went :) And good luck finding work within a salon. I'm sure you'll find one soon when the right job comes along :) x

Abigail hunni, well done you for going out and getting a job be it unpaid or paid you are one of the few women every salon owner would want (one speaking here) it shows you are so happy and focused your not in it for the money but for the joy of it all. You will be doing teas coffees cleaning washing hair but they will guid you through, at college you will learn reception work, wash Blowdry setting and hair basics, be a sponge in the salon and watch everything! What they do, why, how, at what angles, conversations, from this you will gain so much self confidence that you will excel both in yourself, your work and college! Don't be put off by above!

Thank you for your reply. Your kind words have made me feel less nervous and a lot more positive. And your information and advice has been very helpful, thank you :)

Thank you everyone for your encouragement :)

Well done Abigail.

Like it was said before, you will be making tea and sweeping and cleaning and shampooing. But watch those stylists like a hawk. Asks questions when you can, preferably not in front of the client, but go to the stylist after and ask "hey, you know when you were doing that thing with that ladies hair, what does that do" etc. watching and talking are some of the best ways to diversify your skills.
Make your shampoo the best shampoo that client has had, and you will become an asset to the owner :)

Concentrate on getting your blow drys perfected, and in good time, and that will be the next thing you will step up to. If she has a Dolly's head, maybe show your colour application in conditioner to her. And you can start applying tints etc. (at this stage you might want to think about talking money)

On another note, I can see where virtues is coming from. She is wise to not always assume the best from people. Something I'd like to add in to what she was saying, is that it might be wise to get an agreement with the owner, if she calls you to work anymore days than your one day, then you should be paid. The owner shouldn't have a problem with is. If you are good to her salon and her, she should (read, should, most bosses aren't always like this), be good to you back.

All the best. And good on you for going out and giving it your all. I would kill to know there were stylists and apprentices like that in my area. They've all spent too much time in the sun and don't know what a hard days work is!

Universities encourage voluntary work, to gain points for your Ucas applications. The job centre encourages voluntary work to gain experience.

So I don't see why this is any different.

Of course it would be better for it to be paid experience, & Yes insurance is a big worry, but she can be put on their insurance.

Unfortunately as suggested above, (to pay you for any extra days worked) is not allowed as you would then be an employee & qualify for minimum wage for all the hours you have worked.

https://www.gov.uk/volunteering/when-people-can-volunteer

Good luck 🍀 I worked as a saturday girl (well 2 evenings & saturday) in a hair salon, I really enjoyed every minute. They employed a qualified college leaver with no salon experience, in my school holidays when I did extra shifts, & I knew how the salon worked & what to do, I ended up teaching her as she would stand there staring out of the window as there was 'nothing to do' as she didn't yet have clients.

As already said, absorb everything. If there are no jobs to do, rather than just sit there find some. Ask if its ok to cut foils, wipe down the display shelves, put a wash on etc. (or just ask if there are any specific things they would like you to do when you are not busy) these are things that when you are employed in the future as a junior you would be expected to do. So will be great for your reference.

Xx

Thank you so much for those kind words, it means a lot. I will be sure to let you know how my day went :) And good luck finding work within a salon. I'm sure you'll find one soon when the right job comes along :) x

Ya welcome :) Aww thank you :) x

Latest posts

Back